Husband on board ... with MOST of my changes.

Options
Ok so my husband and I went out to eat for lunch yesterday to Chili's because we don't go out to restaurants pretty much ever any more, and I was able to walk out eating only 610 cals anyway so I don't really feel like I was cheating in any way but that's not the reason for this post.

During our meal we were looking at the kid's menu on the coloring paper in front of my son. I was mentioning how it was nice they have healthy options for kids too like the grilled chicken platter or the grilled chicken sandwich and I pointed to the meals that I would NOT let my son eat when he was older (chicken crispers, dripping with grease and french fries?) I explained to my husband about how my bad eating habits started young because I was under the impression that this kind of lunch was your normal lunch, a whopper and fries was a normal lunch, a 2 piece fried chicken meal at popeyes was a normal lunch. I want to teach my son healthy eating habits from day one (he's 10.5 months old now.) My husband completely disagrees with me. He says that when we go out to eat our son should be able to eat whatever he wants and enjoys and it's cruel to not allow my son to eat the junk that kids like.

How do we find a middle ground? I mean I understand having some ice cream after dinner when you go out for a special occasion but I don't want my son to think that just because there is a protein, a veggie, and a carb on a plate that it means it's a nutritious meal. I have time to convince my husband but I guess I need to figure out another approach because my previous approach didn't work so well.

I should mention that my husband absolutely loves that I cook healthy now, he says it's easier for him to lose weight too because he doesn't have to think about anything and I do it all for him. It's just the letting our child eat whatever he wants at a restaurant thing that we disagree on.

Replies

• Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have shared custody of my 9 year old son and so I struggle with his Dad feeding him too much crap. I think that it is a balance. You don't necessarily want your son to never have junk food. I feel that my Mom took it too far when I was a kid and then I would sneak off and eat junk. I think that it is important to teach your child about health and nutrition and that it is ok to have some of these things as an occasional treat but that most of the time there are better options. If you all are not eating out in restaurants often then it should be ok for your son to have fries, but maybe with a grilled chicken sandwich. It is nice that there are more healthy options at restaurants for kids now so that makes it easier to teach them how to eat healthy, even when out for dinner.
  • ashasm
    ashasm Posts: 35
    Options
    I feel you there, My parents were the same way with me (macdonalds, mr. noodles, kraft dinner, greasy french fries, chicken fingers, hot dogs, whatever!) And I was overweight my entire life & I definetly think because of it, I probably had a lower version of a childhood: Couldn't run for hours with my healthy friends; got tired bike-riding, etc.

In the future if I have children I definetly do NOT want them eating MACDONALDS.. or anything of the sort. I wouldn't want them to go through what me and every other overweight child has gone through.
  • cynditoney
    cynditoney Posts: 90
    Options
    If you are going out extremely rarely, you are in charge of his eating most of the time, making meals at home. Every once in a while when you go out, easing up would not be horrible- offer your son a choice when he is old enough to choose, of a healthy option choice with the "junk" food. A hamburger from Burger King and apple slices.... Your son is already ahead of the game with you being concerned about his eating habits already.... :flowerforyou:
  • tjptaylor
    tjptaylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts -- when my daugher was little (she is now 7) at home there was always healthy food choices. Always a veggie with dinner, lots of fruit, lean meats ect. As she grew she did have her phases where she would ONLY eat mac and cheese or chicken nuggets. I was able to get healthier versions of these foods, but still had a veggie on her plate and fruit for snacks. She grew up with these being "normal foods" in our house. Desserts could be healthy or ice cream, cookies ect.

We do go out to dinner 1 night a week. She gets what she wants -- it may not be the best choice, but its one meal a week. She is very active and thankfully is not heavy for her age - a bit on the skinny side.

I think if you keep educating him on healthy eating at home, you'll set a good foundation. He may end up choose some healthier things but if he doesn't its not a constant. My daugher actually perfers mashed potatos to french fries! Or the apples or fruit from Mc Donalds or BK when we do go there (very rare).

