People on these forums can be quite cruel.

Options
I am getting tired of people on here making assumptions about me. Everyone acts like they have a Ph.D. in nutrition and have been my personal physician since birth. (I got told I wasn't loosing anything because I had one donut for two days in a row, thus I was eating unhealthy).
I've been trying to loose weight for about 10 months and have only managed to loose 9/10lbs.

Blah blah blah healthy diet, working out blah.
Even my nutritionist and doctors are stumped. Despite lots of blood tests nothing has been found and I've finally gone to a biaterics clinic for assistance... but I don't see her again until April 17... and I can't wait that long for results.

I want to loose 10lbs by May for graduation, but with my track record I feel like its impossible. I could use some major support because I am about to start pigging out 100%.

Replies

• jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    I think 10 lbs is good! it may not be as fast as you'd like and some people may have lost more in that time frame but forget about them... but don't give up now, you could probably lose 10 Ibs by then, just switch it up do a different exercise.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    if things aren't adding up, then something is wrong.
    either there is a mysterious medical condition
    or you are lying to yourself

either way you will likely need professional help.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can DO THIS.

I agree, people seem to have a blast baiting other forum users and then tearing them down for sharing an opinion. What their damage is I guess I will never know. What I do know is I feel a lot better when I ignore all that BS. Something tells me if the highlight of your day is starting a cleanse post so you can mock people, your life is going NOWHERE.

You need to make it simple and boil your choices down to yes or no. Also I find entering things before I eat them into the MFP app is enough to stop me from going balls out on the face stuffing :D
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    if things aren't adding up, then something is wrong.
    either there is a mysterious medical condition
    or you are lying to yourself

either way you will likely need professional help.
    That's what I'm doing now... luckily my nutritionist and the biatrics doctor believe me.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tired of people making these threads every three hours....
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i lose weight incredibly slow as well. i kill myself and have maintained for almost a month- argh!!

im sure u have heard it before, but have u tried increasing protein and cutting back on carbs? it helps a lot of people... your diary has a very low protein count
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    You can't let other people control your life like that. If they something helpful take it into consideration, if not just blow it off, but never let your frustration at these people cause you to lose sight of your goal. You have 6 weeks till may, set your food count for 1.5 or 2 pounds a week and then just mov ahead. You can do it!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and hey I'm not one to judge, but donuts everyday or beer or pretzels probably will slow down your progress. Perhaps its the quality of food you eat, so many processed things, and very carb heavy. Maybe switch it up with more protein, consistent meals and healthy snacks.. sometimes even if you are staying under your calories, the quality of those calories really make a difference. I found this to be true when I was trying to lose the last 10 lbs. I don't know what kind of workouts you do, but it they are hardcore, you def can have more protein. But if it was me, I def would cut out the sweets/junk/booze first.. or limit to 1x a week

best of luck hope you meet your goal :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I am getting tired of people on here making assumptions about me. I've been trying to loose weight for about 10 months and have only managed to loose 10lbs.

Even my nutritionist and doctors are stumped. Despite lots of blood tests nothing has been found and I've finally gone to a biaterics clinic for assistance... but I don't see her again until April 17... and I can't wait that long for results.

I want to loose 10lbs by May for graduation, but with my track record I feel like its impossible. I could use some major support because I am about to say '**** it' and start pigging out 100%.

Cruel eh? How do you loose weight exactly? Are you saying you want it to giggle more or something? Does your 10 lbs feel looser than the other weight you have? Dictionary.com is your friend?

hahahah J/k OP stay focused make some helpful MFP friends and do it for yourself. Don't concern your self with other peoples assumptions. 10 lbs in 10 months is still a loss. Maybe you need to reflect on a before and after picture to appreciate your hard work. If you have no picture grab a 10 lb weight and walk around with it for 5 minutes then set it down and understand your achievements. Be proud and stay focused because you are getting results.:flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way.

If you give up now, you will probably gain 10 lbs by May.

Just an assumption, of course, but I know if I stopped now, I'll easily put on 20 or 30 by May.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    There is not enough information here about your diet or exercise to give you any advice, but as for the forum meanies, they exist in all online communities. Easier said than done, but it's better just to ignore, because the majority of people on here are really helpful.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    People aren't mean and I'm sure no one is making assumptions about you. Everyone here has more to worry about than that - everyone is here to help but may help in a way that isn't effective for you - just ignore them and concentrate on YOU!

Pigging out isn't going to solve and prove anything. Losing weight is HARD, it's hard for all of us, but what I found is the most important part is not giving up and consistency. Just taking a brief look at your diary I see most days you aren't eating enough and there's only a week of data to go on. I think your calorie goal is really good, keep it there. If you have 1460 calories a day, eat at least 1400, EVERY DAY. Try and make most of your calories come from healthy things and reduced processed foods. When you do workout, eat back 1/2 of those calories.

