My trainer said to eat more

Options

Replies

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This may be a first, but I am going to say you should listen to your trainer.

LOL that was never in question. I told her I would follow her advice (and I am going to bring in my food diaries as proof) but I am doing so begrudgingly.
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would say at least try to eat some of them back. I personally feel (and the scale agrees) like I lose more weight when I eat more! I wouldn't recommend going and eating two cheeseburgers as the extra cals, my go-to extra calories is popcorn, because it's delicious and awesome. You earned it!

I agree with this as well. Popcorn is delicious and awesome. I use it for my extra too.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    My TDEE when I don't exercise is 1800, when I exercise it is 2600. 2100 calories is a lot and I'm not sure I can manage that.
    Sure you can. Butter, Meat, potatoes, cheese, veggies, bread, milk... 2100 calories is easy.

That is what I was afraid of: adding more food and getting calories from "bad" places. But if I am allowed to have extra cream in my coffee to bump my calories I would love that lol.
    none of those foods are bad. they all provide nutrients and as long as its not ALL you eat, youll be fine.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    My trainer was p'd off that I was eating 1200 calories or less (some days, a lot less). I work out 6 days a week for about 75 mins (including strength training). I lost almost 4 lbs week one but my second week weigh-in yesterday showed just a 1.2 lb drop. But that may be due to my water weight dropping as well.

I was down on myself because I was hoping for a 2lb loss and my body fat % to go down. So I am going to try her advice for this week and eat more.

So to make sure I am doing this correctly, my BMR is about 1500 calories. She told me eat at least 1600 calories. Today I will burn about 600 calories through exercise, so should my net calories be 1500 calories (my BMR) or 1200 (per MFP). I understand the importance of eating calories burned but I don't want to eat all 600.

Today my food calories will be a little less than 1400 so I will have 800 net calories after working out. Should I eat the 452 extra calories MFP suggests?

You can do this either one of two ways.

1. Follow MFP. Change your stats to 'sedentary' and your goal to lose 1lb a week. Log and eat all your exercise calories back. I would recommend getting a HRM for more accurate calorie burns.

2. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

Work out your TDEE and eat at a 20% cut from it. DO NOT eat back your exercise calories.

You say you want to lose BF, then you need to learn to be happy with 1lb a week. Faster weight loss is not better.

My TDEE when I don't exercise is 1800, when I exercise it is 2600. 2100 calories is a lot and I'm not sure I can manage that.

You must have eaten at least that at some point to be in a position where you want to lose weight,

If you really don't feel you can manage the quantities, there are many things that are calorific, healthy, yet small in volume that can be eaten. Peanut butter, for example.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This may help my situation and unsuccessful results. My BMR is 1600, TDEE non workout days is 1536 cal, TDEE 3-5 workouts a week is 1984 cal. Since i only workout 4 days a week, sometimes 5 ( 2 days cardio jogging 2miles- 300 cal, 2 days bike ride to gym and weights 200 cal, and help boyfriend cut lawns on weekends 400 cal) Should i be eating the 1984 cals everyday even though there are a couple days i dont workout. Or am i supposed to only eat 1984 on workout days, and 1536 on non workout days? havent quite figured this out yet, and my BF% is going up, gained 2lbs last week, not much inches has changed. Any advice. O jus started this run and ride routine a couple weeks ago, should i wait it out longer?

How are you getting your numbers?
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. It includes exercise. You create a deficit from that number. So if you figure you TDEE, you should be eating the same number every day.

MFP does not figure true TDEE as it does not account for exercise. If you follow MFP, on days you exercise you eat those extra calories, on days you don't you eat the number given.

ETA - you may want to create your own post to get more answers.

But you've only logged since Tuesday. And how are you measuring your food? Are you really only eating 1oz of chicken and a baked potato with nothing on it?
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely.
  • lauren3101
    Options
    My trainer was p'd off that I was eating 1200 calories or less (some days, a lot less). I work out 6 days a week for about 75 mins (including strength training). I lost almost 4 lbs week one but my second week weigh-in yesterday showed just a 1.2 lb drop. But that may be due to my water weight dropping as well.

I was down on myself because I was hoping for a 2lb loss and my body fat % to go down. So I am going to try her advice for this week and eat more.

