Please help! Perfect hardboiled eggs??

Options

Replies

• BellaLacie
    Options
    I put the eggs in pot of water. Wait for it to start boiling then time it for 10 mins with it boiling the whole time. Turns out great for me.

This is exactly what i do and it works perfectly!
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Put your eggs in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes. Turn the burner off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.

That's how I do mine, and they turn out great every time.

Same here!! Great every time!
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    Yes to the suggestions to bake them in the oven. It sounds really strange, but I did this and they came out PERFECTLY. I don't know why it seems easier than boiling them because it takes about the same amount of time. But taking the need to boil the water and such took out some of the complexity for me. I don't know....less micromanaging or something.

If you follow the instructions exactly (and account for your oven's temp differences), and then submerge them in an ice bath for 5 minutes, the eggs will come out perfectly and peel so easily.

I don't peel and re-chill, though. After the icebath they refrigerate until I'm really to peel them. My daughter likes to take them to school and she peeled hers before packing it one day, and her yolk turned green by lunchtime. She found if she left the shell on until she was ready to eat them, they came out much better.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Put your eggs in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes. Turn the burner off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.

That's how I do mine, and they turn out great every time.

That's exactly what I do too! Plus I add a little baking soda to help with peeling.

Me too, and next time I'm going to try adding the baking soda! Thanks!
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There's an app for that!

Seriously!
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Really? Hard boiled eggs??...... wow....
  • jeffreykeith85
    jeffreykeith85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_and_techniques/how_to_boil_an_egg
  • finallydetermined
    finallydetermined Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Start with cold water enough to cover the eggs. Bring to rolling boil, cover and remove from heat. Let set 10 minutes drain and then put in a bath of ice water for a few minutes to cool.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I fail every time. I always undercook! Any help? Thanks in advance.

That's funny. I always overcook my soft boiled eggs.
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options

That's understandable. I have never heard of anyone not being able to cook a hard boiled egg.
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

That's understandable. I have never heard of anyone not being able to cook a hard boiled egg.

Well, now you have, kiddo! :)
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options

Well, now you have, kiddo! :)

haha! true that
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    I guess I cant ever say "ive never heard that before" again. Thanks for that
  • mama12345678
    Options
    I use my rice cooker. Put water in the bottom and eggs in basket. Turn on for 35 minutes and when bell dings they are done. perfect every tim
  • MissySchwab
    MissySchwab Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    put a single layer of eggs in a saucepan cover with cold water add 1/2 tsp baking soda to make them easy to peel.Bring to a boil on high once rapidly boiling(lots of bubbles) turn off and put a lid on them.Let them sit for 11 minutes for a large,15 for jumbo and extra large .drain and cover with cool water let sit for 10 minutes then peel.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I boil for 17 minutes and then put cold water on them for a few minutes. Perfect every time.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    1) Don't use fresh eggs. I reserve a dozen in the back of my fridge and let them age a little first.
    2) Put eggs in the pan and cover with COLD water
    3) Put pan on stove and turn heat on high
    4) Add a TBSP of baking soda to the pan
    5) Once the water is boiling, let boil for 1 minute.
    6) Then remove from heat and put a lid on it.
    7) Set timer for 13 minutes.
    8) Set up an ice bath for the eggs (large bowl or sink filled with ice and cold water)
    9) After the 13 minutes are up, pour the hot water off the eggs and then put them in the ice bath for 5 minutes (use a timer).
    10) Peel them immediately.

11) ENJOY!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My eggs always turn out just right. I start with cool tap water so the shells don't crack. I bring the eggs to a low boil, then let them simmer for 6 minutes. I immediately rinse them in cold water. I crack the eggs I'm going to use by tapping all sides on the counter, then use a teaspoon to slide under the membrane and slip the shell off. Very fresh eggs are harder to shell, so use eggs you've had for a week or two.