BodyMedia Armband through the Jillian Michael's site?

Options
I am trying to find out if there is any difference purchasing the BodyMedia Armband through the BM site as opposed to the Jillian Michael's site.

I am pretty sure the only differences would be in the subscription rate, possibly, (I read that it is a little cheaper on Jillian's site) but maybe more so in the user interface. I just can't find out any really good info on this.

If there is a difference, do you have to already be a paid subscriber to Jillian's site to take advantage or is the armband subscription a stand alone product?

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can link it to here if you do it through Jillian site.

Do searches for Jillian BMF and Jillian body media to look,at other posts on this.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't own one of these, but the best deal I've seen is at Costco.
    The price is currently $119 and it comes with a 1-year subscription (as opposed to a 3-month subscription).
    Not only that, but Costco has a great return policy.

Edited to add a link:
    http://www.costco.com/BodyMedia-FIT™-LINK-Armband.product.11680102.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=bodymedia&langId=-1&storeId=10301

I don't have a Costco membership, buy my sister does. I keep wavering ... do I want a Bodymedia? Or do I want a Fitbit? (I'm leaning toward a Fitbit since I enjoy logging my steps.)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I don't own one of these, but the best deal I've seen is at Costco.
    The price is currently $119 and it comes with a 1-year subscription (as opposed to a 3-month subscription).
    Not only that, but Costco has a great return policy.

Edited to add a link:
    http://www.costco.com/BodyMedia-FIT™-LINK-Armband.product.11680102.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=bodymedia&langId=-1&storeId=10301

I don't have a Costco membership, buy my sister does. I keep wavering ... do I want a Bodymedia? Or do I want a Fitbit? (I'm leaning toward a Fitbit since I enjoy logging my steps.)

BMF logs steps too. It's so much more accurate.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I got one in December and it's been a real eye opener. I find the Bodymedia very useful. Make sure you get the bluetooth one.

I'll add another vote for Costco so you get the 12 months free, plus you can take it back if it fails (like mine did)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I got one in December and it's been a real eye opener. I find the Bodymedia very useful. Make sure you get the bluetooth one.

I'll add another vote for Costco so you get the 12 months free, plus you can take it back if it fails (like mine did)

The Core is smaller though. A new Core2 is coming out later in the year.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Just checking OP, are you from USA?
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Ooooh....then I might need to take the Costco leap before the sale is over. :-)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just checking OP, are you from USA?

Yes I am, thanks :happy:

I do appreciate knowing that you can't link here if you get it through Jillian's site. I love her lots, but I wouldn't want to be without MFP!!!!
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Ooooh....then I might need to take the Costco leap before the sale is over. :-)
    If you don't have a Costco membership you can still buy it but they'll charge about $6 for being a non-member.

BMF logs steps but I have found once and a while folks complain it isn't always accurate. I don't pay that much attention to my step counts except if I'm trying to break a personal best. BMF is considered the most accurate at deterimining your daily calorie burn. I really am very happy with BMF. It is an eye-opener to see what sort of calories I'm burning in my daily life.
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used the calorie burned number to figure out the equivalent of TDEE-.20? I'm just curious - I see a lot about that on MFP, but it involves a bunch of calculations on figuring out your TDEE, which I assume isn't necessary if you are using the BodyMedia?

Here is my review from a previous thread:

I've had mine for over a year. I did take a couple month break from it when I wasn't really working out or eating well, but I've been wearing it consistently since June now. I have the Link version with an Android phone, and I definitely would NOT recommend it. It's a pain to get the bluetooth to recognize it - when it does sync, I'm never sure what i did to make it sync, and I can't usually get it to do it again. It's just not worth it. I also cannot use the Activity Manager from work - it won't load. I went through customer service a few times, and the only time they could get it to work is if I cleared all my cache, history, and temp files, then completely shut down all your browsers (I tried it on all of them), and restart your PC in order for it to load. And then, when it times out, you can't load it again. I just gave up and started using MFP as a way to log my food and it links with the BM, and it's mobile ap is MUCH better, so that is the fix there.

As far as accurate - it's ok. From the beginning, the sleep monitor shows big chucks of time (at least an hour, sometimes more) in the middle of the night when I am supposedly up - not just lying down, but actually up and out of bed. I can assure you that I don't sleep walk, and I haven't been able to figure out why it stops recording my sleep. So, the accuracy of the sleep data is in question.
    It doesn't register any of my weight training or isometric exercises as even moderate activity. I do aerobic activity daily - walking/running, and it will recognize that down to the minute, but when I am done, I do weight lifting and/or ab/leg/butt exercises, and it doesn't show them as exercising at all. I’m assuming it is ticking up the calorie burn.

For steps, I also question those. I was on vacation and walking about 3 miles every morning, and it would record 5-6k steps. When I got home, I switched to my 4 mile walk, and it would only record 3k steps. When I had a pedometer, my treadmill 3 mile walks always got me at least 6k, but now 4 mile walks were not getting me even 3k. I doubt the accuracy of the pedometer.

For some reason, I figured that the calories burned was different than steps - I could see it being more accurate at that, and it has been, at least, consistent. However, I have had 500-1000 daily calorie deficits, and I have still gained weight. Now, I know I could easily be off 500 calories of eating, so I could see not losing 2 or 3 pounds, but I shouldn't GAIN weight. I now wonder if it is inaccurately inflating my burn.

All that said, I do wear it and use it, but I was reimbursed by my work for getting it, so that is definitely a factor. I'm not sure if I would recommend it, and I definitely would not recommend the link version.

Lynne
  • bossonbabe
    Options
    Thanks to the posts here I ordered a Bodymedia Fit from Costco and it arrived yesterday. Setting it up was a snap and by entering the number on the package, it automatically gave me my 12 months online access included in the price. There are no Costco's in my part of the country so the $6.00 fee was well worth it. My total including sales tax was just under $140 so compared to the $214 price at the gym not including any online access, I'm pretty thrilled. I sync'd it up with my iphone with no difficulty and everything is humming along nicely :-)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Good luck with it.