Lose 30 pounds in 3 months?

Im 18, 5'4, and currently weigh 141 pounds. I've already lost around 7 pounds in a month. I'm going on a vacation in about 3 months. I'd like to be around 110 by then, maybe a little less. It's more about the lean and muscular work, so I really just need to be muscular. Is this possible to do in 3 months? What types of excersise should I do? Are there any tips out there? I'm new to this, as you may have guessed, so any info would be appreciated! Thanks so much I dont even know how to start this adventure and I would love some inspiration from all of you!

<3 Kristen

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    30lbs in 3 months at your size is far too high of a goal to strive for.

Strive for 1lb per week and no more. When you get to about 15lbs left strive for 0.5lbs per week.

Don't try to take it off too quickly. You didn't gain it over night so don't expect it to come off quickly. Slower weight loss is best. Fast weight loss increases the amount of muscle you lose.

Just focus on doing things right. Eat at a proper deficit and get exercise in. Confidence on your trip will be much better than a few lbs lost.
  • kstry1
    kstry1 Posts: 3
    What to you mean "at my size"?
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Sorry hun, but most people around here will tell you that losing 30 pounds in 3 months may be possible - not likely, but possible - but it is extremely unhealthy. A more reasonable goal is something like one or two pounds a week, and at your size even two pounds a week is pushing it. So realistically, in three months you might expect to lose something like 12-20lbs if you really work at it and are eating a healthy and reasonable diet of TDEE -20%. But that doesn't mean you can't look amazing in three months! Start doing some heavy lifting and even if you're not 110, you'll still look great for your vacation. :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    30 pounds in 3 months is only reasonable if you are starting out extremely overweight. For someone of your weight, it's an unhealthy goal.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Nope...

Didn't you post this before?
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member

As I understand it, the less weight you have to lose, the longer it can take to lose it. Since you're 5'4" (my height :) and only weigh 141, your body will probably resist too much weight loss.

However, you can definitely improve your muscle tone! I'm currently at 158 lbs and have been doing weight training three times a week since the beginning of January. I have lost a few inches and noticed more muscle tone. I still have a good layer of subcutaenous adipose (yay for fat! :) covering my magnificent new muscle tone, but you probably would have greater results since (I'm assuming) you have less body fat overall, based on your weight.
  • kstry1
    kstry1 Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone. Is there any certain type of excercise that will help?
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Thanks everyone. Is there any certain type of excercise that will help?

Heavy lifting heavy lifting heavy lifting! The more muscle you build, the better you'll look. :) Don't be afraid of "bulking" - go look in the sucess stories and you can see how amazing so many women look after doing heavy lifting for a while.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member

I mean, you are smaller already. You don't have a lot to lose and therefore you will lose it much much slower than someone who has 100lbs to lose. If you had a lot of weight to lose you could lose 30lbs in 3 months. But when you want to lose 30lbs total... it's too much weight to lose in such a short period of time.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    30lbs in 3 months at your size is far too high of a goal to strive for.

Strive for 1lb per week and no more. When you get to about 15lbs left strive for 0.5lbs per week.

Don't try to take it off too quickly. You didn't gain it over night so don't expect it to come off quickly. Slower weight loss is best. Fast weight loss increases the amount of muscle you lose.

Just focus on doing things right. Eat at a proper deficit and get exercise in. Confidence on your trip will be much better than a few lbs lost.

^^^This