I'm really confused

Options
I'm really confused about my body image and I don't know what to think about it anymore and I'm kinda having a breakdown about it so don't know what to say so will some of you please please look at my profile, diary is open, and point me in the right direction, PLEASE?

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Diary is closed
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Right direction of what? You say in your profile that you don't want to be fat anymore, you want to be skinny but from what I can see, you aren't fat.

Body image is different to how much you weigh. If you don't feel good about yourself it isn't going to matter how much weight you lose. You need to work on loving yourself and liking what you see. I know that is easier said than done but I think it's more about how you feel about yourself than getting a thigh gap and being skinny...
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

Perhaps instead of trying to lose weight (I am 5'5" and would give ANYTHING to be even 30lbs heavier than you are right now!) perhaps you should work on toning your muscles by doing some lifting.

I think lifting weights would be much more beneficial to you than cardio because I think you would do better sculpting what you have rather than trying to lose weight.

Just my suggestion anyways. It is worth looking into at least.

And as for the "thigh-gap" thing... If you never had one, you'll never get one. And at your height and weight, you would have one if that is how your body was built.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused about my body image and I don't know what to think about it anymore and I'm kinda having a breakdown about it so don't know what to say so will some of you please please look at my profile, diary is open, and point me in the right direction, PLEASE?

Right now your diary actually isn't open to the public. By your stats, though, you aren't overweight at all. Your goal would put you on the edge of being under what's considered healthy. What is your frame size like?
  • javajinny
    javajinny Posts: 78
    Options
    In reading your profile, I have to agree with you: you are confused. You already are skinny if your cheek and jaw bones are any indication. I think you're just at a hard age; most of the teen years are fraught with body image issues and bouts of depression. I'm surprised half of us make it out of our teens. And while 18 and 19 aren't as "teenager-y" as 15 and 16, you'll be surprised later in life how still very much like your 16 year-old self your 18 and 19 year-old self was.

I had much the same problems at your age (only I really was fat, like a size 18, 20, 22). You just have to learn to love yourself and be happy with your body. No one can give that to you; you have to find it in yourself. It took me years. I only really started loving myself around 29ish (and at 32 I still have bouts of the same old emotional junk, just less and less).

You're pretty. You seem nice, and I bet you're smart and funny. Choose to focus on your good qualities, and stop the negative self-talk. You wouldn't let someone talk to a friend the way you talk to yourself (you know, the "I'm fat, I'm ugly" crap that goes on in our heads; negative self-talk) so don't put up with it from yourself either.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    Body is how you view and feel about yourself. Not what you actually are. Try positive self talk. Stand in front of the mirror every day and tell yourself 3 positive things, heck, do it twice a day. Eventually, you'll start to believe those things. When terrible thoughts sneak in your head, shoo them away.
  • pandagirlshonerd
    pandagirlshonerd Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I opened my diary to the public, so if you want to have a look and give me more pointers, please do
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    132lbs for your height is not fat.

I see you want a thigh gap, collar bones etc, why? What difference will those make?
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I really think you should be eating more - and drinking more water.
  • nik2710
    nik2710 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Need to eat more calories.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Noticed something you need to be careful about:

"I want a thigh gap."
    "I want collar bones. "

*Sometimes* these kinds of things are essentially pushed on young people as 'the look' or the 'must have' or whatever, but often it leads to eating disorders and unhealthy habits. Do not fall into this trap.

Be HEALTHY. Be SAFE.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • HugzNKissez89
    Options
    You are beautiful. Many women would kill to be you.
  • pandagirlshonerd
    pandagirlshonerd Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Right now your diary actually isn't open to the public. By your stats, though, you aren't overweight at all. Your goal would put you on the edge of being under what's considered healthy. What is your frame size like?

I'm a size ten (Ireland) so I don't really know what my bone structure is, other than slightly curvy I guess?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    You are the same height as me, you weigh less than me, and you think you are fat. That's your problem.

You are also pretty consistently undereating.

Your goal is to "be able to look at myself and be happy with my body and how it looks instead of shying away from the mirror ." That is something you will have to work on in your head, not by starving yourself.

Eat more. Exercise more.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think that the foods that you eat are good foods, but you just need to eat more of it! Try and get to your daily goal! You can still lose a little weight that way, but you won't be under eating. Maybe not getting enough to eat is making you feel down?
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    thigh gaps are always a good goal
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Okay so the first that caught my eye in your diary is "Things I shouldn't Have Eaten". I don't think guilt tripping yourself about having a couple of treats is a very healthy approach. And girl, after seeing your stats, you are not fat at all. And even if you were, I would still encourage you to love yourself and focus on all the positive things about you while working toward a healthier weight. Trust me, there is no connection between body image and the number on the scale. I have a lot of friends who are big girls and who are much happier with themselves than some of my thinner friends. Do this (i.e healthy eating, exercising etc) because you love your body and want to take care of it, not because you hate the way it looks. You are much more likely to stick with this if you have the right attitude :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You are the same height as me, you weigh less than me, and you think you are fat. That's your problem.

You are also pretty consistently undereating.

Your goal is to "be able to look at myself and be happy with my body and how it looks instead of shying away from the mirror ." That is something you will have to work on in your head, not by starving yourself.

Eat more. Exercise more.

THIS.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    thigh gaps are always a good goal

Is that what you're aiming for?