So to make sure I am doing this correctly, my BMR is about 1500 calories. She told me eat at least 1600 calories. Today I will burn about 600 calories through exercise, so should my net calories be 1500 calories (my BMR) or 1200 (per MFP). I understand the importance of eating calories burned but I don't want to eat all 600.

Today my food calories will be a little less than 1400 so I will have 800 net calories after working out. Should I eat the 452 extra calories MFP suggests?

1. Follow MFP. Change your stats to 'sedentary' and your goal to lose 1lb a week. Log and eat all your exercise calories back. I would recommend getting a HRM for more accurate calorie burns.

2. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

Work out your TDEE and eat at a 20% cut from it. DO NOT eat back your exercise calories.

You say you want to lose BF, then you need to learn to be happy with 1lb a week. Faster weight loss is not better.

You must have eaten at least that at some point to be in a position where you want to lose weight,

If you really don't feel you can manage the quantities, there are many things that are calorific, healthy, yet small in volume that can be eaten. Peanut butter, for example. Use whole milk rather than skimmed. Butter instead of margarine, etc etc.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. Butter, Meat, potatoes, cheese, veggies, bread, milk... 2100 calories is easy.

That is what I was afraid of: adding more food and getting calories from "bad" places. But if I am allowed to have extra cream in my coffee to bump my calories I would love that lol.
    none of those foods are bad. they all provide nutrients and as long as its not ALL you eat, youll be fine.
    no kidding, I can't wrap my head around why meat/cheese/veggies/bread/etc... is bad. You just don't have to exist in a "low-fat-no-fat" world.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I'd be pissed if I was your trainer too...crashing your diet and all. Do what your trainer recommends...she sounds like a keeper. Lose weight (fat) the healthy and safe way. Doing what you're doing, you're burning a lot of muscle and you're ultimately going to just completely stall out your metabolism.
  • Terpnista84
    Options

2. Read this:

If you really don't feel you can manage the quantities, there are many things that are calorific, healthy, yet small in volume that can be eaten. Peanut butter, for example.
    Ouch! HAHA. You are so right though. But it is hard to switch to that mentality when you are "dieting." Peanut butter is a greaaaaat suggestion. When I was severely cutting calories I would have killed just for a spoonful.

Oh and I bought 2% milk this morning. I needed the extra calories so I knew I couldn't get skim.
  • Terpnista84
    Options

no kidding, I can't wrap my head around why meat/cheese/veggies/bread/etc... is bad. You just don't have to exist in a "low-fat-no-fat" world.

You have made me a VERY happy girl. I love the MFP community. I was on the other site and this is sooooo much better!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Ouch! HAHA. You are so right though. But it is hard to switch to that mentality when you are "dieting." Peanut butter is a greaaaaat suggestion. When I was severely cutting calories I would have killed just for a spoonful.

Change the mentality. You aren't dieting. You're eating. If you look at it like a diet, there's an end to it.. when you hit a certain point then just break loose.

Eat like you plan to for the rest of your life, problem solved. If you want PB, have a spoonful. It fits in your calories/macros, kill it. Enjoy it.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    You are absolutely right. And that dieting mentality is why I last for 2 months and quit. If I can eat like this and maintain my activity level there is no reason for me to fail.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    You are absolutely right. And that dieting mentality is why I last for 2 months and quit. If I can eat like this and maintain my activity level there is no reason for me to fail.
    bingo.
  • lauren3101
    Options

2. Read this:

Oh and I bought 2% milk this morning. I needed the extra calories so I knew I couldn't get skim.

Sorry. It wasn't meant to sound insulting. I hear it a lot though - 'I couldn't possibly eat that many calories in a day', and I've never understood it - I could happily eat 4000 calories a day (even of healthy foods) which is exactly why I'm here haha.

What the others have said is right, this can't be seen as a diet. There is no 'bad' food, just some that is less nutritious or higher calories than others. A food is only ever bad when you eat too much of it.

