Popcorn -- Please Help!!!!

Options
I have been eating popcorn lately and I was looking it up in the database and I'm not sure any of the entries are right. I added a new entry using the information off of the box of popcorn, but since there were so many entries that agreed with each other I wanted to make sure I wasn't way off. So I guess I'm going against the odds on this one. I guess I'll put this in question form.

I have pop weavers extra butter popcorn. It gives the nutrition facts for unpopped in the regular column, but the fat grams has a star by it and directs you to the bottom. It then says that nutrition facts are for unpopped and that the popped facts are as follows. Those are the facts that I entered into the database.

Would I be right in entering it that way or did I misunderstand how to figure that out? If anyone has any on hand and would take a look that would be great or if you think you understand what I'm asking and can give me some input I would really appreciate it. Thanks! There is a huge difference in all of the nutition facts, for instance 2050 sodium in unpopped and 350 for popped??? Thats what the box says unless I'm reading completely wrong.

Please Help!

Replies

• AkAmber
    AkAmber Posts: 40
    Options
    You're reading it right! It's confusing though. (I don't have that kind here to check, but I've been down this road before!) I think you entered the right info. There's only one reason I've ever come up with for the different info pre-popping and post-popping, and I'm not sure it's right, but it's the only one that makes sense to me. Using the sodium you had in your example, if you were to pop that bag open before you popped it and eat the contents, you'd probably get ALL of the salt they put in there. After it's popped, however, a lot of the salt stays in the bottom of the bag or on the sides. Like I said, I don't know if it's right, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

I don't think it's life-or-death to get EXACTLY the right numbers, anyway. I think the key is to be close and to not go overboard with anything. :smile:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    That's odd ... I will tell you that I went to WalMart, bought an air popper ($17.99-$19.99) and then the Orville Redenbacher's popcorn. I spray I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, and 3 tablespoons unpopped (PLENTY popped) is 120 calories if I remember correctly.

It's perfect for me ... and it eliminates all the popcorn confusion. I can't help with the bag ... but maybe someone else can! Good luck :smile:
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You're reading it right! It's confusing though. (I don't have that kind here to check, but I've been down this road before!) I think you entered the right info. There's only one reason I've ever come up with for the different info pre-popping and post-popping, and I'm not sure it's right, but it's the only one that makes sense to me. Using the sodium you had in your example, if you were to pop that bag open before you popped it and eat the contents, you'd probably get ALL of the salt they put in there. After it's popped, however, a lot of the salt stays in the bottom of the bag or on the sides. Like I said, I don't know if it's right, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

I don't think it's life-or-death to get EXACTLY the right numbers, anyway. I think the key is to be close and to not go overboard with anything. :smile:

Thank you! And I wouldn't be so picky except for one bag unpopped it says 85 carbs and for popped it only says 15...that's a huge difference!
  • jeniam
    jeniam Posts: 13
    Options
    Double check your serving size. For instance, my popcorn says that a serving is 2 TBSP of unpopped = about 4.5 cups popped but the same box gives me in the nutrition panel the stats for 2 TBSP unpopped (170 cals) and then the stats for 1 CUP popped (35 cals) NOT 4.5 CUPS! Big difference if 2 TBSP actually makes 4.5 cups of popped popcorn! 4.5 cups times 35 would then be 157.50 cals... not that much different than the unpopped stats.
  • maynard46
    maynard46 Posts: 134
    Options
    Just seen the post with Popcorn as the title. Favorite snack for me. Want to save some money on Micro. popcorn? Something I came across online one day. Brown paper lunch bag, 3 TBLS unpopped popcorn, fold top of bag down a few times.1 min. 30 seconds on high in the microwave. No Longer. Perfect everytime. Butter spray or whatever you want on it. Just wanted to share that with everyone.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Brown paper lunch bag, 3 TBLS unpopped popcorn, fold top of bag down a few times.1 min. 30 seconds on high in the microwave. No Longer. Perfect everytime. Butter spray or whatever you want on it. Just wanted to share that with everyone.
    This sounds awesome and I will try. The only thing that goes in the bag is popcorn kernels right? Sweet and sounds like it will save money
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Double check your serving size. For instance, my popcorn says that a serving is 2 TBSP of unpopped = about 4.5 cups popped but the same box gives me in the nutrition panel the stats for 2 TBSP unpopped (170 cals) and then the stats for 1 CUP popped (35 cals) NOT 4.5 CUPS! Big difference if 2 TBSP actually makes 4.5 cups of popped popcorn! 4.5 cups times 35 would then be 157.50 cals... not that much different than the unpopped stats.

Exactly...It shows the Calorie difference and the calories from fat, but only the percent of daily value in the nutrition column. It tells you to look below for other details. Check it out!
  • maynard46
    maynard46 Posts: 134
    Options
    Yep, Just the popcorn kernels.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    i use a big glass/plastic bowl and either a regular plate or plastic cover for that plastic bowl (but i dont completely close it.

i put about 3 tbsp.... no oil
    microwave
    sprinkle a bit of salt and YUM healthy snack that's filling and tastyyyyyy!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    That's odd ... I will tell you that I went to WalMart, bought an air popper ($17.99-$19.99) and then the Orville Redenbacher's popcorn. I spray I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, and 3 tablespoons unpopped (PLENTY popped) is 120 calories if I remember correctly.

It's perfect for me ... and it eliminates all the popcorn confusion. I can't help with the bag ... but maybe someone else can! Good luck :smile:
    :drinker: air popped all the way for me! I do the spray as well, sometimes sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese or Brewers yeast, whatever appeals at the moment. So much easier, so much less sodium, fat and far more popcorn if you're a popcorn lover :tongue:

I think this girl is eating popcorn for a snack tonight!:wink:
  • lifechanges06
    lifechanges06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to try this now. Thanks, Im looking for pointers on low cal snacks anything else up your sleeve?
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    i use a big glass/plastic bowl and either a regular plate or plastic cover for that plastic bowl (but i dont completely close it.

i put about 3 tbsp.... no oil
    microwave
    sprinkle a bit of salt and YUM healthy snack that's filling and tastyyyyyy!

great idea! Thanks for sharing! I guess the lid is just to keep the popcorn confined so it doesn't go everywhere. Sweet!