Ugh! I'm sorry, but I don't think I can do this!...

Options
I have not been getting enough protein in my diet no matter what I do. I love cottage cheese, yogurt, cheddar cheese and steak, but somehow I still come up short on protein. I decided I was going to try Pure Protein whey powder. I mixed the two scoops up in a blender with 8 oz 1% milk and 3 ice cubes. Well, the first sip or two wasn't bad, but this stuff seems to be getting thicker as it sits. As for the flavor, all I can say is YUCK!

This isn't going to work for me.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can pretty this stuff up to be more edible?

Replies

• salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie every morning for breakfast. I am unable to tolerate the taste or texture of unflavored protein powders. However, I do enjoy orange creame, choc., choc/peanut butter, vanilla with some things, mocha, banana and my favorite is strawberry.
    There are a TON of flavors, brands, types of protein powders out there. I've learned a lot from www.proteinpow.com.

Best of luck!
    Sal
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar every morning - Premier Protein from Costco. They have 30 grams of protein per bar, just under 300 calories and aren't bad-tasting. I mean, they're not so good that I'm tempted to eat the whole box or anything, but they're a million times less disgusting than the powders I've tried. I think they end up being cheaper, too. About $1 a bar.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Try GNC--they have a variety of "flavors" that make the shakes more tolerable and MOST are really good :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most people have to try a few brands before settling on one they really like.

Is yours flavoured or unflavoured?

If its plain try adding cocoa or berries to flavour and maybe some stevia to sweeten if needed.

If it's flavoured I sometimes find them of overpowering and end up mixing them half and half with unflavoured whey.

Also, try using just one scoop at a time until you are more used to the flavour.
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    Blend in some PB2 or a packet of sugar free jello powder.
    You'll end up with Protein Fluff which is yumm-o!
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1 Cup Vanilla Almond Milk
    1 cup Frozen Fruit
    1 scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder

Blend well.

Can't even taste the protein powder. You could use fresh fruit and a little ice instead of frozen.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The milk and the ice are making it super thick. Try mixing it with water and ice. Or even just water.
    OR, if you mix it with milk, do only one scoop and don't blend it, just shake it up really good.
  • Me48Plus2
    Me48Plus2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Yogurt is a good one - nuts, cheese, chicken, seafood, protein bars (tons of them out th ere) There's alot of choices when it comes to protein. But remember, unless you need all that protein for muscle repair, you may be trying to get more protein when it's not really needed.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    This stuff is flavored. It's frosted chocolate, or something like that. The taste itself isn't horrible, I think it's the thickness and texture. I might try water next time. Or just half a serving.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You can also try adding egg whites to regular smoothies instead of using protein powder. I have tried one of the Chocolate whey protein powders from Optimum Nutrition, and I don't think that it tastes bad, especially when I add a ripe banana to it. But, I also only use half of the amount that it says is one serving.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I really like my EAS Lean 15 in Chocolate Fudge. Every morning, I blend black coffee, almond milk, and two scoops of my protein powder. Sometimes I add ice for a frappe :) It gets soooo frothy and is just as good, actually better (and cheaper! and healthier!) then the sugary-high calorie drinks I used to love from Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts :) Plus its 17 grams of protein and only 160 calories! :drinker:

ETA: Even better if you get the flavored coffee, like the hazelnut or the caramel, etc. doesnt add any calories but you get that added coffee house flavor
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Once you get past the gag reflex all sorts of food options become available...
  • Holli1230
    Holli1230 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I was the same way. I now have a protein smoothie for breakfast. I use a Greek yogurt, a scoop of whey protein and some fruit (sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen) ice and a little water. Blend away! Tastes great and about 200-250 calories depending of type of protein powder & amount of fruit used.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Once you get past the gag reflex all sorts of food options become available...

This just made me laugh hard.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I buy a different brand but it's all natural and unflavored. I mix it with water, ice and a little Crystal Light Pure (mixed berry is my favorite.) I shake it up really well in my Blender Bottle. Can't even taste the protein powder.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    Blend in some PB2 or a packet of sugar free jello powder.
    You'll end up with Protein Fluff which is yumm-o!

What is PB2?

I have a few protein bars, but the best ones I can find only have 14g protein in them. I'll check out the ones from Costco. Even with that, i'm still falling short of my 103g per day goal. I love dairy and meat, I just can't quite make it.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hey its true!!!!!!!!!! Just cause you don't like the taste of tumeric don't mean it can't be good in sugar free lime jello B-) Oh wait...
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There are literally hundreds of brands of protein powder. Many companies will send you free flavor samples if you just emial them. I am certain you can find one you like.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It could be the brand/flavor.

You can get samples here (I love the choc peanut butter cup flavor):
    http://www.truscience.com/samples.html
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Zero carb Isopure. Unflavored or Vanilla. Very little going on with those taste wise. You pretty much only taste what you add to them.