HYPOTHYROIDISM

Options
i have it. it sucks. it makes every single thing that happens in my body slower. i am 27 and have the metabolism of a 41 yr old. its ridiculous. but i am not giving up hope because i CAN lose the weight and i am just focused on making healthy lifestyle habits. i dont believe in deprivation, but i do believe in portion control

if anyone else out there has similar issues, please tell me your story and what you do to maintain. thanks so much for reading.

Replies

• justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options
    I have it too, and I am 59....and you are right , it sucks.... My hair falls out, my skin is dry, and weight jumps onto my body. I am back on the loosing track (thanks to MFP)....I log everyday and try to stay in my calorie range.

I can tell you it is not easy but portion control is the way to do it, because this has to be a lifestyle change not a diet...I think you will find yourself on the right track... Don't beat yourself up if you have a "bad" week, (I think we all have them) just get yourself back on track and push forward.....
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i too have hypothyroidism, ive had it since i was 5 years old. I am 25 now.

my thyroid goes untreated, i used to take synthroid up until i was about 15 or 16 then i just stopped taking it.

i felt sluggish and slow for most of the time, or just didnt ever really feel like doing anything, on top of that i work on the weekend all night long and i feel like that is making me old.

BUT I've recently started a new life style of dieting and exercising and wow what a difference! ive only been jogging for 2 months now and have noticed a big improvement on how i feel even with my untreated thyroid.
  • ashie075
    ashie075 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism! It's good to know other people who know how hard it is to lose weight but it IS possible because i've done it! . I found that the more I exercised the better I felt/feel so I would suggest upping the exercise and not worrying AS much about the food (at least thats what I did but I eat fairly healthy to begin with). Are you on medication for it?
  • mariposa808
    mariposa808 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i am on medication for it; and it works for me. i know its not for everyone. i have been exercising much more lately, doing things i enjoy; walking, dancing, weight bearing exercise ~ and let me tell you, you are right, it really really makes a WORLD of difference in my energy levels. just having the zest for life inspires me to want to live healthier. thanks so much for the responses, i dont feel so alone.
  • mariposa808
    Options
    i think i want to give up, i feel like all my efforts are amounting to nothing. ive been eating sooooo healthy, like 3-4 cups of veggies a day, 8 plus glasses of water and tons of exercise; cleaning for 5 hours, aerobics, walking 5 mile distances, dancing, strength training, and i have not seen any results. i feel so defeated. not even one pound. HELP!! i need some inspiration or a friggin pep talk ...
  • ashie075
    ashie075 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Every time you eat healthy and exercise you are improving your health :) Remember this is a lifestyle change, not a diet and weight loss should not be your only focus. The number one mistake people seem to make is overestimating their calorie burn and underestimating their calories. Take a good long look at your portion sizes and remember a calorie is a calorie whether it comes from a doughnut or a carrot. In terms of exercise how hard have you been working out? Intensity matters so much more than length of time spent doing the exercise. Also I just talked to my doctor about what I can do to amp up my weight loss (given as I am eating healthy/exercising regularly) and he said interval training is the way to go. Everybody get's discouraged but dont fall off the wagon! Just keep at it and we're always here for support!
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have had it for about 1 1/2 years. I wish I did not have to take a hormone replacement medication, but am afraid I will feel extremely exhausted and sluggish like when I first diagnosed. My weight loss seems to be a little slower, but nothing hugely dramatic. I am in my 30's, so don't think my metabolism is quite the same as when I was younger.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    OP -
    I have Hashimoto's. I also was told that due to everything that's been going on in my thyroid I might be insulin-resistant. They tested and indeed my insulin levels were high but not quite high enough to put me in that category. I did my research on IR and started dieting as if I was IR.
    Check my ticker.
    It works.
    See if it works for you...
    Try a Low GI diet and see what happens. Calories aren't everything.
  • mrsmillan
    mrsmillan Posts: 37
    Options
    what are you cooking your veggies in? Are you using alot of butter? oil? what kind of drinks do you drink on a daily basis? alot of people attempt to eat healthy but then dont count the calories they are intaking from oils and what they drink...I have hypothyroidism, and I have only been on mfp for 2 weeks and I have lost 10 pounds, it is possible!!! dont give up!
  • mariposa808
    Options
    thanks so much for the responses. i actually cook my veggies in about 1 tsp of olive oil, or steam them.
    i never use butter. i am actually a really healthy eater, and all i drink is water and a little milk here and there; and espresso which adds up to about 25 calories in each drink. i measure everything and control my portions really well. i actually try to over estimate my calories if i am not sure, just to be safe. i eat about 3-4 cups of veggies a day, for instance 1 cup of tomatoes, 1 cup of orange pepper, 1 cup of cucumber, 1/4 cup of feta cheese and 6 olives, that adds up to about 400 calories, and it has protein and the right kind of fat from the olives. i am steadily increasing my workouts, my doctor told me not set my goals unrealistic, just to set smaller goals so that i dont get discouraged. he told me in my case i can expect to lose about 2 pounds a month. i really want to lose 4 a month, but i dont think thats going to happen. i have been on for 2 weeks as well and lost one pound. i also need to get my bloodwork redone because i might not be on enough medication. i am eating 1450 calories a day and RARELY go over, and if i do i make sure to add in some extra workout time. i am truly being diligent about every single aspect of this, i just think its going to be a longer process for me than for other people. it really sucks but thats just the way it goes. talking to my doctor made me feel a lot better. thanks for the responses.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed, but I have a few questions. I just looked at some of the symptoms sound very familiar. However, only some of these recently started. Is it possible to just develop the disease, or is it something you always have? How are you tested to see if you have it? I think I might need to be tested.
  • mariposa808
    Options
    hm okay. you have to get a blood test. let your doctor know that you are worried you have hypothyroiypdism, and ask for a blood test, or have him/her refer you to a place where you can get A blood test taken.
    hypothyroidism goes un diagnosed soooo often. i actually initially got the blood test taken because i was worried that i had diabetes or hypoglycemia. its the same type of blood test that checks for all of those things. and it wasnt diabetes or hypoglycemia; it was my thyroid. if i hadnt gone to the doctor i never would have known! so empower yourself and do it!

