Please help me with leg exercises!

Options
I need to know how I can strengthen my legs muscles - but here is the deal.

My knees have been really bothering me for the past few days, so I purchased (for a pretty penny) knee braces for both legs. I am afraid I may injure myself with basic exercises... running, lunges, squats.

If anyone knows any other exercises I can do that will not put too much stress on my knees I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Pilates that target the legs perhaps?
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Go to some Yoga Classes they will help strengthen your full body and in a safe way
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think you're the best candidate for Nautilus type machines, if their pivot point, etc. are set to fit to you right the first time by someone who knows what they are doing. This protects the joints as much as possible while still allowing you to build up the leg muscles.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Edited to remove all of my exercise suggestions, due to your rude response to my post about weight lifting.
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here some suggestions that are easy and will work. 1. Wall squats. Keep kneed over ankles while lowering. Sot if you feel pain. Then push through your heels on the way up. Repeat about 10 times a few times a day. 2. Simple straight leg lifts--very easy and you can do it in front of the TV even. Sit or lay on back. Lift leg straight out and raise. Hold for 10 sec or so and lower. Repeat 15 times. You can use an ankle weight to advance it when you are ready for that. 3. Stability Ball--Do you have one?? Lay on your back with heels on the ball. Lift your butt up off the floor in a plank position. You will be pressing your heels in to the ball to do this. Hold then lower. This is an awesome one for your quads. Try some and see how they work for you. 4. Run for a shorter time frame. Too much too soon is never good on joints once they start feeling angry. You can do more harm than good. Just sayin'....
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Be careful working out with knee braces, i was reading an article the other day about power lifters and talking about the danger of knee braces... becase you dont actually have to try to support your knees (because of the braces) your body puts a little more strain on them and can cause futher damange. Im sure there are 100 articles for and against this, but just something you might want to think about. I think low weight high reps might be a good place to start (just my opinion)

Squats with the bar and 25s
    Step ups with 10 lb dumbbells
    One Leg - Leg Press

I know it doesnt seem awesome and going be super productive, but being safe and protecting your knees is the only way you are going to get stronger... Hope that helps
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I honestly got panicked and could not for the life of me think of any exercises! You all are the best! Thanks again!
  • ShellBurns17
    Options
    I use Burst fit as one of my workout's and they have a low impact version to help people with knee issues and they well rip and tone up them legs like crazy!