Interval running

Options
Hi everyone. Lately I've been reading a lot about the benefits of interval training. Last week I started to try and incorporate it, I would run/sprint on the treadmill for a minute and do a brisk walk cool down for 2 minutes, repeating for about 25 minutes. Last week I didn't lose anything, but my weigh in day is tomorrow and I swear my belly fat has gone down--can't wait to weigh in! Has anyone else had success adding in intervals to their work outs? I'd love to hear any advice or success stories!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Sure, intervals are a GREAT training method. But just remember, the first couple of weeks of a new routine, you may not lose anything, the body needs time to adjust, and muscles that aren't used to a training routine will hold a little extra water, canceling out weight loss on many occasions. that doesn't mean you didn't lose fat, it just means your body is adjusting, which is always a good thing!
  • mollypcv
    mollypcv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that reminder! but I've been working out pretty hard for a couple months, I think changing it up a bit like this is what my body needed...well that and actually watching what I eat haha.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello,
    I do lots of interval training, it really helps make running more interesting and I have noticed improvements in my speed and stamina. Today after building up to it over a decent amount of time, I started jogging a minute and then running fast on a decent size incline for a minute for the first time ever, and I was amazed at how quickly my heart rate slowed on the jogging even though I was not walking, so definitely a big change in fitness.
    I also do interval training on a bike and on the rowing machine, this is just my experience but I also find that I really sweat more doing intervals so am sure it is much harder work for the body.
    I am right at the end of my weight loss and over the past 8 weeks or so have only lost 1.5kg, however I've lost 6 inches (from thighs, arms, waist and hips) and am sure interval training has played a big part.
    Good luck to you with it and really good to read the advice about the body still losing fat even when the scales are not changing.
    Best wishes

Gail
  • mollypcv
    Options
    I should have added that last week I lost no actual pounds by I did lose 2.5% of my body fat :) I'll get my measurements done tonight too!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I should have added that last week I lost no actual pounds by I did lose 2.5% of my body fat :) I'll get my measurements done tonight too!

you lost 2.5% body fat in a week? That's um.... that's almost super human. Assuming that you really only have 16 lbs to lose total (as it says on your profile), I'd say that's probably over a lot longer period than a week.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Hi everyone. Lately I've been reading a lot about the benefits of interval training. Last week I started to try and incorporate it, I would run/sprint on the treadmill for a minute and do a brisk walk cool down for 2 minutes, repeating for about 25 minutes. Last week I didn't lose anything, but my weigh in day is tomorrow and I swear my belly fat has gone down--can't wait to weigh in! Has anyone else had success adding in intervals to their work outs? I'd love to hear any advice or success stories!

i do these, but slightly different. If you are comfortable running, try jogging at a speed you can catch your wind back at in 2 mins, then sprint 1 minute. You'll burn a ton more calories and it gets very challenging and gives you something to work up to.
  • mollypcv
    Options
    you lost 2.5% body fat in a week? That's um.... that's almost super human. Assuming that you really only have 16 lbs to lose total (as it says on your profile), I'd say that's probably over a lot longer period than a week.

haha no sorry I'm not being very clear, am I? Sorry, I'm new to this thread/board thingy. :) I'm sure you don't care but here's a better explanation: I have been going to a gym for the past 2 1/2 months doing a combo of weight training and cardio. Every 2 weeks they weigh us and on the scale it gives a body fat %--which I do realize is probably not accurate. I've lost 6 lbs total but for the past, oh, I guess almost 6 weeks haven't lost any weight and finally at last week's weigh in I did drop in body fat %--still no actual pounds. I know I should take that % loss with a grain of salt but my clothes all fit better and I'm in a smaller size on top so I want to believe it :) To get the pounds off I signed up for this site so I can be more accountable in what I eat.

and 'technically' I have probably closer to 24ish to lose, but I can't even fathom being that weight so I will wait (no pun intended) and see how I feel after 16!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

haha no sorry I'm not being very clear, am I? Sorry, I'm new to this thread/board thingy. :) I'm sure you don't care but here's a better explanation: I have been going to a gym for the past 2 1/2 months doing a combo of weight training and cardio. Every 2 weeks they weigh us and on the scale it gives a body fat %--which I do realize is probably not accurate. I've lost 6 lbs total but for the past, oh, I guess almost 6 weeks haven't lost any weight and finally at last week's weigh in I did drop in body fat %--still no actual pounds. I know I should take that % loss with a grain of salt but my clothes all fit better and I'm in a smaller size on top so I want to believe it :) To get the pounds off I signed up for this site so I can be more accountable in what I eat.

and 'technically' I have probably closer to 24ish to lose, but I can't even fathom being that weight so I will wait (no pun intended) and see how I feel after 16!

ok well that sounds a bit more reasonable. :laugh:

it's really all about how you feel anyway, getting hung up on the weight is something that happens to a lot of people, but body fat and measurements are a lot more telling than actual weight anyway. Good stuff, keep up the good work!