I would definitely recommend eating at LEAST your BMR, plus exercise cals. You say you want to lose BF, so it's good that you aren't focusing on the scales. But, weight loss doesn't always show on the scales. I've had many ups and downs but I am still losing and maintaining my LBM, which is what is important. With your kind of deficit, you will burn muscle too.
  • carissawhitworth
    Options
    I am 23 years old 5'7" and 185 pounds
    My TDEE is 2,000 set at sedentary
    I subtracts 500
    so My daily goal is 1500 calories a day and I eat back my excersise calories

I workout 3-5 times a week but didn't include that in my calculations so I could eat back cals and make it easier to keep track on MFP

so this morning I bunred 840 calories at the gym
    today I will eat about 2200 calories

BTW my BMR is around 1622

tomorrow will be a rest day
    So I will eat 1500
    I know I know dont eat under your BMR but I am using my TDEE to determine my fitness goals
    So 1500 is the key for me :)
    SO I will only eat 1500- unless I workout- ps when I eat back my excersise cals its not an excuse to eat a cheeseburger- it just means I can have the whole p28 bagel post workout rather than half for snack , it means I can enjoy my almond butter, and eggs, and chicken, mabe add some beans to a salad :)

Ive been toying with my calculations ALOT the past couple weeks and have been extremely confused (and stressed) PLEASE SOMEONE tell me I have it right??????
  • kgavins25
    kgavins25 Posts: 24
    Options
    I dont remember the website, but it calculated my BMR at 1600. I multiplied it by 1.2 and 1.55 to get 1920 to maintain with little exercise and 2480 to maintain with 3-5 days of exercise. So i subtracted 20% from those values to get weight loss and came up with 1536 with little exercise and 1984 with 3-5 days of exercise. So i wasnt sure if im suppose to always aim for the 1984, or do i eat that only on the days i workout? And you're right i havent been too consistent on logging on days im not at a computer and out in the field for work, or too busy on weekends. I will try to improve on that. But yes, 1oz of chicken in my cup of soup, N no my baked potato will have additional topping, but i havent gone home to eat dinner yet, so i havent filled it out yet, but still have cal remaining, so i dont think that is the issue. I have only been trying to eat and exercise with this routine for a couple weeks. but i started logging since august of last year and havent figured it out yet. Weight has been up and down, due to different activities changing.
    This may help my situation and unsuccessful results. My BMR is 1600, TDEE non workout days is 1536 cal, TDEE 3-5 workouts a week is 1984 cal. Since i only workout 4 days a week, sometimes 5 ( 2 days cardio jogging 2miles- 300 cal, 2 days bike ride to gym and weights 200 cal, and help boyfriend cut lawns on weekends 400 cal) Should i be eating the 1984 cals everyday even though there are a couple days i dont workout. Or am i supposed to only eat 1984 on workout days, and 1536 on non workout days? havent quite figured this out yet, and my BF% is going up, gained 2lbs last week, not much inches has changed. Any advice. O jus started this run and ride routine a couple weeks ago, should i wait it out longer?

The bolded part does not make sense. Your TDEE will always be above your BMR. And if you follow the TDEE method, you eat your TDEE -x% (assuming you want to lose weight) every day, whether you work out or not. If you calculated your 1984 number correctly, use that number. If that's the number to maintain, then subtract a certain %. Of course, if that's true, and your BMR is really 1600 (or 1536, maybe you got those backward?) then subtract 10% for a daily Calorie goal of 1785.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    sorry if this has already been said, but realize that MFP does not really pay attention to your BMR when calculating your calorie needs. it just takes your current weight and activity level and suggests a number. for most users (men, women, obese, fit, whatever) who select the 2 lbs a week option, this puts them at 1200 calories which is far too few for most active adutls. do some searches and you'll find a plethora of info on why you should not ever eat below your BMR for an extended period of time, especially if you are working out.
  • Terpnista84
    Options

2. Read this:

Sorry. It wasn't meant to sound insulting. I hear it a lot though - 'I couldn't possibly eat that many calories in a day', and I've never understood it - I could happily eat 4000 calories a day (even of healthy foods) which is exactly why I'm here haha.

What the others have said is right, this can't be seen as a diet. There is no 'bad' food, just some that is less nutritious or higher calories than others. A food is only ever bad when you eat too much of it.

I would definitely recommend eating at LEAST your BMR, plus exercise cals. You say you want to lose BF, so it's good that you aren't focusing on the scales. But, weight loss doesn't always show on the scales. I've had many ups and downs but I am still losing and maintaining my LBM, which is what is important. With your kind of deficit, you will burn muscle too.
    I didn't take it as an insult, more like "tough love" :) And you are right- I am more than capable of eating that much if I wanted to and wasn't so hard on myself.

I use the Tanita scale at the gym so it will help me to not obsess over the overall number since I can see a breakdown of my body composition.