6'4", 224, am I good weight?

Options
Hi, I'm Travis. In the summer of 2011, I weighed over 420 pounds. Not even two years later, I am down to nearly 220 pounds. People say I look so skinny and whatnot. I have some loose skin, it's not terrible though. Some of weight loss was from the right way and the bad way. My face is very thin, my arms are slender and kinda toned, and my legs are slim and athletic.

Am I a good weight though? This site says I should get down to 185. And I kinda disagree with that. I wanna get down to 200. And I am, quite fast I will add. I have heard many people say that the BMI calculator isn't reliable with those over six feet tall.

I am pushing a size 34 in waist. I've gone down 22 pant sizes so far. My hip bones are clearly visible and my ribs stick out, especially when I lay down. I do a lot of cardio. Five to six times a week for over 2 hours per time. A mixture of running and brisk walking. I drink only water and diet soda. With green tea in there sometimes.

What do you guys think though?

Replies

• BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I will only tell you that I am a 6'3" guy and I have in my adult life weighed as little as 185 and recently as high as 396. I will tell you that when I was 185 I did not feel right at all but that may be because I was always a big guy. I played offensive line when I played football so you know I must have been big. I know that I felt very good at 225 and could have stayed at that weight and been very happy. Like you I had hip bones sticking out and other features that made me look pretty thin at 225. So I am just going to say that it is all up to you. If you feel good there then that is where I would stay. I personally know that I will be happy before I even get to 225.

Edit to add that if I was you I would add more weight resistance to your routine. Tone up as it will raise your metabolism and just plain make you look better.
  • TravisH18
    Options
    Thank you. What do you think about the BMI thing though? And with my diet, I'm sure I'll get down to 200 or even lower within a couple months. The loose skin gets better every month and I drink a lot of water. My stomach gets flatter and it"s not really a 'gut' amymore. Just loose. I'm seeking advice is all.
  • TravisH18
    Options
    I do push ups, sit ups, and some other stretching excercises. I don't wanna bulk up. I just want a toned and lean body. I'm 85% there .
  • BigAndTallSection
    Options
    And again I can only speak for me and tell you that so far as I am concerned the BMI was never that good of an indicator for me. My doctor didn't even bat an eyelash at me so far as weight was concerned when I was at 225. In fact to be honest I don't recall the doctor saying anything to me about weight until I was a little over 250. That was in one ear and out the other as I still felt very good at that weight.

Now I am 20 years older and I don't think that I have half the muscle that I did then so I don't think 250 would cut it this time. 225 I still think would though. Plus as I get into better shape I do plan to try to add back some of my old muscle.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    what is your body composition?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    BMI is unreliable

get your body fat percentage measured, and go by that. There are lots of people who have overweight (or in a few cases even obese) BMIs who have a healthy body fat percentage. There are also people who have healthy BMIs but obese body fat percentages. Body fat percentage measures how much fat your body is carrying. BMI is a very rough estimate based only on weight and height and does not take body composition into account.
  • TravisH18
    Options
    How do you get it measured? And thank you everyone for the help! Losing over 200 in under two years has made my life do a complete 180.
  • BigAndTallSection
    Options
    Your best bet is to get your doctor to order the test, IMO. There are more than one way to do it but the only way that I truly trust is when they use a tank full of water to measure your body fat. The calibers are used much more often as they pinch and measure the fat but I don't think that test is as reliable as the dunk test.
  • squirtgunsablzn
    Options
    i wouldnt focus on the weight number, but on better to be lean at 200 then be skinnyfat at 185
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Honestly Travis I think you are a close to a good weight.
    I am 6'4" and currently 219. My goal is to end up in the 210-215 range but I am pretty happy with were I am now and think it is a healthy weight. BMI says I am overweight but I say BS. Although I'm sure I can still bring myself to be a leaner me.

=)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    How do you get it measured? And thank you everyone for the help! Losing over 200 in under two years has made my life do a complete 180.

for info about body fat percentage, look for Leigh Peele's blog, she has a free download with a lot of info about different methods of measuring it, plus how reliable they are. Use that info to decide which method(s) would be best for you, and it's usually a good idea to get it measured several different ways.
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As a woman with a husband that is 6'4 and 275, I will say that he was at his best at 225 or so. Thats when he both looked the best and felt the best as well. Congratulations on all your hard work. That is certainly something to be proud of.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

for info about body fat percentage, look for Leigh Peele's blog, she has a free download with a lot of info about different methods of measuring it, plus how reliable they are. Use that info to decide which method(s) would be best for you, and it's usually a good idea to get it measured several different ways.

Try http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/ . Cheaper and much more convenient than a dunk test, the the answer should be close enough.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Get your body fat percentage checked out. This will be a better indicator of your health than BMI.
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Gosh I'm only 5ft 2inches
  • moojiminder
    Options
    Hi. I wouldn't go by the BMI. The BMI does not take into account muscle mass. I am a woman who competed in bodybuilding (clearly not now) but I won a silver medal so I feel I have a bit to contribute on this. I weighed 145 at that time I was so skinny my face was completely sunken in and I was dizzy all the time and weak. At that weight the BMI posted me at 24.1 and overweight is 25 AND I had a fat percentage of 9 percent. So, I would trust your body more than the BMI. Great job by the way!!
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is a good weight, for your age.

My favorite weight was in HS Wrestling was 192 @ 5' 10." I'm 6" 2" now and got as high as 262 in 1999 (lifting and eating all the time).

I am trying to avoid back surgery, so today's goals are walking, lifting and eating down to 192 lbs.

Keep at it. Its for life.
  • TravisH18
    Options
    I really appreciate it. I just wanna be lean or slim. I am gonna stick with getting down to 200.

All of you make great points and I appreciate the warm comments.