My Story

Options
headstoes
headstoes Posts: 25 Member
Hi to everyone here at myfitnesspal.com!

Can I first off say what a wonderful tool this site is. I found it a while back, for my iPhone, but never really used it enough to get a daily calorie count. Now, I've rediscovered it, and it's really great for keeping track of what I eat and my weight loss goals.

So, to those of you interested in my story, let's get onto a little bit about me.

I'm a 20 year old girl living in Sydney, Australia. I've been trying to lose weight---or really get to my ideal weight---for about 8 years now (probably since after puberty hit when and I put on a stack of weight), and it hasn't been an easy journey at all. I'm not too sure what my weight can be attributed to, but I would probably have to say a mixture of past poor diet and exercise habits coupled with my efficient body's advanced skills in weight gain.

I lost about 15kg/33lb in 2004, about 6 years ago, when I was 14, from fixing my diet up a little, but mainly putting in an hour of exercise a day, but this was hard to maintain and I put this weight back on really quickly after I stopped exercising as much, and I was back to my original weight.

A minor accident in 2007, at 17 years, put me out of most (if not all) physical activity for a few months, and I put on another 15kg from a lack of activity and supposedly the comfort food I was eating---which I can't honestly say I ate a lot of.

That was a real low point for me, since I was trying to lose weight before the accident, and put me back a whole lot further, where mid-2008 was my heaviest weight. After that, I have really been watching my weight because I want to lose weight more than anything as a personal goal. Even so, after I started eating better and moving around more, the weight has come off very slowly, which has been extremely frustrating and debilitating. Since, and to date, I have lost 23kg/51lb.

I've come on myfitnesspal to help me out and keep an accurate log of my food starting a strict diet (if my diet wasn't strict enough already---no junk food or carbohydrates). My daily calorie goal is 900.

My goal in numbers is to lose at least another 9kg, but in words, is to look lean and be comfortable in my body.

Thanks for listening and granting respect. I wish everyone the best of luck on their own weight loss journeys.

What's your story?

Replies

• hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    this website gave you a diet with only 900 calories?? Wow. I would hate that...lol. Sorry. Mine seems perfect at 1200...plus exercise calories that I get to add. Good luck to you!! This is a great site with very supportive people!
  • headstoes
    Options
    No, the 900 is a custom goal.

It's going well so far. I'm on my 5th day.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck!!!
  • thatcat61
    thatcat61 Posts: 7
    Options
    I hope the custom goal doesn't set yourself up for a fall. Being lean is great but when you sacrifice comfort, at some point you get tired of that and the weight comes back. That cycle of putting it on and off - let's just say I've been there, done that - not good. Leads to bad things. I have a suggestion - but you could already be doing this, so sorry if it is redundant to you.

To control my blood sugar (without medication, which is my own personal goal) I had to cut out carbs big time. No bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. At first it was pretty tough, but now.. it's rather a way of life. I go out and get a breakfast sandwich with family, just like everyone else, but then I sit and peel off the top part of the muffin (or whatever) and munch the inside of the sandwich, using the bottom slice to hold it while I do that, then throw that in the bag as well. I dunno, it's something about the visual of all that bread being stockpiled in there and when I'm done I think "Hah, better in you than me!" when I look at it.

I'm still eating with everyone, sharing what they do, being a part of it all, but I cut out a major portion of the calories and most importantly, the stuff that spikes my sugar. Well, that is good for me - but it could help you too. Rather than eat very little, perhaps more calories, but consisting of the "good things". I've truly found that when I eat more, I flush more. I eat little, my body seems to conserve it. So I just fill it with only things it can process easily and well. You could always customize that idea for you, but sometimes just eliminating one item that you eat a lot and substituting it with more of something else really does the trick.