i am not too sure about how it develops, but many things can trigger it. its one of those things you are pre disposed to or not i think. i didnt find out until i was 25, which is actually sort of young, but there are people that are born with it. mine was brought on by a pregnancy. everyone is different. i reccomend the book the thyroid solution. my suggestion is to talk to your doc more about it and do some of your own research. i have read more than 3 books on it, theres a lot of knowledge out there. i started with the local library. good luck!!!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago with the same thing. I went on the Fat Flush Plan, it's really hard to stay on track, but if you can do it it basically resets your system. After completing it, my hypothyroidism was gone, cholestoral was back on track, and I was down 15 pounds. It's inexpensive to do....all you need to do is run to your local book store and buy the book. Be careful when you purchase, there's a lot of titles that sound / look similar. Anne Louise Gittlemen is the author.

Hope it helps!
  • skinemols
    skinemols Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been reading a book called "What your Dr. May Not Tell You about Hypothyroidism" by Ken Blanchard. It has some interesting information regarding diet in the back. I have been diagnosed for 2 years now and take T4 and am trying out T3 also. Since I've been on T3 I've felt more tired but I"ve read that could mean I'm having getting too much between the combo. FYI - It is genetic, if one of your parents has it (in my case, my father) you have a 50% chance of having it, as well as your children. I too have a much harder time losing weight, but I have noticed that if I excercise in the morning before work, I have much more energy throughout my day than when I don't. I have also noticed that I tend to lose more weight when I eat a higher protein diet.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i know what you mean. and trust me it is hard. also with the some of the food you should avoid. did the doc tell you what to avoid? cause mine told me the MAIN things to avoid is 4 things which is

hydrogenated oil
    partly hydrogenate oil
    high fructose syrup
    vegetable oil

and this is what i found on my own
    avoid anything that has soy in it... i know... sucks.. but it worth it and it works to avoid
    also if you take sugar blood support would really help you. helped me alot
  • mariposa808
    Options
    alright, heres my update, just giving a progress report here in order to possibly help out some other folks with similar issues. its been almost 3 months since i started tracking my calories and exercise and ive lost about 7-8 pounds. some weeks i just dont get around to counting calories, but ive become really good at eyeballing portions. i make sure im out walking for long periods of time if i dont get around to doing cardio or weights. im talking walking 3 miles an hour for 2 or so hours. as we all know with hypothyroidism, this condition makes our energy levels lower so i try not to be hard on myself because i know if im hard on myself i will throw the towel in. my end goal is to maintain healthy eating and exercise habits until the day i die. i have to give myself room to do whatever i want sometimes; so i follow the 90/10 rule. the 90/10 rule simply means i follow my healthy lifestyle 90% of the time, and i do whatever i want 10% of the time; which works out to about 3 times a month.

i eat loads of vegetables (anywhere from 3-5 cups per day) and i dont use much oil but when i do use oil i use olive oil because it contains monounsaturated fatty acids which are the kinds of fat your body needs; in small amounts of course. our bodies do need fat so its important to eat the ones that occur naturally in nature; avocadoes, nuts, seeds, olives, olive oil, peanut butter, pesto, etc. i avoid wheat as much and wherever possible; and consume whole wheat when i do eat wheat. i make sure i can read all the ingredients on whatever packaged food i am buying; and if something sounds like a strange chemical i avoid it like the plague. i dont eat meat, but i do try to eat fish a few times a week.

because it takes sooo long to lose weight with hypothyroidism, sometimes i do get discouraged and get down on myself and make mistakes, but i try to gently pick myself up each time. i pay attention to my thoughts and intentions and make sure that i am not talking negatively to myself or trying to punish myself. i do not believe in deprivation, in the end it never works.

i hope this might help anyone struggling and feel free to add me as a friend for moral support!!