Moms - When do you find the time?

Options

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If you're a mom you're busy. We all have a million things to do. Make the time for yourself, get up earlier, whatever it takes. If you want it bad enough you can manage 30 minutes in a day to do it.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I make the time. Working out is a priority. I work Monday through Friday 8am - 4 pm. I get home and get supper ready, then load up the 3 kids (5, 3, and 18 months) into the car and we go to the Y. Drop them off at Childwatch and I go workout (31 minutes on the elliptical, pushups, other strength training 2-3 days a week in addition to the cardio). I do this nearly every day (February I made it there 25 out of 28 days). Commitment is important to my success. Two of my children (the younger two) are also still nursing (overnight, even) so I do get less sleep than some people but working out gives me such a burst, that my brain is now trained to crave it, I think. :smile: Spring - Fall, I also have a 2nd job as a photographer, so definitely busy here!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    if you expect to find time... it won't happen. You MAKE time for your health.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm a single parent to two great kids. I work full time as well. I no longer use the excuse of not having time. I make time. The gym for me is a priority like many other things. Some times the kids go to the gym with me. Other times its early a.m. or after they are in bed. I've also used my lunch hour to workout as well.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Lock my kids in the closet with an Apple App. Yeah there is an app for that. No seriously, I joined a gym with a daycare. Also I told my husband if I don't get my "Me-time" He wont get his.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    YES!! That is exactly what I used to say! Now i decide to get up OFF the couch when I have the extra 5 minutes, and either do a work out video, take the kids to the park if weather permists---and actually run around with them---instead of sitting on the bench going through my phone.

I also work full time, have 2 kids, and a hubby. I have noticed that I have SOOO much more energy NOW that I do work out, and choose to be more active. Before I would fall asleep at 830 ---thats my kids bed time! Dont get me wrong its still a struggle some times, but once you find a work out that you like you will CHOOSE to do it! And once you see even a little bit of results, that will motivate you EVEN more!!

I also notice I am in a better mood when I work out regularly. Since Jan I have lost 13 pounds. Eating better, making better choices, choosing to be more active, and work out--NOT everyday--but usually.

feel free to add me!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am 40 years old, a mother of two, and I have a full-time job. I have about 75lbs to lose and I know I need to up my physical exercise/activity. Are there any of you out there like me that just can't find the time? Or just don't have the energy by the time the kiddos are in bed? AND, if there are some of you that have a similar life that have figured out how to work it all in - please give me some pointers!

Are you a single mother? What do your days currently look like?

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a hellacious commute, so yawn - up at 3:45-4am to workout then. Or, I'll go for a walk/jog before I leave work. I'm considering joining a gym- not sure if it will be home (there's a 24hr one) or by work (easier to stop in before/after).
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with a friend this morning and have come to the conclusion that I'm a super hero....

I either do it at 4:30 AM or on my lunch break at work.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I walk with my kids. Its easy now cause they are 11, 12, and 16 but when they were smaller, the two youngest were in a stroller and the bigger one rode her bike. I get to exercise and my girls get outside time with mom. I know that walking may not work forever but its working for now.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Mom of a 2.5-year-old, work full time as a marketing manager (50+ hours/week), grad school part time...it's hard. You don't "find" time. You MAKE time. I get up at 3:40 every day to work out and shower because my husband leaves the house at 5:30 and it's just me and the kiddo getting ready in the morning.
  • kirstenleo
    kirstenleo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    full time working mommy of three kids here...plus a two hour commute per day...talk about feeling like there is no time...but listen...there is time for yourself...I started this a year ago...75 pounds to lose total...down 54...feel amazing!!!! take it slow so it becomes a life change not a diet...fit in phsical exercise when you can...whether its parking far away...taking the steps instead of an elevator...mowing your lawn...etc...the weight will come off...also if you have a bad day...don't beat yourself up...just get right back on the horse the next day. Friend me if you like...we can all use as much support as we can. good luck on your journey!
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You could do some of the following...
    1. Get outside with your kids (weather permitting) Sometimes I will walk up and down my driveway while they ride bikes, or walk around my property.
    2. This is when a workout video could come in handy. Get them busy or put in a movie for them, and you can go in another room and get your workout on! :)
    3. I take my daughter with me to Zumba. She loves it as much as I do! :)

