Discouraged

Options
six1908
six1908 Posts: 99 Member
I like these posts because you get all kinds of people's reactions, thoughts, and messages. Plus you make a friend or 2 in the process. Okay, so here's the thing and my friends on here know it already.. but I'm discouraged today. I have been working out twice a day, not eating alot at all and when I do it's veggies and protein... and somehow, someway, I've gained like 6lbs instead of losing like I was. I just don't get it. I get frustrated when **** like this happens because I'm just tired of being the fat guy and having women look at me with disgust. Ya know? It's just... makes ya wanna give up. But that's the old me. The "new" me is going to keep going regardless of the feelings today. Can anyone else relate to the thought of being discouraged in their weightloss journey? Thanks for listening.

Replies

• jennidmb42
    Options
    Could be possible that you were losing the weight because you were losing fat and now you're gaining muscle
  • Cede242
    Cede242 Posts: 3
    Options
    you're probably gaining muscle, but dont be discouraged, just keep exercising and eating healthy.
  • JPZ98
    JPZ98 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What about your water intake? If you are working out twice a day you need to be drinking more than the recommended 8 glasses a day. If you are not consistent with that, it could cause some of the flucuations you are seeing as well. I do love the attitude and you will get through this and be the skinny guy that women love. Just keep pushing through!!
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry that your feeling discouraged! :(
    Here is the first thing that popped into my head, do you lift? If you do, then it's most likely precious muscle! Just like jennidmb said! So if you do lift, then you are perfectly fine.
    Also do you eat your exercise calories?
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There are bound to be some speed bumps on your way to the healthier you. It happens to all of us. I cannot say much other than that since you mention only that you "not eating alot at all ." Normally when I have struggled it turns out to be the food intake that was the problem. If you are confident in your nutritional plan, and are giving it your all in the gym, be patient and things will change. I know its the self doubt talking, but your mindset seems like it needs some help. Part of the journey you are on involves fixing those negative thoughts in your head. They do a lot of damage and it takes practice to push them to the sidelines.

Good luck
  • six1908
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories. Didn't know you were supposed to? I lift some but not enough I would think to be building muscle to outweigh the fat... 2-3 times a week I lift. Umm.. I'm drinking plenty of water.. seems like all the time. I will just keep at it and see.
  • six1908
    Options
    Also I'm not really eating alot. Not that I'm starving myself but I just am not that hungry especially since I'm drinking so much water... it keeps me full.
  • kaybelieve
    kaybelieve Posts: 118
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating enough? I am no dietitian, I know pretty much nothing about nutrients or any of that good ol' stuff so probably best to ignore what I say relating to that, haha.

However I can totally relate to you feeling discouraged. The line about you being sick of women looking at you in disgust hit me the hardest because that's exactly how I feel when a guy looks at me. I'm sick of being the fat friend. But instead of motivating me when I think things like that it actually just drags me down and makes me want to give up. But like you, I'm being a new me. A better me and I'm going to keep going regardless. Good luck on your journey you deserve it! :)

Feel free to add me.
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hang in there man...I wouldn't worry about the weight so much. Over time it will take care of itself. What's more important you are making great changes to your lifestyle. You will see the payoff over time!!
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be one of those people demanding that you eat more, but have you thought about upping your calories a little for a week or two to see if that helps? I was stuck for a few weeks and upped my calories by about 150 and the weight started coming off again. Just a suggestion!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Read this article on muscle gain man... not trying to rain on your parade, but there is no answer to why you are showing higher numbers could be a million factors but even if you figure out what that factor is it wont change last week, all you can do is move forward.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/

Anyone else that commented about muscle gain please read this... hearing people talking about muscle gain when numbers go up on the scale makes me super sad face .... I work out twice a day, 5 days a week, and once on saturday, I eat 3000+ calories a day, cycle my workout outs, and am slowly gaining muscle. I have read the articles the medical journals the forums, and what not, muscle takes a long time to build even in perfect conditions.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more (can't see your diary so don't know). As a dude working out 2 times a day, your caloric needs are going to be greater. Also, not eating your exercise calories, you're probably creating too large of a deficit. Either bump your calories (bigger portions, full fat dairy, nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc) or eat back your exercise calories.

ETA: You aren't gaining muscle.
  • rylovesty23
    Options
    I would definitely suggest getting out the measuring tape. there are many day when I get on the scale and it hasn't moved or is greater, but everytime I measure the inches go down. That's the thing with working out- you gain muscle weight, but that muscle burns a lot of calories allowing you to drop fat :). Try the measuring pleeease
  • IsobellaGeneva
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was doing well until I got too comfortable and mistakenly got slack on both diet and exercise and upped my calories ( mainly from peanut butter) so that now I've gained about four or five pounds. And I was beginning to have ab definition!
    Have you tried working out harder and more often? Adjusting your calories?
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Believe me I understand. I've been going up and down the same five lbs for two years. I've decided to shake things up but every new thing I try I'm giving 8 weeks to see if there are results. I can feel things starting to happen energy wise but the scale isn't moving much.

All I can say is keep going and so will I and things will change for the better. You just have to believe it. I did read an article that says weight training is the single best thing you can do for weight loss so I'm giving that a go. Good luck to you and feel free to add me if you think it will be helpful.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    you aren't going to gain 6 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks especially on a deficit.

I have had similar experiences when going high protein and veggie - you may just need to supplement a lot of fiber, for me protein shakes especially 'gum up the works' Definitely TMI but usually after a good BM the scale will drop a lot for me. One of the reasons why water and fiber are super super important
  • vadarvs
    vadarvs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of times during my journey of discouragement. I would recommend a heart rate monitor and set your goal to lose weight. I bought one and loved it! There have been times the number on the scale didn't change as much as I expected, but every month I get my measurements taken and body fat % done and that's where I see the results.

Don't give up on yourself, it's not worth it.
  • seriouslytrying
    Options
    I have only lost 17 pounds about 10% of my body weight and it has been a slow process 2-5 lbs a months in 7 months which is not much. I would go with measurements than weight. Definitely I have lost more inches than weight... One day it will dawn on you that your legs does not look like your own and your tight jeans are really loose.

Also, I found what worked for me is to train for something. Have a goal so that exercising is the journey and not the end. I'm trying to do a sprint triathlon this summer (swim .5miles, bike 12 miles, and run 3miles). And so eventhough it's a struggle to go to the gym I know that I have to stay focus and train. If my body doesn't want to spin/cycle then I'll run or then I'll do strength/abs. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone. Never been a runner or a swimmer and had just recently started cycling 6 months ago.

I watch a lot of youtube videos too when I feel discourage, here are my favorites....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJC2VyKgjI or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

MyFitnessPal is great too - you will always have friends to help you on the way.
  • bob43567
    bob43567 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It takes 2,000 steps to walk a mile.....stopping at 140 steps will never get you to the end of that mile......but the important thing to remember is that although each step is very small, it adds up to real results over time.....even if you take a few steps backwards half way through, you still are ahead of where you started....
  • ramblinritz
    ramblinritz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I know it's so disappointing to gain weight, but doesn't muscle weigh more then fat and take up less room so look for other sign like does your clothes feel better (or tighter), do you have more or less energy? There are other ways to measure success without the scale. The scale isn't all there is. BTW I love your ticker tape. Good thing my husband loves cats too.