Need to increase my fat intake but don't eat nuts - help!

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Switch to full fat dairy. Dairy fat is healthy. And start stir-fying veggies in olive oil. That should help.

What makes you say dairy fat is healthy?

The fats in dairy are associated with a decreased risk of cancer, for starters.

There is evidence that risk of colon cancer risk is decreased, but evidence that others such as prostate and ovarian are increased. And some evidence that too much dairy fat in premenopausal women can increase risk of breast cancer. None of the evidence is strong enough to be conclusive. And there is evidence that too much dairy fat may increase risk of heart disease.

While I wouldn't consider dairy fat "unhealthy", I don't think there is sufficient evidence to say it's "healthy". Though I suppose that depends on how one defines a "healthy food". Since most nutrition experts put it in the "eat in moderation" category it wouldn't meet my definition.

It just goes to show you that there's probably a study for everything when it concerns risk factors for cancer. I read one that said the opposite. Here is an interesting link with all sorts of studies. :http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/#fats-and-cancer

Here's an excerpt:
    Breast Cancer

By the early 1980s, most nutrition experts believed that dietary fat was a major cause of breast cancer. (45,46) This thinking was largely based on international comparisons showing higher breast cancer rates in countries with higher per capita fat intake. But such comparisons are very broad in nature. As more detailed studies were performed over the next couple of decades, the apparent link between total fat intake and breast cancer has faded. (47) The Women’s Health Initiative Dietary Modification Trial, which was specifically designed to examine the effect of a low-fat diet on the development of breast cancer, showed similar rates of breast cancer in women eating a low-fat diet and in those eating a “regular” diet. (10) One recent study from the National Institutes of Health–AARP Diet and Health Study found a very weak positive association between fat and postmenopausal breast cancer, (48) but when combined with the many other studies detailed above, the overall evidence does not support a relationship between total fat intake and breast cancer.

And here's the very next paragraph:
    Although studies—including those by Harvard researchers—of different types of fat have largely failed to find a link with breast cancer, some evidence suggests that animal fat intake in young women may be linked to higher risk of breast cancer. In the Nurses’ Health Study II, premenopausal women who ate diets high in animal fat had a 40 to 50 percent higher risk of breast cancer, compared to women who ate the least animal fat. (49) Because vegetable fat was not related to risk of breast cancer, these findings suggest that red meat and high-fat dairy products may contain other factors, such as hormones, that increase risk of breast cancer. Some European studies have reported suggestive findings of lower breast cancer risk among women with a high intake of monounsaturated fats (mainly in the form of olive oil). (50,51)

And yes, there are studies for just about every subject when it comes to nutrition and many have conflicting results and many others have insufficient number of studies to make conclusions. That's why I believe it's important to look not just for individual study results, but at the advice of qualified reviewers of all available study data. Like those at the Harvard School of Public Health. which recommends limiting dairy fat because of it's association with disease risk.
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I forced myself to eat a mixture of nuts and seeds & tonight I am having thai curry made with coconut milk and guess what, my macros are now where they should be. Thanks all for your suggestions. Will be using them all I'm sure!
  • sindikumva
    Options
    Try higher fat milk. It has more calcium anyways!!
  • valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in the fat/disease link may want to read the book "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It." Very lengthy literature review of diet/obesity medical publications since the early 1900s. The major conclusion of the book is that the link to obesity/diet related diseases is not fat, but excessive/low quality carb intake...I post this because the link to cancer is specifically addressed. Read and decide for yourself!