It may even mean you do 10 min. here and 10 min. there. As long as you get it in, it's not going to matter! :)
    OH and I'm a 38 year old mother of a 6 year old daughter and a 4 year old son.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I work 50 hours a week, part time stupent, and have a four year old and a three year old. I work 2-midnight & their dad works 1-10, and mornings are crazy in my house. On Monday's, Wednesday's, adn Friday's I try to get up by 8 (yes, I only get about 4-5 hours of sleep on those days because I dont get home til about 1:30 in the AM & cant fall asleep right away) and go work out for two hours at my local YMCA. Every day, I also work out on my hour lunch break. It is important to me, so I make the time. I dont workout much on the weekends, but I do try to do activities with my children thta include walking or being really active (like playing together at a playland or going to walk the track/steps at McKinley Monument park)

ETA: Even when this wasnt our schedule, I still wanted to work out and didnt have the time to do it alone, i did P90X and my then 3 and two year olds would "workout" with me. They thought it was fun, and knowing that Mommy and daddy work out shows them that it is important to keep active. I think my workouts with my kids are my favorite, but right now due to our schedule that just is not an option.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 AM during the week and do it before anyone is up. It's not hard once you get into a routine. I also sometimes exercise during lunch break. When your body adjusts, you'll actually have more energy!

Hope this helps. And since most shared, I have three children and work fulltime.
  • Annimack2
    Annimack2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of two kids (ages 9 & 7). I also work a full-time job 5 days a week and take the kids to activities during the week. I've only started to work out again but I find it best to work out when they go to bed. I get my shoes on and I start right away. If I don't work out then and sit down I get tired and then I don't have the motivation to get up and do it. I live a very busy life and I and everyone else needs to take the time no matter what and just do it. Although I'm finding I'm struggling more towards the end of the week because I'm more tired like now but I want results and the only way I'm going to get them is to do it. I find working out Sunday through Thursday works good for my schedule as they usually go to their dads every other Friday and the Fridays that I have them we usually do movie night and after a movie I'm just too tired to work out.
    We are all busy but if you want change you just have to make the time.

Good luck :)
  • lisamarieayotte
    lisamarieayotte Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom of a rambunctious 3-year-old. Even before my son was born, I complained that my lifestyle was just too hectic to accomodate a good workout. Then, once my son came into my life, I REALLY didn't know how to find the time.

The truth? The time was there, I just didn't know how to use it. I was making excuses for myself and I was using my son as an excuse. I would never want him to think that he was the reason I wasn't living a healthy lifestyle.

Now, I may not be a great role model in this case as I have only been consistently working out for 3.5 weeks, but I actually think something has clicked this time and I officially have the excercise bug. I get up 30 minutes earlier than I normally would, sneak downstairs and do the 30 Day Shred - it's 20-25 minutes. My son is still in bed. I am still getting a decent amount of sleep at night and I have now found a way to take care of myself. No more excuses...
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There are no excuses. You just have to do it. I am a 47 year old mother of three adults and a ten year old. When I get home from work (40hrs) after a 30 minute commute I cook dinner, clean up, help my son with his home work, get him ready for bed and down by 9. Then i work out between 30 minutes and an hour. Sometimes I'm so tired I just don't want to do it but I drag myself down and you know what. I feel awesome after. You will too!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am 34, mother of 2, ages 7 (girl) and almost 13 (boy). I also work a Full Time 40 hour job and my husband works out of town Monday thru Friday, so I am a single mother Monday thru Friday. If I am not feeling too exhausted in the evenings, I will either walk or play the Wii Just Dance (huge calorie burner and FUN) WITH my kids. It makes working out a lot easier to have them join you. If they do not want to work out with me I may put in an exercise DVD and work out anyway.

In about a month my sons sports will start again and then I will be struggling to exercise with all of the running I will be doing. We live in the country so I have to drive them anywhere they need to go. It is not easy. I think my plan will be to try to go to the HS track and walk while he is at practice, I will just have to make my daughter go with me and she can either play or walk with me.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I get up at 5am M-F to workout before the rest of the house gets up. It's not an option for me. I'm a priority and if I don't make time for myself, it's because I'm too busy making excuses. You can do it!!! :happy: