Considering c25k....

Options
So I am considering completing the c25k program. Is there a dvd that I can purchase for instruction? I am not sure how good this will work for me, I am 268 lbs, and its been a long time since I have ran. Any success stories out there? Thanks!!

Replies

• JennaMarie3
    JennaMarie3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i purchased a c25k program on my ipod, and i have just started doing it. It is very convenient, b/c once i set the music to play, it quiets the music down and beeps to let me know whether to start jogging or start walking again. I don't have to keep an eye on my time to start walking or jogging. hopefully I'll have a good success story for you in the next coming weeks! You just have to remember to take it slow. I think when I am jogging, I only go at 4.5mph. Too much more and I can't do it for the full 25 minutes. Hope this helps!
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for the info...just got a new Ipod touch, so I will download this today! Good luck and keep me posted on your success!!
  • uromastyx
    uromastyx Posts: 8
    Options
    I really, REALLY want to do it! I feel like jogging is haunting me - everyone who has had a successful weight loss journey has gotten hooked on it. But I'm such a chicken! Part of it is how I look, and part of it is fearing injuries. Let me know how you guys are doing and maybe I'll break down!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I just started doing it. I finished week 1 and I was just doing the free online program. So far so good. Not much more I can say yet.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You don't need to purchase anything to do C25K. Check out www.coolrunning.com & PodRunner Podcast on iTunes. Both free :)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    If you do a google search for "couch to 5k podcasts" you can find several different podcasts that will walk you through the various timed intervals. I did the program last June, ran my first 5k in August and have run several since... along with a quarter marathon and a 9k. I'm currently just starting a training program for a half marathon!! So, the program really does work! :flowerforyou:
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I got it for free off the internet. I just googled it and then transferred it to my Mp3 player. It is amazing and you really should add it to your personal challenges!!! It works the weight melts off and you feel very powerful!!!
  • AZCorz
    AZCorz Posts: 18
    Options
    I am doing the C25K. When I started I couldn't run one minute. Now I am up to 12.5 minutes. I did tweat the program but it is the best thing I ever did. I enjoy running.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    I just printed out the schedule from the Web, put in my ear buds, and get going on my treadmill. Doesn't matter your weight....you start small. :smile:

Good luck! You can do it!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I don't have a tread, so I do this all outside. I'm starting Week3 tomorrow. When I first started, I could only do the first 15min (including the 5min warm up), the second day was easier. It gets easier and harder at the same time if that makes any sense. :D I got the plan from coolrunning.com, there is also a modified plan if you aren't sure you will be able to jog right away. That site is http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27 Also, phone app wise, I have a droid and found a free app at http://sites.google.com/site/c25kapp/ and for other phones and free apps, check out http://www.c25k.com/ I've even had a few fb friends join in on the C25k :D I hope everyone here helps give you some insight to the plan. You can also join in on this thread if you decide to do the plan and let us know your ups and downs : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/98489-couch-to-5k-anyone XoxoxoX Bru
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I was a little leary of the C25K as well. I tried it last summer and didn't get through the first day! I found a Conservative C25K which stretches the training out to 7 months instead of 9 weeks and just started it last week. I figure I can always bump it up if I need to.. and I'd rather do that than keep repeating weeks in the regular C25K. The only problem is I can't find podcasts for it... but it is such a gradual rise in running minutes I am just going to tweak my playlists every week.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm
  • Eric_Geary
    Eric_Geary Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am also finished with week one and its not as bad as i thought it would be. I know someone said you dont need to buy anything to do this program, but the app is so worth it. You can play your music and it tells you to run and then walk no looking at the watch to make sure you doing the right amount of each. And it tells you when you half way so u can turn around. This is the website for the app i got http://c25kapp.com/ but if you want to do it for free http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. Hope this helps!
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I did it last year, start to finish. It was a good catalyst for weight loss and exploring other excercises I would like to do that I though I could not. Now I run anywhere from 2-7 miles 3 days a week and am training for a half marathon. :)
  • neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    Although I've always been a walker, I've never been a runner due to asthma issues. I decided to try c25k last december; I started with just my kitchen timer. The first week was okay, but the next levels I stretched out to at least two weeks, so I did five sessions per level instead of three.

I was astonished the first time I ran two miles without stopping ... and without wheezing! I finished the program mid-April and ran my first 5K at the end of the month ... steady pace, no walking breaks.

I still have breathing issues (especially now that it's summer) and I'll never run a marathon, but now I try to run at least twice a week for three miles. I would never have thought I could do it, but c25k got me there.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I did it last year and I can say it's one of my biggest exercise accomplihsments ever. Then I tweaked my knee but now I'm working back up it. It does make you feel powerful and like you belong to some special club.
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who provided info, especially the link to the C25K light. :happy: I have also been considering it and been working up to starting by walking 30 min, then throwing in one minute intervals of running. C25K just seemed like it expected so much from a "couch potato" right out of the gate (not that I even really consider myself a couch potato). I really need to find the mp3's with the cues for walking/running to download for my iPhone, that would really help.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Just an update, I finished Week 3 Day 1 today, I was nervous at first as todays plan is 5min warm up 90 sec jog then walk 3min jog then walk X2...3min jog?!?! Me?!?! Yep, and I did it without feeling so winded.. It's definitely working!! Woot Woot!! XoxoxoX Bru
  • theresea1231
    theresea1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I began the c25k 9 weeks ago, I didn't think I would survive the first day of eight 1 minute intervals but June 12th I RAN my first 5k! My goal was to do it in less than 35 and we eked in at 34:12. I cannot tell you what a confidence booster that was but even if it would have taken an hour the point is I RAN the whole thing. The most important thing to remember IMHO is to slow down if u feel like u can't finish an interval, sometimes that's all it takes to get through it.
    Go for it!!
  • JennaMarie3
    JennaMarie3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i did the week 3, day 1 c25k workout today, also. 5 minute warmup, then twice: jog 90 sec, walk 90 sec, jog 3 min, walk 3 min. then cool down. i did pretty well. like i said, i am not jogging fast at all...only 4.5mph, but i figure that once i can continuously jog for 30 minutes, which is what this is building to, then i can work on my speed. i need the endurance work for now. It is definately very nice that i do not have to look at the time to know when to walk or not. With other programs that i had to do that with, i found myself staring at the time thru the whole workout, and then i got bored with everything. now i don't have to look, b/c i know it will tell me what i need to do and when i need to do it.

regardless of which program you use, you should do it!! it really is very rewarding to know that you completed the workout of the day!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Do it! Here are the free podcasts I used http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/podcasts.html

I'm in my late 40's and started at just under 200 lbs - I'd never run more than a few minutes at a time in my entire life. Now I can run a 5k no problem. A year ago I could barely run for 90 minutes.

An earlier poster gave the key - if you need to slow down to get through an interval - do it! Most people try to run too fast. Just slow down and don't stop! Your whole world will change when you finish the 20 minute run!