HTH
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I struggled with weight my whole life. I agree with what you are saying about teaching your son about healthy choices. For me, 2 pieces of chicken or 2 pork chops was a normal portion. Now, I only cook 1 porkchop a person and there are 3 or 4 veggies to go with it. 2nds have to be veggies. BUT Ialso agree with your hubby. If you refuse to let him have the junk occasionally, he will want it even more. Give him choices and talk to him about why this is a better choice than that. I have 4 children. The oldest is 15. They have watched my weight loss journey and life time of struggling. I talk to them about healthy choices. At 2 or 3, they wanted the chicken nuggets. Now, at 15, she rarely chooses them. She prefers grilled chicken and salads becasue that is what I always fed her. She has the occasional hamburger. I'll be honest, I worry more about portions than about what they eat. Any fast food is a very rare treat and Mom is eating the salad so they know the right choices. I guess what I am taking forever to say is that more is caught than taught. He is learning his healthy habits by WATCHING you eat. Make sure you give him lots of fruits and veggies so he develops a taste for them. As he gets older, you will see him making a lot of good choices along with a few bad choices. Good Luck!!! BTW, NOT a fan of the clean your plate club. I had a knock down drag out with my father-in-law about that one!! I won, of course! LOL
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Thanks guys, all very sound advice! I guess if I keep providing healthy at home (we do mac n cheese but it's organic and only 1 serving) then eventually he will want healthy because that's what he's used to. And I understand how he will see me making the right choices... but my husband will choose the grease plate when we eat out every single time lol, so hopefully he doesn't go for the "I want to be more like daddy route!"
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    We let the kids have some junk as a reward, not as regular food they eat just because they're kids. When we go out they have juices or teas, no sodas and usually grilled chicken, sometimes hamburgers with the veggies and fruit instead of fries. If the kids have a good week at school or get an award we may let them have their fries.

At home we always eat very healthy but I do admit they do eat chicken nuggets made from white meat chicken about twice a month at home.

I think for kids, it's very important they learn how it eat well, but if you deny them too much when they reach high school when they make their own choices, they may over indulge in the "forbidden foods."
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    We AIM for the 20 80 rule. 80 % of the time we make healthy choices 20% we indulge. You are managing this well already if you mostly eat in and prepare healthy options. So you have to decide if your child's meal is a 20% or an 80% time. But the one thing that is good about avoiding the fries and crap is that your child won't be as prone to developing the desire for them later. There is scientific proof that deepfried foods trigger an addictive aspect to our brain. Good for you for thwarting that early. I always cart a small container of veggies like steamed brocolli to add to their meal so that the french fries are somewhat erased. Restaurants are cool with this if I am ordering any way and they rarely have my children's fave veg ( which is broc. if you can imagine)
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    We let the kids have some junk as a reward, not as regular food they eat just because they're kids. When we go out they have juices or teas, no sodas and usually grilled chicken, sometimes hamburgers with the veggies and fruit instead of fries. If the kids have a good week at school or get an award we may let them have their fries.

At home we always eat very healthy but I do admit they do eat chicken nuggets made from white meat chicken about twice a month at home.

I think for kids, it's very important they learn how it eat well, but if you deny them too much when they reach high school when they make their own choices, they may over indulge in the "forbidden foods."

I guess I don't really want to forbid anything but I want to be able to have that compromise of veggies with the burger or grilled chicken with the fries. I don't want him to think the whole plate of carbs deep fried is okie dokie.

@Spob - I like that 80-20 rule! My son hasn't really taken to broccoli yet but I'm hoping he will as I serve it as a side twice a week with our dinners. My niece is 2 years old and she LIVES for broccoli. My husband is a giant kid and his favorite veggie is broccoli too so I believe it! Now if only I could get my husband to like brussel sprouts :).
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Bumped to reply when I have more time...
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have one question. Is your husband overweight? If he is, he should be more understanding to your point of view. If not, then he'll never understand. I think you're doing the right thing. I like the 80/20 thing another poster mentioned.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I know I grew up always eating craplike mcdonalds and fast food involving fried chicken alot. It was a common meal throughout the week. My favorite was always the bk tendercrisp sandwich with fries. (800 cal just for the sandwich. D: ) And I was 180lbs at 15. I have lost 70lbs over the year by cutting out so much fast food and high calorie laden swwets my dad was always bringing home for us. I do agree with you that you shouldn't let him grow up thinking of them as normal meals that are fine to have all the time. I do think maybe he should be allowed it when y'all go out if its not often so long as you make sure he knows its a 'treat' or special occasion and is not healthy or anything he should be having often. I don't thik kids should be forced to eat healthy all the time. They should be able to have the kid favorites every once in a while. I know I am only 18 and still pretty close to being a kid myself. :) just my take on things.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go with everything in moderation... for the entire family. My husband, who doesn't have as much of a weight problem as I do, doesn't always provide the best example of eating healthy! But I think we have to be doing something right... my 4 year old told us Saturday (after being fed a snowcone, ice cream and something else by my husband while I wasn't around), "Mommy, I think I've had enough sugar today". :) Though he *did* eat some more later... it was not a typical day, we were at a festival-type thing. Plus I have to share credit for that statement with a Super Why episode.

I try to help him make good choices. For example, at McDonald's he gets chicken nuggets with apple dippers and chocolate milk or a soft drink (sweet tea or Hi-C orange). If he chooses fries (which he hardly ever does) he has to have regular milk. He *always* chooses oranges with nuggets at Wendy's. At other types of restaurants, I offer him most choices, and he makes good choices most of the time. I think he even chose broccoli once (he likes broccoli!).

I think that kids are going to copy what they see. If you model healthy eating and offer healthy snacks at home, he will be more likely to choose those away from home. If you forbid something he'll just want to eat in anyway.

Kids love to help cook too! Even 2 year olds can help stir. I know my little boy is much more likely to eat something if he helped make it. He is also learning what fruits and veggies look like before they are cooked and how to cook them. As he gets older I hope we'll talk more about why I make the choices I do in buying groceries... for now I just love exposing him to a variety of fresh foods. :)

What really bugs me is when restaurants assume kids just want to eat junk. We get huge surprised looks when my little boy asks for a baked potato instead of fries, or happily eats fruit instead of fries, or even when I'm reading off the menu too him and offering healthy options that are *on the menu*!

A complete aside from your post... I'm all for offering healthy options from adults plates for a few years yet! We just started ordering kids meals (except for fast food) in the last year or so. Restaurants don't mind if little ones get an extra plate and there is certainly plenty to share! I think that helped in getting him to like more foods too. :) I still offer a bite of what I'm eating if it is something new to him (though I have to admit the last thing I offered was fried okra...)
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    I have one question. Is your husband overweight? If he is, he should be more understanding to your point of view. If not, then he'll never understand. I think you're doing the right thing. I like the 80/20 thing another poster mentioned.

He has never been obese as I am clinically defined but he has been overweight yes, I think his highest was 205lbs but he's down to healthy weight in my opinion at 176lbs and 5'10". He has some areas he's still trying to slim down but just glancing at him you'd not know it,no. He's in the military and at this point in time is required to do PT 4 times a week during his work day. He is completely on board with the extreme rarity of fast food for this household but sit down restaurant food is where he disagrees.
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    I'm trying to go with everything in moderation... for the entire family. My husband, who doesn't have as much of a weight problem as I do, doesn't always provide the best example of eating healthy! But I think we have to be doing something right... my 4 year old told us Saturday (after being fed a snowcone, ice cream and something else by my husband while I wasn't around), "Mommy, I think I've had enough sugar today". :) Though he *did* eat some more later... it was not a typical day, we were at a festival-type thing. Plus I have to share credit for that statement with a Super Why episode.

I try to help him make good choices. For example, at McDonald's he gets chicken nuggets with apple dippers and chocolate milk or a soft drink (sweet tea or Hi-C orange). If he chooses fries (which he hardly ever does) he has to have regular milk. He *always* chooses oranges with nuggets at Wendy's. At other types of restaurants, I offer him most choices, and he makes good choices most of the time. I think he even chose broccoli once (he likes broccoli!).

Lol I love the Super Why too much sugar statement. I do like the idea of exchanges, if you get fries you have to have milk to drink type thing. I'm not rigid or anything I really just didn't want him eating a plate of grease (like the chicken crispers and fries... If you squeeze a chili's chicken crisper you can probably get an ounce of grease on your plate no problem) and my husband disagreed. I'm sure we'll find a middle ground with the exchange thing or 80/20 thing. All very good ideas!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I have three girls. 1 is still at home. I do all the cooking. When my youngest was around 10, I started cooking with her. letting her help. As my menus have evolved to the healthier side, she has seen and embraced some of them. Just recently, since I do the shopping as well, I started taking her with me. At first it was just fun shared time together. We go shoppping twice a month and all of the sudden she has started clipping coupons, making better choices for snacks and really getting into it.

I guess my point is that it's easier to subtly lead them by example to make the right choices. She's 16 yrs old and still wants a Blizzard now and again; still throws a frozen pizza in the oven on occasion; still makes runs to Coldstone when hthe mood strikes her and her friends, but she's making good choices as well. I don't tell her what to eat, but present some better choices.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    IMHO the most important thing Re: kids and eating is to never ever ever do what our parents did to us. "Clean your plate" is practically child abuse. Never ever ever make a kid eat something he doesn't want to eat.

To this day I struggle with this. Throwing away food just seems wrong, 'cause of the way I was brought up. I'm sure it played a role in the poor eating habits that made me get me so heavy in the first place.

Stop eating when you're satisfied - there is no need to continue eating 'til you're full. Greatest piece of wisdom I ever got, and I still struggle to stick with it. Pass that on to the youngsters and a lot of the other stuff will be NP.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    He is completely on board with the extreme rarity of fast food for this household but sit down restaurant food is where he disagrees.

Sounds like he's trying to justify the foods HE eats at restaurants, not your child. Your child is just a substitute for himself in this scenario. If he's against burger and fries from one place, why not the other? They're made just as unhealthy. And if he's on board with eating healthy and limiting fast food, a restaurant does not "change the rules," so to speak.
    I don't think his weight determines his perspective though. It is possible for someone who's never "struggled" with their weight to sympathize (not empathize) with those who do.
    But like the others have said, control the food intake at home and a rare splurge at Chili's isn't going to doom him.