Ok, enough hot air :) I hope very much for you that you get to feeling lean and good. Mentally, we need that as much as physically. I just hope you stay healthy too. *hugs* Cat
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have heard that anything under 1200 calories puts one in a "starvation" mode. That means your calorie loss would slow down even more. I am eating 1200 calories a day (plus adding in some of my exercise calories) and losing 1.1 lbs per week (0.5 Kg).
    Since the beginning of March, I have lost 18 lbs (8.2 Kg). I could not have done it on 900 calories, because I would have been starving and given up dieting, altogether.
    This is a lifetime goal--staying at a good weight, and sexy. Take it slow and easy and (IMHO) you will do much better.
    Take care and enjoy yourself. :drinker:
    From a 57 year old "Nana."
  • tcfootballguy
    Options
    Im doing the ketosis 600 diet for a short time...I have not been able to maintain the 600 cals daily (almost impossible) but have stayed under a thousand for 3 days now. Started at 242.2 and in 3 days am at 233.4. I havent started exercising yet, but plan on in the next couple weeks. Thats when Ill go 1200 cals. I should also mention I am taking phentermine to curb my appetite.

Good luck all!
  • correen_b
    correen_b Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I have to agree with the other ladies and feel 900 might be a little low for a healthy loss. I do 1200 and I have lost close to eight pounds in about 2 weeks. I try to exercise every day whether it be gardening or a run with my dog - but I sneak in toning exercises around my day using idle time and that I find is helping huge! (Plie squats while brushing teeth, lifting arm weights for the fifteen minutes staring at the closet in the morning, etc.)

I thought we had a lot in common when I read your post - especially your body's talent for finding weight to put on. I swear I can hear about a recipe or food and feel fat planting itself on my hips :) Anyhow, I started reading about food additives and how food is processed and found myself completely turned off to the foods I used to crave. Eating better is a little more expensive but the rewards are so worth it!

I have learned so much from this site - the community is awesome! It is now my bedtime read every night because there are so many people that you can relate to and have such great ideas and support.

Welcome and feel free to add me as a friend - you will do great!
  • headstoes
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, and as I mentioned, please respect the methods I'm trying. I am not starving myself.

I think weight loss is such a pervasive and personal part of anyone's life, and it is all about finding what works for you.

It's great to hear your stories too. Keep them coming.
  • mamitc01
    mamitc01 Posts: 43
    Options
    Hello and welcome (back!). Not being a nutritionist, please take my comments with a grain of salt, but all information I've read stresses that we must consume at least 1,200 calories per day. When you don't fuel your body adequately, your weight may drop initially, but like others have posted, your body goes into starvation mode and HOLDS onto the weight. It's a challenge to get the weight loss moving again because you have to wake up your metabolism. It's odd, but sometimes more is better in weight loss! Good luck!!
  • headstoes
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's concern, and please don't take this the wrong way (lots of things get lost in translation), but I didn't want to be bombarded by criticism.

I am well aware of the supposed risks, and have read and heard a lot about not going under 1200 calories a day, as well as both sides of the concept of 'starvation mode' but I am willing to give it a go. I've been going strong for 5 days now, and I feel it's worth a try!

What's a girl to do? Lol.
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good luck to ya! I just signed up on this site today and am still working through what it has to offer. You will know when the 900 isn't working for you anymore. You may find that you just can't stick to it and it will be OK to add some more calories into your day.

The hardest thing for me is exercise. I really hate it :tongue: ! I know that is what it takes so I'm going to try very hard to start getting up earlier in the morning and getting on my treadmill. It is the only time of the day where I can fit it in. Your young so hopefully your super efficient weight gaining body will get the hint and become a super efficient weight losing body!! It only gets harder with age so at least your trying to get control now!
    take care!
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    1200 calories day? You guys are real troopers. This site has me on 1650 calories a day.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    1200 calories day? You guys are real troopers. This site has me on 1650 calories a day.

That is quite possible, depending on your current height and weight. Also, if you put yourself in a more active category than sedentary, the website will allow you more calories to maintain your body than for someone in a less active category.

Everyone here can increase their allowable calories by adding to their available calories through cardio exercise.
  • headstoes
    Options
    Anyone else sharing their story?