Protein Powder

Options
I'm a 23 year old female that's looking to gain more muscle to tone and lean out more. Do any of you have great protein powder suggestions and when to use it? Before workout? After workout? Protein snack? Etc. One that's low in sugar? I've noticed most that I've looked at are very high in sugar. Thanks!!

Replies

• turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Maybe Pure Protein (brand)?
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    bump
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Truscience (Trutein), Gaspari and Optimum Nutrition. Depends on your tastes but they are all decent. My favorite is the first one, both for taste and for macro breakdown.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It depends.. some people just sell plain dehydrated egg white with nothing in it... A lot of protein powders will have sugar unless you get a "natural" kind. Protein powders bounce in price all the time. I just google shop and compare it against Amazon and just find the cheapest one that meets my needs.
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Isopure Zero Carb ... mixes easily

You definitely want to intake some whey protein within 30 mins following a weight lifting session
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I like to splurge on Gold Standard (Optimum Nutrition) but we (also) buy the 5lb Muscletech bags at Sam's.
  • SuperChaz
    SuperChaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nature's Best Whey Protein works well for me, and it tastes pretty good too.

There is 1.8g of sugar in a typical serving for the Strawberry flavour and 24g of protein which is a pretty good balance in my opinion

It's also Aspartame free aswell
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Lean 15 Protein Powder, the chocolate fudge flavor. 1 serving has 100 cals, 11 carbs, 15g protein, 170mg sodium, 180mg potassium, 5g fiber and only 2g of sugar! It's around $16 or so at Walmart. I will have 1 serving after weight lifting and will occasionally double it to 2 servings and use it as a meal replacement if I'm running short on time.
  • mafoote
    mafoote Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to eat about 180 grams of protein every day, so I live in this world regularly.

I take Pure Protein whey protein right after my workout, which is typically first thing in the morning.

Then if still need protein that night, I'll take Casein at bedtime. Casein is supposedly slower acting, so it's good to take at night.

I sometimes eat protein bars, but you're right they are generally high in sugar. Generally, I look for the products that have the fewest number of ingredients.

One great source of protein I eat regularly is turkey jerky (or beef jerky, buffalo jerky, etc.) Oberto is all natural, very few ingredients, and Trader Joe's also sells organic. The only downfall to this snack is it's high in sodium. But a typical mid morning snack or mid-afternoon snack for me might be 1.5 ounces of turkey jerky and 1.5 ounces of dried fruit, like Peeled Snacks Much Ado About Mango (yum). That's a total of 240 calories, 1.5 fat, 39g of carbs, 20 g protein.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Like a lot have state - I really enjoy ON gold standard whey. I have made a lot of progress just with the bodyfortress chocolate peanut butter you get at walmart though.

It honestly doesn't really matter when you take it, just view it as food to get your protein macros a little easier.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar - Chocolate and Vanilla (both are zero carbs) and are whey isolate protein. I usually have a protein shaked for breakfast or after strength training.
  • JSUGamecockFan
    JSUGamecockFan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want low calorie, high protein, give Carnivore Liquid Protein shots a try. Taste like crap, but it's 200 calories and 50 grams of beef protein in a single shot container. Plus no carbs and no sugar.
  • jaime0007
    jaime0007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 is excellent! Great flavor.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the powder is not anything more than a convenient way to eat protein. There is nothing better about it than a chicken breast or some other type of meat (assuming not a vegan). Meat can be more filling. I use Allmax Isopure, but if you read the labels you can find lots of options. I like the powder in the am and post workout mainly because it is quick and easy when I am tired.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry about slow digesting or fast digesting proteins. It's a myth. All you need to do is hit your macros you're not going to go catabolic while you sleep so drinking casein isn't any better than any other source of protein. Higher calorie proteins may have more filler in them like extra glutamine, bcaa's, minerals, amino acids... if that's important to you then that's fine. I eat meat, so I really don't need a fancy protein powder.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    A couple of eggs.........a piece of of meat. boom!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Keep in mind that the powder is not anything more than a convenient way to eat protein. There is nothing better about it than a chicken breast or some other type of meat (assuming not a vegan). Meat can be more filling. I use Allmax Isopure, but if you read the labels you can find lots of options. I like the powder in the am and post workout mainly because it is quick and easy when I am tired.

BINGO!!! This guy gets IT!!!!
  • liz2512
    liz2512 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like "the perfect milkshake" protein supplement. I've only had vanilla and chocolate and they taste really good. The womens suggested serving is 150 calories, 1.5g sugar and 18g protein. I like drinking it in the morning about 30 min before I work out.

http://theperfectfoodsco.com/
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I like Syntrax Maxtrix Mint Cookie. I just use it for breakfast, nothing to do with working out. For recovery after working out, I use Fluid Recovery. I like the Chocolate Wave flavor the best. It's like drinking a Tootsie Roll.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    NEVER Had protein powder in my life. :bigsmile: