Spinning

Options
How many calories do you personally burn spinning?

According to;
- MFP?
- the bike?
- your hrm?

Just curious, as MFP says I'd burn 233 in 40 mins where as the spinning website says the average person burns 400 - 600 in 40 minutes.

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• rschwimer
    Options
    I'm a Spinning instructor and according to my HRM I generally burn 600-700 an hour. I teach a lot of high intesity classes including heavy strength profiles. Most of the people in my classes burn between 450-650. Keep in mind you need to factor in your weight, height etc..
  • I pay attention to my HRM...it really depends on the intensity, resistance, and speed... but usually I'm between 600-700 calories burned in a class as well.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I burned 650 - 700 in an hour according to my body bugg. I am also 6'0 220 lbs so you would have to factor that in. But yea spinning is a great way to burn calories.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I put in usually 100 less than I burn just in case..
    For 1hr class I burn 7-800 calories...
    Heart rate between 130-170 most of the class
  • kellybatkin
    kellybatkin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey! MFP tells me I burn 360 cals for 45 min class! I would like to think its actually more than this as it is such hard work haha! However I am aware MFP usually overestimates me on other exercises such as running?

x
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I usually burn about 500 calories per hour in spin class. My harm pegs my heart rate between 130-160 the whole class. I am 205lbs and 5ft 7in
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I burn approx. 600 in an hour (100cal per 10 mins) although that's getting harder to match as I'm getting fitter and struggling to reach anywhere near my max heart rate. MFP tells me a little less than what I burn.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, I tried this .....

"Check your numbers at exercise > database
    pick an exercise from the drop down list in the top right corner (cardio exercises)

it asks for weight and duration of the activity to provide a calorie burn."

And played about with it a bit. Weight seems to make a huge difference to how much you burn. It looks as if MFP is sticking to the 233 for 40 minutes for my weight :-( Infeel that it should burn more than this as it is so hard!
  • CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM and depending on my intensity (varies from class to class due to my asthma)...I burn between 450 - 600 per class (HR between 130 and 175). The fitter you are the less you burn unfortunately but either way I'd recommend investing in a heart rate monitor if you want more accurate results; 233 seems low if you're going all out.
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    I used my hrm in a spin class for the first time today and it said I burned 635 calories! Kicked my butt! def a good workout

Edit to add 5'6" female 28 yo approx 160lbs
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well let me tell ya,, after a bottle of whiskey and i am spinning, wow, i burn double!
  • cdhao
    cdhao Posts: 1
    Options
    I just use "stationary bike-vigorous" instead of the "spinning" exercise. I find it's more accurate. I subtract a few minutes, though, just to be conservative.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM to do X Bike- similar to spinning. At my last class, I burnt 347 calories. Class duration 40 minutes. Don't know if age has anything to do with amount of calories burnt. I am 61 ????
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Thinking of song now

You spin me right 'round, baby
    Right 'round like a record, baby
    Right 'round, 'round, 'round,
    You spin me right 'round, baby
    Right 'round like a record, baby
    Right 'round, 'round, 'round
  • Alan_t
    Options
    What would be good classes to suppliment Spinning? Bodypump, CXworx?