Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Plateau time again

Hey everyone,

I have been exercising (mostly cardio) and dieting since the beginning of the year and I have hit my second plateau.

I am thinking that I cannot cut my calories much more ( already at 1250 / day) or walk/run much more (about 1 hour a day).

So the next step I think is to start weight training...am I right?

The only problem here is that I broke my shoulder three months ago and I am currently a little restricted with how much I can actually do.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I just do core and legs for now? Or try to do arms / chest /back too?

Thanks

Mark

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Well, for the shoulder injury issue, you would need to check with your doctor on your limitations.
    Definitely mix up your program and add in something different--whether it's weight training, HIIT or whatever and I would actually think you may want to increase your calories. Are you eating back your exercise calories? I am losing and haven't eaten less than 1500 and yes, I know everyone is different but 1250 for a male and exercise for an hour seems too low
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Eat more
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Eat more

^^This.. and lift weights.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Try upping your calorie intake by a couple hundred a day
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    You are eating too little, unless you are a midget! But if you follow the forums at all you are probably aware of that. I reset my weight goals and it bumped me down to 1250 to lose 1/2 lb. a week. Friend said I need to customize it and so called a friend and he walked me thru the process. (ok, I am a bit inept at some of this stuff). Set it at 1600 calories and said I would lose 1 lb. a week. I dunno why MFP sets itself to 1200 or 1250 and then the customization says something totally different.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That is a site that was given to me. There is a huge thread on forums for roadmap which says to eat more to lose more too.

I don't want to eat 1250 calories for the rest of my life. For me this is a health thing, not one time lose the weight fast as I can, plus at my age I would get lose skin issues if I lost fast...eww.

And I think a plateau lasts longer than a week, but I could be wrong.

I am just plodding along, doing one day at a time. Wanted to reach my goal by Sept. I can see now that is so not going to happen, but I feel better and my body is thanking me daily for the weight that has come off, so will continue to be the turtle.

Good luck.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Not sure if it is really a plateau if you have had two of them already in two months. Is this just a week where possibly you didn't lose anything? I lost 50 ish pounds in 9 months. Then it took me 3 months to lose the next 10 pounds and I have lost nothing in the past month and half. I think I would be happy with a plateau that only took a week or two! :smile:

But in all seriousness, lifting will definitely help and also you do need to up your calories. 1250 is nowhere near enough for you.

Good luck!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    I have been exercising (mostly cardio) and dieting since the beginning of the year and I have hit my second plateau.

2nd?

I am thinking that I cannot cut my calories much more ( already at 1250 / day) or walk/run much more (about 1 hour a day).
    ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif
    Eat more, you are a man not a bed ridden old lady.

So the next step I think is to start weight training...am I right?

Should have been the first step but we will excuse that
    The only problem here is that I broke my shoulder three months ago and I am currently a little restricted with how much I can actually do.

No problemo, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I just do core and legs for now? Or try to do arms / chest /back too?

Compound lifts
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    A grown man eating 1250 calories/day. Can't be serious.
  • Thank you :)
  • Love that nerd fitness site PERFECT !!!! thank you
  • Hi Everyone,

Thankyou for all the help and tips.

I just wanted to clarify that the 1250/cals a day I referred to was the level that MFP suggested I consume to lose 2lbs a week.

This amount goes up if I exercise.

I don't just eat 1250/day or less as you would see by my diary (see below).

Wed 6 1995 cals
    Thurs 7 1630 cals
    Fri 8 1806 cals
    Sat 9 2245 cals

I think I need to strength train to get that weight loss 'fired-up'

Thanks for all the useful websites

Mark
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    two pounds a week isn't a healthy goal.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Strength training a must. I will add in my 2 cents that bodybuilding.com has some great programs for that. I too reached a plateau and became very frustrated that I couldn't lose the last 5 pounds so switched to sculpting the body and that has helped with the weight as well as toning.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member

Why not?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member

Why not?

It depends on how much you have to lose, and is the reason MFP recommends 1lb a week, for people with 50lb or less to lose 2lb a week isn't the healthiest way to do it because it would probably mean eating below BMR
  • nessa2cyndi
    nessa2cyndi Posts: 4 Member
    Not sure if it is really a plateau if you have had two of them already in two months. Is this just a week where possibly you didn't lose anything? I lost 50 ish pounds in 9 months. Then it took me 3 months to lose the next 10 pounds and I have lost nothing in the past month and half. I think I would be happy with a plateau that only took a week or two!

It is really discouraging when you hit the "plateau" especially when you have beend doing everything right! I've lost 100 lbs and I've hit those a few times. You just have to change it up-- try a different cardio and if you have certian foods you eat out of habit/routine (like yogurt or cereal for breakfast as an example) change it up.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Eat more

^^This.. and lift weights.

^^
  • Thanks for the website tip I will check it out :smile:
  • Can we please try to keep comments to those of a constructive nature and to norrisski's comment " why not"?
  • Thanks maybe it is time for a change :smile: