Advice on not giving in to cravings?

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to stop your cravings for unhealthy foods?!

Xoxo

Replies

• LittleDaisyWaisy
    Options
    Graze.com

I get all my snacks from them and it is perfect portion size ;)
  • MrsMeisner
    MrsMeisner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that everybody handles it a little differently. Some people can have just a little bit and beat their craving that way. I for one am generally an all or nothing kind of person. I can't just have a little so it's better for me to have none. For my sugar cravings I've started to have 1 piece of 90% cocoa at night. It's bitter enough that I don't want to have more than one but sweet enough that it satisfies my sugar craving.

Also, at home and at work I just don't have the tempting stuff near me. If it's there, I'm going to eat it, so it's just easier when it's not there. Generally I crave all the bad stuff and I just try and tell myself that I don't NEED it. It's not going to do anything good for me and will only make me feel bad after I eat it. I also plan and log my meals ahead of time so I know that there's really no wiggle room for whatever it is I'm craving. Planning for me has been one of the best tools to keep me on track. Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Oh . . . foods only huh?
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a problem as well, once I start - that I can't stop
    However, I recently discovered that yogurt on top of a graham cracker, or a little bit of icecream or coffee with creamer helps take off the edge...
    Fruit in water helps as well
    Or I exercise, then eat protein and find that the craving is gone!
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    Drink water. Invest in some sugar free gum (I recommend Extra Dessert Delights!).
  • melishhha
    melishhha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find some really cute motivational picture and quotes on tumblr, print them out, and hang them up around my apartment. You can put them on the fridge or around your room--wherever you'll see them. But I make sure they're important to me, otherwise they're useless. When I crave something, I look at the print-outs and remind myself how hard I've worked and what I'm fighting for. It motivates me to stay away from the bad foods I crave.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Graze.com

I looked it up:

Can I join graze without an invitation code?

Unfortunately not...Graze is currently invite only so we can concentrate on making sure every box is perfect.

How do I get an invitation code?

The best way of getting hold of an invitation code is from an existing graze member. They have a limited number of invitations, which they can hand out to non-members so they can enjoy graze too!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Depends... what's your current diet like? Open your diary.
    One surprisingly common possibility is that you're simply hungry due to a large calorie deficit.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on how to stop your cravings for unhealthy foods?!

Xoxo

I drink tea, or a glass of cold water with a tb of Braggs vinegar (apple cider with the "mother", can be found at Whole Foods). Eat an apple or orange. Eat cheerios mixed with a few goldfish for salty cravings, warmed applesauce with cinnamon. Try not to have "bad" snacks around the house.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive my self of anything I want. I just have small portions and the craving goes away. Like today I wanted a snickers so i had a snack size bar and now I'm good.

Not everyone can work that way so you have to find similar but healthy things to replace them. Fruit will often satisfy a sugar craving. Some microwave popcorn can take care of salt or crunchy cravings. I like Jolly time 100 calorie packs. Fiber One has great 90 calorie Fudge Brownies. Lots of things come in 100 calorie packs now so have some around for the tough times. Eat them slowly and savor each bite.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is great for chocolate cravings, as are tootsie rolls.

I like air popped popcorn for crunchy/salty cravings.

Make sure you're eating a balanced diet - I'm most likely to get cravings when I haven't gotten enough of either fat, protein or carbs.
  • hellokittyykat
    hellokittyykat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Graze.com

I want to try it out! Unfortunately I know no one who is using this website. :(
  • jennSagain
    Options
    I think if you eat enough of the good stuff (whole plant foods), the cravings do start to go away