how do cats adjust to new environments?

Options
Moved out of my parents place, been living on a friends couch for a month and now I have just figured out hours with work and moving into a share house this Friday. Gonna take a few days to get myself settled in then bring over my beautiful kitty.

So a few questions:
1. How she should adjust to a new environment? She is a 7 year old girl and has been with us since she was a kitten.

2. She has always been an indoor cat but where I am moving in to my house mate leaves the front door open all the time to air out the house. Should I try keep her an indoor cat still or see how she goes going outside?

3. Where she is she has 5 other animals, where we are moving to there is 1 dog.. how would she adjust to the doggy?

Replies

• JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    1. It really just takes time. She will be scared for awhile but eventually she should come around.

2. Outdoor cats don't live as long. This is a fact...so I would think twice before letting her run around too much.

3. Has she been around dogs before? When we moved out 3 cats in with 3 dogs we had to do it slowly. We started the cats out in the bedroom for a day or two. This way the new animals can smell each others scent through the door but they are protected. The next day we opened the door but kept it separated by a doggie gate. The cats can get over but the dog can't get in. Again they can smell and see each other but not hurt each other. After a few days (1-2) of that we then remove the barrier completely. We did it this way and had absolutely no problem with our cats meeting the dogs. Also our cats had never been near dogs before so it was a big adjustment.

Good luck.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    1. It really just takes time. She will be scared for awhile but eventually she should come around.

2. Outdoor cats don't live as long. This is a fact...so I would think twice before letting her run around too much.

3. Has she been around dogs before? When we moved out 3 cats in with 3 dogs we had to do it slowly. We started the cats out in the bedroom for a day or two. This way the new animals can smell each others scent through the door but they are protected. The next day we opened the door but kept it separated by a doggie gate. The cats can get over but the dog can't get in. Again they can smell and see each other but not hurt each other. After a few days (1-2) of that we then remove the barrier completely. We did it this way and had absolutely no problem with our cats meeting the dogs. Also our cats had never been near dogs before so it was a big adjustment.

Good luck.

I don't necessarily want her running around but if my roommate already leaves the door open I can't do much. Yeah, at my parents we have 3 cats and 3 dogs.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I would ask the roommate if he could keep it closed. If it's a problem then I guess there's not too much you can do about it. Personally I wouldn't want my cats running around outside. There's too much that can go wrong. Also your cat is in a new space and might have trouble finding his/her way home because the scent of your family isn't strong there yet. So you run the risk of losing the cat all together, which would be awful.
  • ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    Qualifications: Pet owner, former owner of my own pet sitting business, former veterinary assistant for 5 years

1. Cats should be started off in a smaller place to get used to it - i.e. leave her in you bedroom (with the door shut for the first day until day 3 or so and then slightly expand her territory. Feline pheromone diffusers or sprays can go a long way in accelerating acclimation.

2. This was told to me by a veterinarian: "Average life span of an outdoors cat is 1 year" - you can make the decision whether or not you are able to be a responsible pet owner - if you are unable - then you may want to consider letting your parents keep her until you move into a more cat-friendly environment?

3. How she will adjust to the dog is very unpredictable - if she is used to being around other animals, this will help her comfort level - however, if the dog is not used to cats - the dog's comfort level will heavily influence this - he may scare the cat, he may ignore the cat, he may love the cat - only time will tell.
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    Please tell your new roommate that you have an indoor cat and remind him or her that an open door means a dead cat. Cats are programmed to fight for their territory and she will be at risk outside.

I agree that it is best to start her out in her own little place, like a bathroom. Let the dog and her smell each other through the door. Watch their reactions. Does the dog seem like he might attack a cat? I have three cats and did the slow introduction, and still ended up with cat fights. Cats can often control the interaction with a dog, as long as the dog is not totally focused on attack.

My oldest cat (11) decided from the beginning he would never like the newcomer and he still dislikes her, but he does not attack her. She is a former feral who I adopted when she was one year old and she will always be, at heart, a feral cat. She relates to other cats but is feisty and loves a good wrestle and chase. She is terrified of all people except me and won't let anyone near her. When I moved her into my house, I was facing a blizzard coming up and temps way below zero. I didn't think she could survive, so I trapped her and brought her inside (after a blood test to protect my two indoor boys). She is devoted to me, sits on me all the time, purrs when I touch her and sleeps with me every night. Other people? No way.

I love my cats! They are my heart.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Qualifications: Pet owner, former owner of my own pet sitting business, former veterinary assistant for 5 years

1. Cats should be started off in a smaller place to get used to it - i.e. leave her in you bedroom (with the door shut for the first day until day 3 or so and then slightly expand her territory. Feline pheromone diffusers or sprays can go a long way in accelerating acclimation.

2. This was told to me by a veterinarian: "Average life span of an outdoors cat is 1 year" - you can make the decision whether or not you are able to be a responsible pet owner - if you are unable - then you may want to consider letting your parents keep her until you move into a more cat-friendly environment?

3. How she will adjust to the dog is very unpredictable - if she is used to being around other animals, this will help her comfort level - however, if the dog is not used to cats - the dog's comfort level will heavily influence this - he may scare the cat, he may ignore the cat, he may love the cat - only time will tell.

This!
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So a few questions:
    1. How she should adjust to a new environment? She is a 7 year old girl and has been with us since she was a kitten.

2. She has always been an indoor cat but where I am moving in to my house mate leaves the front door open all the time to air out the house. Should I try keep her an indoor cat still or see how she goes going outside?

3. Where she is she has 5 other animals, where we are moving to there is 1 dog.. how would she adjust to the doggy?

1. My cat is 15! Yours... is a baby!
    2. She will definitely have more fun going outside. Just let her do it on herself. They are so curious animals that she will have fun exploring grass, trees and bugs!
    3. She is used to other animals.. and this is good. It depends from her attitude. Mine who lives only with us all this years can't stand neither a fish in a bowl in the same house! She is just the QUEEN!
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Please tell your new roommate that you have an indoor cat and remind him or her that an open door means a dead cat. Cats are programmed to fight for their territory and she will be at risk outside.

I love my cats! They are my heart.

I would re-phrase this to, "remind him or her that an open door means a dead Roommate"