1 lb. a week ?

Options
I know I should be happy, but I feel like I'm doing the right things and the pay off is so small.

I'm working out 5 - 6 times per week for 45 mins.
(2 days a week kickboxing, 4 days on the treadmill, and 3 of the days I do strength training using my own body weight /resistance bands or light free weights)

On average, I net between 1000-1400 cal/day.
(1400 is my calorie goal)

I've only lost 8 lbs. in 8 weeks.

What gives?

Replies

• Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know I should be happy, but I feel like I'm doing the right things and the pay off is so small.

What gives?

What gives is, that is incredible!! Recommended weight loss is 1lb a week. If you are losing more than that, then whatever you are doing is not sustainable--ie the weight will come back when you stop what it is. This is not a fast process but rather a lifestyle change that takes time. 8lbs in 8 weeks is awesome!!!!
  • maniesduchocolat
    maniesduchocolat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That sounds good to me, really
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    One pound a week, consistently, is something to be very proud of!!! Keep up the good work!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating, but 1lb a week loss is very healthy. Losing too fast, especially when you don't have a lot to lose, is very difficult and often not sustainable.

It sounds like you're doing things right. Keep striving for your 1400 net daily calorie goal and hang in there!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

I'm working out 5 - 6 times per week for 45 mins.
    (2 days a week kickboxing, 4 days on the treadmill, and 3 of the days I do strength training using my own body weight /resistance bands or light free weights)

On average, I net between 1000-1400 cal/day.
    (1400 is my calorie goal)

What gives?
    Congrats! You're lucky. I wish I could say the same :(
  • JVonni
    JVonni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well,you're still making great progress! If you're looking for a more significant change, you might not be getting enough calories. When I first began working out, I lost little to nothing for a while. I was doing it allllll wrong. I'm not sure if this is correct, but it was explained to me that your NET calories should be at least 1200 so that your body won't go into what is called 'starvation mode' and hold on to the extra lbs. For example, if your daily goal is 1500 cal and you work out and burn off 400 cal, you should probably eat something around 100 cal to bring you back up to 1200 cal for the day. I'm only a novice, so I'm sure someone could better explain this to you, but it's worked for me so far...
  • Stopher2475
    Options
    First. Great job. A pound a week is great progress and is nothing to be ashamed of. That's 52 pounds a year. It takes years to put the weight on. Its gonna take time to take off. You are doing great!
    Second muscle weighs more than. Concentrate on how you look and feel.
    Third, make sure you're being honest on the calories. Is the calorie count on the box for a portion half the size. Forme finding things I can accurately measure is one of the hardest parts.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Eat more, lose more believe it or not.

At the weight I'm seeing on your ticker (looks like around the same as my current weight), you could try eating a bit more. I net between 900-1400 and workout just as much as you and eating more per day (of healthy stuff).

Also something to keep in mind, when you do serious strength training, you body tends to retain water to repair muscles.
    Think about the way you look and how your clothes feel. Take photos if you aren't already, it will help you see how much you are losing and how different you look.
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I am one week into thins and have seen only half a pound. At first frustrating, but after reading all the posts, everyone here is great supporters and wealth of information. thank you to everyone :)
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have been averaging 1 pound a week too... I want it off fast too but want to do it right so it will stay off this time. Hang in there!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week is really great progress, especially when you only have a little to lose

If you really want opinions - you have very little whole food in your diary, especially veggies and lean protein.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What gives is you live in reality and this isn't the Biggest Loser. 1lb a week is more than good.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    That's a good idea (photos) or measurements to track my progress.

I'm just frustrated because my friend had been doing WW for the same amount of time, with no exercise and has lost almost double.

Mind you, she often days she is hungry.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading your ticker correctly, your goal is to lose close to 40 pounds?
    That's not a huge amount to lose, so I think one pound a week is reasonable.
    I believe the people who are losing over 100 pounds are the ones who lose more weight in a given time period.
    You're losing!
    Good job!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea (photos) or measurements to track my progress.

I'm just frustrated because my friend had been doing WW for the same amount of time, with no exercise and has lost almost double.

Mind you, she often days she is hungry.

Never compare yourself to anyone else. there are a million variables to consider. Most of us don't have the same amount of weight to lose, most of us have different schedules/committments/etc, most of us lose weight at different rates ( and keep it off) etc etc.

Not to mention a lot of us look different at comparable heights and different weights.

ETA - sorry I apparently missed the most important point I meant to make - 1 lb a week is fantastic progress.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    For the most part I don't log veggies.

I usually have a salad with dinner that consists of ice berg, cucumbers, green pepper and viniger. I'm very picky, and logging the veggies became tedious. I usually do it if I have a cup of something like carrots or green beans, but for smaller amounts I don't. I figure its good calories so it probably won't effect y loss/gain.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lost 38 lbs in 8 months... just keep going. You're doing great!

BTW, I've always found it easier to lose when you don't exercise that much. Just eat less. Once you are exercising that hard, there are a whole series of metabolic and hormonal functions being affected by a calorie deficit and you have to make it smaller.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    What gives is you live in reality and this isn't the Biggest Loser. 1lb a week is more than good.

exactly! a pound a week is great. not too fast that it's not sustainable (and your skin gets to adjust better) and not too slow that you don't see any progress.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    1 lb. a week, to echo everyone else's sentiments here, is absolutely healthy. The longer it takes to come off, the longer it stays off.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ditto everyone else. 1lb a week is the healthy way to get it done! Rapid weight loss isn't healthy. Slow and steady!