How do I eat all my calories?

Options
I never thought I'd have this problem but I can't seem to eat my calorie goal for the day without eating too much sugar... What foods can I eat that don't have a lot of sugar but push up my calorie intake?

Thanks!

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Solution: Unless you're a diabetic, don't worry about your sugar intake.

It is harmless and does not lead to weight gain, it is also already included in carbs.
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mastication is the best route.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic don't worry about sugar - it is a subgroup of carbs. It makes more sense to track protein / fats / carbs and eat what fits into those (i.e. your macros)
  • anaduffy
    anaduffy Posts: 74
    Options
    peanut butter I wouldn't ever be near my goal without it
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nuts, peanut butter. I never have a problem eating lol. I eat a lot of fruit. I think natural sugar is much better for you.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd have this problem but I can't seem to eat my calorie goal for the day without eating too much sugar... What foods can I eat that don't have a lot of sugar but push up my calorie intake?

Thanks!

Ignore sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Just track your overall carbohydrate intake.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you don't want sugary stuff to bump up the calories, then the big hitters will be such things as peanut butter, whole nuts (Brazil and Macademia are high) and cheese! For instance a thick lump of brie on 2 Nairn's oatcakes will bump you up by around 240 calories.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    What types of food are you eating?

After 3 weeks at 1200 calories I have gradually upped to 500 and will gradually up to 2000 as I near my GW.

I think planning is key - what do you plan to eat for the rest of the day - I already know I will be having a chicken cous cous lunch which is around 280 cals and a lasagne this eve filled with veggies so I can have a nice sized portion at around 550 cals. I even had a grilled bacon and plum tomato sandwich on wholegrain this morning which is less calories (and sugar) than the cereals I would usually have.

I have learnt that during the day if I need a quick fix to snack on seeds, dried fruit and normal fruit and my sugar craving (or rather chocolate fix) is starting starting to wane. I had some chocolate mothers day (Sunday in the UK) nothing monday, yesterday eve I had a handful of chocolate peanuts.

With all that I still have a little over 300 calories to consume, so will most likely snack on fruit / seeds at some point during the day.

If your just getting used to MyFitnessPal you will learn over time to exchange your foods for alternatives that are healthier and will therefore help you lose weight and feel better completely!

I tried looking at your diary to see what you are eating but was unable to do so - perhaps review your foods and snacks and research what better options are out there - remember less calories doesn't always mean better in the long run - those diet ready meals are a prime example and will leave you craving something later!

I have lost approx 8lbs since using MFP
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't matter, please follow below 8 step program to fulfill your calorie needs.

Step 1) go to freezer section
    Step 2) select your favourite Ben and jerrys
    Step 3) go to breakfast section
    Step 4) buy pop tarts
    Step 5) pay
    Step 6) take home
    Step 7) make a sandwich with aforementioned ingredients
    Step 8) consume
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If by some chance you're trying to avoid sugar, you could eat stuff like avocados, nuts, nut butters, oils (I love coconut oil), butter, BACON, full fat dairy, etc. Look for healthy fats if you're limiting carbs.

Otherwise eat whatever you fancy that fits your macros/calorie goals.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Open mouth, insert food.
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: PROFIT!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't matter, please follow below 8 step program to fulfill your calorie needs.

Step 1) go to freezer section
    Step 2) select your favourite Ben and jerrys
    Step 3) go to breakfast section
    Step 4) buy pop tarts
    Step 5) pay
    Step 6) take home
    Step 7) make a sandwich with aforementioned ingredients
    Step 8) consume
    where's the rolling eyes smiley?

OP - I'm always over sugar, and it comes from fruits. It really doesn't matter as long as it's good sugar IMO.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Just switch off sugar tracking in your diary settings.

Job done.
  • JosieGirl1976
    JosieGirl1976 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this. I was just about to ask the same thing. Glad to hear it doesn't matter unless for medical reasons. I always seem to be under my calorie intake just fine but sodium and sugar were a problem. So this morning I decided to map out my day to get it under control. Sodium is in check but still having a problem with sugar and only had half of my calorie counted for. But I'm going to add some nuts to bump it up.
  • boppy12345
    Options
    I have the same issue , fruit has alot of sugar in it , I know it's Natural sugars but if i see that my sugar goes into the red i think oh best not..
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't differentiate between sugars. Fruit sugars, sugars from milk, and plain old white sugar all count towards your sugar goal. I've seen a couple technical support posts asking MFP to separate it out. Probably because we all go over.
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too; I feel like I've eaten loads, and I'm still under on calories. I'm working on adding in good stuff for snacks, like peanut butter, and I'm going to learn to like avocados!

One of my killers is not eating breakfast. I know I should, but I rarely want anything when I first get up. Are you getting in three meals and three snacks?
  • vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar problem and was about to post a new topic about it until I just found this thread. My issue is that I am under my calorie goal every day, and I keep getting the message warning me that my body could go into starvation mode. Until I started tracking my daily intakes, I never realized that I was undereating. I am trying very hard to remedy this, but even when I eat more than I feel like I need (or want) I am STILL under my calorie goals.

I have stopped tracking my sugars, I am not concerned about them because they are mostly from fresh fruit and low fat yogurt. What I AM concerned about is my fat intake. I want to up my calories, up my protein, but still stay within my fat limits. All the high calorie foods that I have seen suggested here (peanut butter, nuts, avocados) are very high in fat. If I turn to those to up my calories, I am going to blow my fat goals (my suggested levels from MFP) for the day. Any suggestions?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    What ratio are you using?
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How do you edit your daily tracking? I am 117 5"4 and someone told me I should be eating more protien fiber and calories than this MFP suggests? it suggests 1200 cals. 45 protein 14 fiber 165 carb 40 fat, I cant figure how to edit it.
    Just switch off sugar tracking in your diary settings.

Job done.