I'd say if I were you my goals for the next 4 weeks is to log EVERY day and workout 3 days a week for 45 minutes (combo weights and cardio). After the 4 weeks, look at the items you are eating. Are their healthier substitutions you can make to your diet without feeling deprived. You are so young and I hate to see you "giving up" this early in life.

I know you want to lose 10 pounds before graduation but this isn't a race, making small changes now can help you big time in the future.
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're saying it's impossible may be the very thing that's making it impossible for you.Obviously I don't know you, but from reading your post sounds like you need an attitude change. There's no way that you're doing everyting right and not seeing the results. Combine a positive attitude, block out anyone and anything negative, be consistent with eating healthy and exercising everyday, show some patience, and results are guarenteed!! No miracle pill, no crash dieting, stop the excuses and complaining, just good ol' consistency of healthy eating and exercise everyday. lol, unless you're a robot IT WILL work for you!! You can do it! :smile: :wink:
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and hey I'm not one to judge, but donuts everyday or beer or pretzels probably will slow down your progress. Perhaps its the quality of food you eat, so many processed things, and very carb heavy. Maybe switch it up with more protein, consistent meals and healthy snacks.. sometimes even if you are staying under your calories, the quality of those calories really make a difference. I found this to be true when I was trying to lose the last 10 lbs. I don't know what kind of workouts you do, but it they are hardcore, you def can have more protein. But if it was me, I def would cut out the sweets/junk/booze first.. or limit to 1x a week

This week has literally been out of character for me. Usually I avoid those foods like the bloody plague. -.-
    I avoid processed foods and heavy carbs.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you posted another topic with the same thing...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921211-gaining-muscle-no-fat-loss
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You don't seem to log very consistently - you have a lot of days with nothing logged, some days with only a few things, and on the days where you do, you eat a lot of processed, junky food. Are you logging everything you eat?

It looks from your ticker that you have only a little weight to lose (14lb total??) - if this is true then you should expect the rate of loss to be very slow.

I am curious given that, why you are going to a bariatric (I assume that's what you mean, right?) clinic, which is typically for very overweight people. Perhaps you should see an endocrinologist. But prior to resorting to the 'medical-issue' conclusion, I would suggest logging strictly for a month or so and see how things go.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am getting tired of people on here making assumptions about me. Everyone acts like they have a Ph.D. in nutrition and have been my personal physician since birth. I got told I wasn't loosing anything because I had one donut for two days in a row, thus I was eating unhealthy).
    I've been trying to loose weight for about 10 months and have only managed to loose 9/10lbs.

I want to loose 10lbs by May for graduation, but with my track record I feel like its impossible. I could use some major support because I am about to say '**** it' and start pigging out 100%.

No what she said was this -
    Your ticker says you've lost 8lbs and you say your clothes fit better...those ARE changes!

Had a peek at your diary, a couple of days you've not even eaten 1,000 cals and 320 of those are donuts. Your body need nutrition and a certain amount of calories to keep you going in a healthy manner.

Try and net more, eat a bit 'cleaner' and drink lots of water, it all helps.

You got a ton of good info in your post. Everyone was helpful. Not one person was cruel.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Since you lose weight so slowly while trying your best, you know what will happen if you give up and start pigging out. I am like that, too. It can take me weeks to lose one pound and one weekend to put it back on.

Over the past 4-1/3 years, I have lost 22 pounds, nearly 23. I know that part of it is the fact that I'm not consistent. I "forget" to exercise for days to even weeks at a time, and I have various bites and sips that never make it onto my food log (not to mention meals that I don't log at all or days I take away from logging completely). I can't think of anything to do except continue pushing forward in my quest to shed old bad habits and gain new good ones. I know where giving up will get me, and I don't want to go there.

Good luck; hang in there. You can put cruel people on ignore; message me if you don't know how.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This week has literally been out of character for me. Usually I avoid those foods like the bloody plague. -.-
    I avoid processed foods and heavy carbs.

Carbs and processed foods aren't going to interfere with weight loss, however, a possible gluten allergy can't be completely ruled out. Either way, if someone says that you are having trouble losing because you ate a doughnut or drank a beer, you should ignore that fool because they are talking out the otherside of their *kitten*.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I consider myself ****ensian in my approach to support. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Very, very cruel indeed. What's that you say? You want MORE food? Scoff! You won't want more when you know what's in store . . .

With love,
    Burt

Edited to clarify: Dickensian. Dickens may be a bad author, but certainly not a vulgar word.