Have you swayed co-workers?

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
Not by being a vociferous food Nazi but from their curiosity of seeing you logging and/or from your results?

That's right... I just used vociferous in a sentence! (I will post this under Success Stories)

Replies

• kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost enough for anyone to notice.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to MFP by a work colleague.

I have had work colleagues ask for my help in losing weight, but in the end they go about it in their own way and I don't wish to sound preachy.

I did introduce my sister to MFP, and she has been doing very well.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It seems like everyone notices, but once they find out there is no magic pill, they usually drop it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Nope.

They mostly either:
    1. Don't believe I lost weight just by eating less and moving more....mainly because they see me eating all the time.
    2. Still believe in fad diets
    3. Are just pissed that I lost weight and they didn't (even though they didn't do anything to achieve their goal).
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    "vociferous food Nazi" <<- That is pure genius!
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I get "what are you doing" a lot. And a hugely disappointed face when I tell them "eating well and going to the gym".
    I recently referred a person at work to mfp when she told me she was going to join weight watchers online. I find it boarding on unethical for weight loss programs to charge people money!
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was persuaded by co-workers. I have in-turn persuaded a few friends to check out the site since.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use every opportunity I can to teach co-workers about health and wellness. Mind you, I strongly believe that wellness is not only about fitness and weight loss. Today I was talking stress with a colleague (I am in health care). I gave her a few hints on how to 'meditate' and 'control her stress' with simple things. When I rounded on Saturday - we talked recipes and I chimed in.

I am new at my institution (hospital) so noone knows my background which is a perfect in for me. When it is appropriate or I am asked - I talk about the gadgets, apps, and websites I use.

often I hear 'I can't afford a gym membership' - so we talk about that.

I feel it is very important that you 'seize the moment' and make it known you are a resource. What is counter productive is 'preaching' or telling people what to do. The person you talk with may not have the same motivation and goals or resources as you do.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Nope.

They mostly either:
    1. Don't believe I lost weight just by eating less and moving more....mainly because they see me eating all the time.
    3. Are just pissed that I lost weight and they didn't (even though they didn't do anything to achieve their goal).

Yes, all this. In the last job I worked in, they got all pissy at my weight loss, and one guy started to do the lemon detox.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I use every opportunity I can to teach co-workers about health and wellness. Mind you, I strongly believe that wellness is not only about fitness and weight loss. Today I was talking stress with a colleague (I am in health care). I gave her a few hints on how to 'meditate' and 'control her stress' with simple things. When I rounded on Saturday - we talked recipes and I chimed in.

I am new at my institution (hospital) so noone knows my background which is a perfect in for me. When it is appropriate or I am asked - I talk about the gadgets, apps, and websites I use.

often I hear 'I can't afford a gym membership' - so we talk about that.

I feel it is very important that you 'seize the moment' and make it known you are a resource. What is counter productive is 'preaching' or telling people what to do. The person you talk with may not have the same motivation and goals or resources as you do.

F**king food Nazi!

JK Brother, good for you! :-)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No they just think I'm crazy (for doing Insanity lol)
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    yep *lol*
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Not so much with eating but my running has sparked quite a few others to take it up.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It seems like everyone notices, but once they find out there is no magic pill, they usually drop it.

^^^ This, I've even been asked WHAT I'm taking, not HOW I'm losing weight. They act like I'm lying when I tell them I just track what I'm eating and exercise.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I get "what are you doing" a lot. And a hugely disappointed face when I tell them "eating well and going to the gym".

^^^ This! And they tend to go "Oh ..." like "She hasn't told me anything I didn't know already!" I'm not sure what they expect from me, really. Lol.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Nope.

They mostly either:
    ^^^^ and so much this!!! We have had three rounds of "The biggest Loser" at my work and the people that have the hardest time losing weight and want to whine about it to everyone are the same ones that hit the candy bowls on everyone's desk two or three times a day!! A snack size candy bar is around 70 calories, you probably only burned about 4 getting up and walking to the candy bowl and back to your desk... do the math!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to MFP by a friend, during a time when we had a Biggest Loser contest at work. At that time there were co-workers doing well and some have still kept weight off. There are actually more active, normal weight people than overweight I've come to notice. However, I've mentioned MFP to those who have asked.. I have yet to see those people follow through for more than a couple days.
  • Xianpu27
    Xianpu27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yep... last week one of my co-workers asked me how I'd lost the weight because she's tried every diet going and has had little to no success. When I told her how I've done it: "Tracking what I eat/drink, eating a lot healthier and working out more" she was like... "Is that IT?" lol! I think she's going to join MFP now.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Nope, I try and they just sit there with blank stares while shoving girl scout cookies in their pie holes.

oh well. I guess.

It makes me sad that my BFF wants to lose weight and makes a general post on FB saying she needs a workout buddy, so OF COURSE I said pick me! But she said I had lost too much weight already... I get that a lot, IDK if they are intimidated or what but I wanna scream, 'Hey I was a fatty once! I'm not gonna laugh at you, I am here for you!' kinda makes me sad :(
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

^^^This, I have had several even sign up for MFP but they are too busy to do it. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water as they say