Eat Before or After u exercise??

Options
Is it best to eat before or after u exercise?? If you think its before, what are the best things to eat?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Whatever you prefer. I like to eat a protein heavy meal right after the gym for muscle repair but it doesn't really matter.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have whey protein, so can have one either before or after a workout.....!!

Best to get some protein in either way, protein shakes, protein bars, nuts, eggs, chicken, cottage cheese, yoghurts etc

A lot of people have a banana before a workout
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    if I'm hungry before my workout I will have something about 30 minutes prior (usually a few carrots or a few nuts) but usually I save my meals for after because it is easier for me to workout then (don't get an upset stomach from eating more than you should have, etc.) After a workout in the morning, I make breakfast, usually 2-3 scrambled egg whites with veggies and half of an al fresco chicken sausage) and a protein shake blended with ice, unsweetened almond milk, and 1/2 a banana. For dinner, I will make something with protein and veggies (i.e. grilled chicken and green beans, stuffed peppers--using lean beef and other veggies, no rice, taco salad, etc)
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always have an energy boost an hour to two hours before exercise. Cereal bars (I like the Kellogg's Special K ones), dried fruit, nuts and bananas are good options. I then eat a proper meal in the hour after exercising. Any questions, let me know :) Ax
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I do both - couple of eggs before and something with protein after..
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I can't eat too close to my workout (esp on cardio days) but have no problem eating right afterwards.

Until you know how your body reacts it's trial and error and go with what your body tells you it wants/needs.
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always get up and go for a run/exercise so I never eat, if Im feeling tired I might have a square of chocolate for bit of sugar kick but not sure this is a medically/healthy way! Always get a massive bowl of cereal and greek yoghurt in afterwards though :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do both...I have some fruit or something about 20-30 minutes before I lift and my whey afterwards. I can't workout overly full. In RE to cardio, generally after as I do my cardio at lunch.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I do different things based on what workout I'm doing. On my weight lifting days I'll eat a light breakfast with protein (eggs etc or a protein bar if I'm crunched for time). On my running/cardio days I'll eat some toast with peanut butter or oatmeal at least 1 hour before I hit the road. I make sure to eat within 30 minutes of getting finished with workouts. :)
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    banana, protein bar, something light, and easy before, regular meals after. I don't wnat to work out on a heavy stomach.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I workout right after I get off work so I'll usually have a snack an hour or 2 before then I just eat dinner after I get home and shower.
  • sindikumva
    Options
    For the amount of exercise that most people do at the gym (note: this is pretty much everyone who isn't an athlete training more than once a day) we really don't need to worry about fueling ourselves.

I don't like to eat 90 mins before a work out (just feels heavy when I run) and usually won't be hungry until about 30 minutes to an hour afterwards.
  • missanagarcia
    Options
    I don't think it really matters. Whatever you prefer. In the morning I workout before breakfast. I just feel that it's easier so I don't get lazy. lol. But at night I exercise like two hours after dinner. Whatever you prefer don't stress it. Whatever fits you and your schedule better :)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If I go to the gym in the morning, I try to eat something small and then have my main breakfast after. However, When I do night exercise classes, i normally can't eat after. I just am not hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've tried with no food for a while and had no energy. Now I have a protein bar at breakfast and exercise an hour later and it works great. Then I have snack/lunch (I guess brunch? lol).

Otherwise I wait an hour after dinner if I have to exercise in the evening.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I feel sick if I work out after eating but then go figure I never feel like eating right after either so I drink a hemp, cacao, banana, almond, almond milk smoothie instead. LOL
  • KendraJanay
    Options
    Thanxxx everyone! Im about to start hip hop abs (whenever it arrives) and i dnt wanna catch cramps and/or be sick if i eat or dnt eat before my workout.. ... ..I guess i hv to eat b4 one day and after the next to c which one works best for my body