Ditch the scale, really!!

Options
HappilyLifts
HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
here's why:
(please right click image and select 'view image' as I'm not sure how to make all 7 images fit to this page)
2007to2013_zpsb0526778.jpg
discovered that I look almost the same as I did when I weighed 159 pounds in 2007 and did nothing but jog a couple of times a week (photo on the left).
Middle photos are me at my heaviest, 212 pounds.
Photos to the right are of me last week back into UK size 12 gym leggings after a year of cardio and strength, up to five days a week all weeks barring illness and holidays away from home.
I was a size 12 back in 2007, but the strange thing is, I now weigh 185, not 159 pounds.
I gained about 3 pounds two weeks ago and I haven't been able to shift them and have been feeling pretty fed up and my eating habits were starting to suffer as I beat myself up over it and beginning to not care. Feeling a bit better now!
My message to you is -
The scales are TERRIBLE indicators of progress sometimes! Please don't rely soley on them. Take photos, measurements, go by how your clothes fit, anything but let the scales bring you down!

Replies

• JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Excellent comparison!!! Thank you!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    wow! I agree that the scale is a terrible indicator of health (or size for that matter). Great comparison!
  • lalaglo30
    lalaglo30 Posts: 33
    Options
    Scales definitely don't tell all. I know women who are my size that weigh the same but look heavier and I know women who weigh alot less than me but look the same as me and wear the same size. It's all about muscle mass and how you hold the weight.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I agree, in general. Although when you're as heavy as I am and trying to stay motivated, weighing every once in a while is the only obvious way you can measure progress and know that all your hard work is having an impact. But it certainly isn't the only (or even the most important) way, and I think that the longer you have been successful towards your goals, the less the scale should factor in. At least, that's what makes sense for me.
  • MommyofTwinies31
    MommyofTwinies31 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree you look amazing :smile:
  • christineoak
    Options
    ty for the post, i needed that. haven't been able to drop below 180 lbs and have been getting very discouraged. but i have seen a difference in how my clothes fit and yes even my shoes! and my diastasis recti has almost disappeared!
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That is so true! I went to an exercise class last Friday and after I told the instructor I wanted to lose 30 LBS she said that is too much and asked me what I thought she weighed. I said 125LBS even though she looked smaller...she weighed 142LBS!

I still keep that little black dress that I can't fit into and when I do I know I have reached my goal!

You look great!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic illustration of why scales can be so stupid, especially for those of us who are strength training. Thanks for sharing your photos and your experience. :flowerforyou:
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I have slowly been learning this, but it's hard. I feel better and can see a difference in the mirror, so it must be true!!

Congats, you look great!
  • charlie42
    charlie42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congrats!
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Scales can do more harm than good. A lot of the time they are damn depressing because of weight fluctuations
    and seeing no progress can lead people to throw in the towel.
    Better to go by how your clothes are fitting, or waist measurements.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Scales definitely don't tell all. I know women who are my size that weigh the same but look heavier and I know women who weigh alot less than me but look the same as me and wear the same size. It's all about muscle mass and how you hold the weight.

Amen. Coworker is 148 I'm 175. She looks like shes about 20 pounds heavier than me. I work out, she does not.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    You look great and thank you for this.

I have a number in my head that i'd like to get to, but i've been at the same weight for months. I'm now working more on strength and even though the scale is the same my clothes are a lot looser. it's just hard getting that goal number out of my head. i took before pictures when i started p90x so even if the scale doesn't drop at my next weigh in i'm hoping comparison pictures will help my attitude.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Even more motivation for me to keep with measurements and not the scale. Great work!
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    That is so true! I went to an exercise class last Friday and after I told the instructor I wanted to lose 30 LBS she said that is too much and asked me what I thought she weighed. I said 125LBS even though she looked smaller...she weighed 142LBS!

I still keep that little black dress that I can't fit into and when I do I know I have reached my goal!

You look great!

Yep Im striving for a size 8. Whatever that weighs. I'm currently at about 172ish and a size 12.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree. While it would be nice to weigh 142 by now......I decided that since my body won't move out of the 160's, for now 167.2lbs, I am wearing smaller clothes (mostly mediums in tops, and size 11 jeans which are starting to get a little big on me) and honestly as long as as that is happening, my scale can go shove it.

Btw, you look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AngisBubis
    AngisBubis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing those pictures. I need to take that advice. I am hooked on weighing in daily! It is very discouraging at times.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This time around i think I'm much more aware of that so i weigh myself weekly but am also taking measurements and my body fat % monthly. That way if my weight doesn't go down I can still see if I'm being successful by those other factors.
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. You look fabulous! I have steadily gained weight over the last 3 years. (Lost my exercise buddy, lost my job, etc.) Now I am back at the gym and for motivation I have hung all the clothes I purchased as I got bigger on a spare rack in the closet according to decreasing size. As I fit back in to them, I move them to the rack where I hang my current wardrobe. It makes me feel great to move something over!
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think you look a slight bit smaller in the ones now weighing more than the old one when you just ran. I am convinced myself that I too even though I am 15 lbs larger than I was last year at this time feel as small as I did then. Just the feeling of not having a huge belly poking out.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!