Vegan Protein without Soy or Whey

Options
2»

Replies

• graceful2002
    Options
    I use Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein (Vanilla). It's a combo of pea, rice, hemp, and chia protein.

Serving Size: 1 scoop

Calories: 130

Protein: 22g

Carbohydrates: 9g
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    There are also fermented soy powders; I don't use them because they're expensive, but they're generally better than the unfermented ones. You're probably going to have to experiment a bit - some can have unfortunate digestive effects. (However, if you're a 12-year-old boy, then go for the raw pea protein, you will be a gassy god among your peers.)

I've had the best luck with getting the protein powders and mixing them myself - I haven't found any "shakes" that aren't either gross or that contain ingredients I don't want. It's a little more work, but I think the results are worth it.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Today I will take in about 75g protein (intake is ~1,400 calories total). It all comes from:

-Sunwarrior protein powder (1 serving)
    -Baby spinach
    -Powdered peanut butter (PB2)
    -Quinoa
    -Broccoli
    -Dry roasted edamame (this is soy, however)
    -Oatmeal with chia & flax seeds
    -Kale
    -Nutritional yeast (aka the best thing ever)
    -Almond butter (second best thing ever)

I eat the above on a pretty much daily basis. I also eat black beans and other types of beans pretty frequently. I do not rely heavily on soy to get my protein, but do eat tempeh several times per week (and a small amount of the edamame daily).
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There are also fermented soy powders; I don't use them because they're expensive, but they're generally better than the unfermented ones. You're probably going to have to experiment a bit - some can have unfortunate digestive effects. (However, if you're a 12-year-old boy, then go for the raw pea protein, you will be a gassy god among your peers.)

I've had the best luck with getting the protein powders and mixing them myself - I haven't found any "shakes" that aren't either gross or that contain ingredients I don't want. It's a little more work, but I think the results are worth it.

LOLOLOL no I'm not a 12 year old boy. But THAT cracked me up :laugh:

So it sounds like an easy way to get extra protein in each day would be to add a variety of vegan protein powders to my shakes. Adding flax/chia/hemp seeds doesn't add THAT much protein . . . so the extra boost with the powders should help.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :flowerforyou:
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options

I could look this up in a sec but I'd love to hear what people here think about this product. (fixed)

Dried peanut protein?
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Today I will take in about 75g protein (intake is ~1,400 calories total). It all comes from:

-Sunwarrior protein powder (1 serving)
    -Baby spinach
    -Quinoa
    -Broccoli
    -Dry roasted edamame (this is soy, however)
    -Oatmeal with chia & flax seeds
    -Kale
    -Nutritional yeast (aka the best thing ever)
    -Almond butter (second best thing ever)

I eat the above on a pretty much daily basis. I also eat black beans and other types of beans pretty frequently. I do not rely heavily on soy to get my protein, but do eat tempeh several times per week (and a small amount of the edamame daily).

Nice breakdown, thanks!

I do eat a variety of foods that contain natural protein i.e. quinoa, lentils, legumes, veggies, nuts, seeds. My diary is open if anyone wants to look. I just haven't been able to reach my target amount. The powders are what I've been lacking I think. I'll look at everyone's suggestions with an eye for what is just a high protein vegan foodstuff that is powdered, versus a concoction of a long list of ingredients.

Regarding nutritional yeast . . . my naturopath warned me that most/all are filled with msg and other additives : / Not sure how to find out which one/ones are clean.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    So it sounds like an easy way to get extra protein in each day would be to add a variety of vegan protein powders to my shakes. Adding flax/chia/hemp seeds doesn't add THAT much protein . . . so the extra boost with the powders should help.

Just tossing this out there to help achieve the best results for you...

Do the non-protein benefits of flax/chia/hemp seeds not outweigh the extra protein benefits of the protein powder? I'm not saying, I'm asking. You'll have to look that up.

*shrugs*

I admit I'm more into fresh foods and cooking from scratch than powders or pills. Kale, peppers, chicken breast, broccoli, tomatoes, drooool...

Powders don't make me drool.
  • judydelo1
    Options

Just tossing this out there to help achieve the best results for you...

Do the non-protein benefits of flax/chia/hemp seeds not outweigh the extra protein benefits of the protein powder? I'm not saying, I'm asking. You'll have to look that up.

*shrugs*

I admit I'm more into fresh foods and cooking from scratch than powders or pills. Kale, peppers, chicken breast, broccoli, tomatoes, drooool...

Powders don't make me drool.

I agree, about eating whole foods. I'd still add the chia/hemp/flax seeds to the shakes like I always do along with fruit, coconut oil and juice high in antioxidants (like Just Blueberry, Just Cranberry and Just Black Currant).
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Why would a health practitioner put you on a vegan diet?

To put my Epstein-Barre into remission . . . and it's working!!! Finally, after 10 years I'm back to myself!

I'm loving all of these suggestions!! Keep them coming and thanks everyone :flowerforyou:

Nice!!
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms

Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder
  • rensife
    rensife Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Broccoli has more protein than chicken! I was a vegan for 21 days .... then our gourmet grocery had a steak sandwich cookout! (hanging my head now)

I cannot lie and I am both a carni and omnivore!

I am very proud of anyone who can follow a vegan diet. We are meatless 3 - 4 days a week.

Mushrooms also have lots of protein. There is a great cookbook called " Veggie burgers every which way". I highly suggest the library - preview the cookbooks before you invest.

Hang in there, I know that feeling good will help with the change. I know, I had to really limit salt intake. Hubby had to go G free. We feel so much better! You will too!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've tried Vega Protiens, Sunwarrior and Plantfusion and Plantfusion is my favourite.

Sunwarrior is too sweet, i think they use a lot of stevia which I don't really like the tatse of. Vega is great but I only like the Vega One Energising Smoothie in Vanilla and the All in one Nutrition shake in Chocolate.

The Plantfusion ones have a better type of sweetness to them for my taste buds.

I have tried brown rice protein and is is so chalky and disgusting. :-P
  • secyatlaw
    secyatlaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been using Sequel's Vega line - the Sport, One and energizing smoothie powders - with good results. I am not vegan but seem to have trouble absorbing necessary nutrients even if eating clean. I've felt much better, have lost fat, and am more alert and energetic. Best wishes for your continuing journey back to wellness.