My trainer said to eat more

Options
My trainer was p'd off that I was eating 1200 calories or less (some days, a lot less). I work out 6 days a week for about 75 mins (including strength training). I lost almost 4 lbs week one but my second week weigh-in yesterday showed just a 1.2 lb drop. But that may be due to my water weight dropping as well.

I was down on myself because I was hoping for a 2lb loss and my body fat % to go down. So I am going to try her advice for this week and eat more.

So to make sure I am doing this correctly, my BMR is about 1500 calories. She told me eat at least 1600 calories. Today I will burn about 600 calories through exercise, so should my net calories be 1500 calories (my BMR) or 1200 (per MFP). I understand the importance of eating calories burned but I don't want to eat all 600.

Today my food calories will be a little less than 1400 so I will have 800 net calories after working out. Should I eat the 452 extra calories MFP suggests?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    yes. you're undereating by a ridiculous margin. Where'd you get that your BMR is 1500? Sounds awfully low for a 28 year old female that's working out 6 days a week.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    She is right!! :happy:
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would say at least try to eat some of them back. I personally feel (and the scale agrees) like I lose more weight when I eat more! I wouldn't recommend going and eating two cheeseburgers as the extra cals, my go-to extra calories is popcorn, because it's delicious and awesome. You earned it!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    MFP was designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. Also, if you have your goals set for 2 lbs per week, that's a little aggressive. I would back off to at least 1 lb a week if not less than that. They already have a deficit built in for you, and by you deciding to not eat back your exercise calories, you are creating too much of a deficit. Yes, the weight will come off faster at first, but you will slow down, and probably stall out. I would suggest checking out the road map forum and get your numbers really figured out.

edit: you will also want to do this for more than a week. more like 4-6 weeks for a test run.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Yes. YOur trainer wants you at 1600. If you are using MFP, then eat all your exercise calories. Eat those extra 452 calories.

Your trainer said 1600 - I'm sure she meant INCLUDING the exercise calories.....which, would put you close to what MFP is suggesting.

Eat More.™
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

I was down on myself because I was hoping for a 2lb loss and my body fat % to go down. So I am going to try her advice for this week and eat more.

Eating correctly while in a deficit will get you a loss (not 2 lbs a week) and BF% down.. Too Big of a deficit (1200 calories, buring 1000 calories, kinda thing) and not fueling your workouts, with cardio workouts will make your BF% go up (even though the scale will drop).. You might want to listen to your trainer.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    My trainer was p'd off that I was eating 1200 calories or less (some days, a lot less). I work out 6 days a week for about 75 mins (including strength training). I lost almost 4 lbs week one but my second week weigh-in yesterday showed just a 1.2 lb drop. But that may be due to my water weight dropping as well.

So to make sure I am doing this correctly, my BMR is about 1500 calories. She told me eat at least 1600 calories. Today I will burn about 600 calories through exercise, so should my net calories be 1500 calories (my BMR) or 1200 (per MFP). I understand the importance of eating calories burned but I don't want to eat all 600.

Today my food calories will be a little less than 1400 so I will have 800 net calories after working out. Should I eat the 452 extra calories MFP suggests?

Eat what your trainer suggested - 1600.

Ignore exercise calories if you are following your own customised calorie allowance.

I
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, you want to at least be netting your BMR, as this is the amount of calories your body needs just to get through it's daily basic functions. Working out requires extra calories on top of that number. Food is fuel, and if your deficit is too large or you're netting too few calories, your body isn't getting what it needs to function properly. I don't work out as much as you do, and eating more has been working for me. As long as you're eating less than your TDEE, you'll lose weight. No need to cut back so far on food. :smile:
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the group Eat More 2 Weigh Less under Community. They also have a website eatmore2weighless.com

Lots of useful info!

Good luck! :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

You can do this either one of two ways.

1. Follow MFP. Change your stats to 'sedentary' and your goal to lose 1lb a week. Log and eat all your exercise calories back. I would recommend getting a HRM for more accurate calorie burns.

2. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

Work out your TDEE and eat at a 20% cut from it. DO NOT eat back your exercise calories.

You say you want to lose BF, then you need to learn to be happy with 1lb a week. Faster weight loss is not better.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    yes. you're undereating by a ridiculous margin. Where'd you get that your BMR is 1500? Sounds awfully low for a 28 year old female that's working out 6 days a week.

That is my BMR according to the Tanita scale and is also what I got when I entered it in myself. I know those are the calories burned if I laid in bed all day. When I choose "sedentary" it goes up to the 1800s.
  • Terpnista84
    Options

Eating correctly while in a deficit will get you a loss (not 2 lbs a week) and BF% down.. Too Big of a deficit (1200 calories, buring 1000 calories, kinda thing) and not fueling your workouts, with cardio workouts will make your BF% go up (even though the scale will drop).. You might want to listen to your trainer.

I was wondering why my BF% went up!
  • Terpnista84
    Options

You can do this either one of two ways.

1. Follow MFP. Change your stats to 'sedentary' and your goal to lose 1lb a week. Log and eat all your exercise calories back. I would recommend getting a HRM for more accurate calorie burns.

2. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

Work out your TDEE and eat at a 20% cut from it. DO NOT eat back your exercise calories.

You say you want to lose BF, then you need to learn to be happy with 1lb a week. Faster weight loss is not better.

My TDEE when I don't exercise is 1800, when I exercise it is 2600. 2100 calories is a lot and I'm not sure I can manage that.
  • kgavins25
    kgavins25 Posts: 24
    Options
    This may help my situation and unsuccessful results. My BMR is 1600, TDEE non workout days is 1536 cal, TDEE 3-5 workouts a week is 1984 cal. Since i only workout 4 days a week, sometimes 5 ( 2 days cardio jogging 2miles- 300 cal, 2 days bike ride to gym and weights 200 cal, and help boyfriend cut lawns on weekends 400 cal) Should i be eating the 1984 cals everyday even though there are a couple days i dont workout. Or am i supposed to only eat 1984 on workout days, and 1536 on non workout days? havent quite figured this out yet, and my BF% is going up, gained 2lbs last week, not much inches has changed. Any advice. O jus started this run and ride routine a couple weeks ago, should i wait it out longer?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    My TDEE when I don't exercise is 1800, when I exercise it is 2600. 2100 calories is a lot and I'm not sure I can manage that.
    Sure you can. Butter, Meat, potatoes, cheese, veggies, bread, milk... 2100 calories is easy.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a keeper.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    This may be a first, but I am going to say you should listen to your trainer.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This may help my situation and unsuccessful results. My BMR is 1600, TDEE non workout days is 1536 cal, TDEE 3-5 workouts a week is 1984 cal. Since i only workout 4 days a week, sometimes 5 ( 2 days cardio jogging 2miles- 300 cal, 2 days bike ride to gym and weights 200 cal, and help boyfriend cut lawns on weekends 400 cal) Should i be eating the 1984 cals everyday even though there are a couple days i dont workout. Or am i supposed to only eat 1984 on workout days, and 1536 on non workout days? havent quite figured this out yet, and my BF% is going up, gained 2lbs last week, not much inches has changed. Any advice. O jus started this run and ride routine a couple weeks ago, should i wait it out longer?

The bolded part does not make sense. Your TDEE will always be above your BMR. And if you follow the TDEE method, you eat your TDEE -x% (assuming you want to lose weight) every day, whether you work out or not. If you calculated your 1984 number correctly, use that number. If that's the number to maintain, then subtract a certain %. Of course, if that's true, and your BMR is really 1600 (or 1536, maybe you got those backward?) then subtract 10% for a daily Calorie goal of 1785.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    great trainer I am told to eat more to and that is about the amount of calories I was reccomended to eat also.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    Sure you can. Butter, Meat, potatoes, cheese, veggies, bread, milk... 2100 calories is easy.

That is what I was afraid of: adding more food and getting calories from "bad" places. But if I am allowed to have extra cream in my coffee to bump my calories I would love that lol.