Are forums a lazy persons way not to research?

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum

At what age do we old people become "gross"?

I'm gross and approaching middle age (even though my three-year old thinks I'm old...five years old)
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with searching on the internet of course, but you can find just as much BS out there as you can in the forums and vice versa. Does hearing the same questions such as "I'm eating 900 cals a day. Why am I stalling?" get old? Yes. But how are new people supposed to know that and how else are they supposed to find MFP friends to help support them? New people also don't realize how much the same questions are asked all the time, so try to give them a break. Also, as someone else said, there is a ton of conflicting information online (both on MFP and not)- sometimes it's helpful to find actual people you can relate to and see what worked for them, specifically.

Not using a search function doesn't make people lazy. They might make time to work out and cook because that directly affects their health. In other words, they prioritize. It seems kinda ironic that you're ranting about this- not only is it under "motivation and support," but it's something that has been ranted about on countless threads, which you would have known if you had searched the topic...just sayin'...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    . More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum

X5kyazv.gif
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should of researched this...
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,293 Member
    Options
    More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum

At what age do we old people become "gross"?
    People at any age telling each other what a nice *kitten* they have on a public forum count as gross, in my book. These just happen to be parent/grandparent age.

nice *kitten*, sister!
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    If you use the search function, this question has already been answered.

I feel like there should be a gong sound after you read this.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    It must be awesome to know everything and not need peer feedback. Congrats on that.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    the gross old people

Shoot. 32. Gross? Damn, just got schooled by a child. :(
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    So, in some ways, for some questions, forums are the easy way out. But with nutrition, there are so many conflicting opinions, and so much 'common knowledge' that it can be really easy to get lost. At times, it's best to stand on the shoulders of others. They KNOW what works, they have b&a pictures, and can be seen as authority figures in this 'journey'.
    In other ways, it's totally irritating to see people who have bypassed all of the FAQ's and come to the forum to ask if vegetables have calories. And sadly, these people are often the ones that won't weather a plateau, and will jump ship after a short while. But I try not to assume they're all like that. I try to assume that they're exactly where I was when I first started, lost and needing a direction to be pointed in and maybe in need of someone to say, for the first time, that they CAN do it, but they don't know how to ask so they lamely post a topic asking if vegetables have calories.
    Ultimately I think I feel like forums are a more social person's way of asking for help and navigating the mines of weight loss. More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum that come just shy of cybering and overuse this emote : :drinker:

Aw, hon, I was with ya until ya called out the old people. Seeing as I'm one of em (and I'm on your friends list lol!)
    I probably do use the :drinker: emoticon too much. It's my version of a "thumbs up" for stuff I like, sometimes.

As for the rest of your post, I agree.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    i dunno....when i was a newbie...i searched through the forums at first...then asked my own FL for suggestions....
    sometimes a newbie just needs to ask the question and get some supportive or smack on the butt answers to get themselves off to a start.

^^This.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    the answer is yes and shouldnt you have researched this question before posting ...lazy
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So, in some ways, for some questions, forums are the easy way out. But with nutrition, there are so many conflicting opinions, and so much 'common knowledge' that it can be really easy to get lost. At times, it's best to stand on the shoulders of others. They KNOW what works, they have b&a pictures, and can be seen as authority figures in this 'journey'.
    In other ways, it's totally irritating to see people who have bypassed all of the FAQ's and come to the forum to ask if vegetables have calories. And sadly, these people are often the ones that won't weather a plateau, and will jump ship after a short while. But I try not to assume they're all like that. I try to assume that they're exactly where I was when I first started, lost and needing a direction to be pointed in and maybe in need of someone to say, for the first time, that they CAN do it, but they don't know how to ask so they lamely post a topic asking if vegetables have calories.
    Ultimately I think I feel like forums are a more social person's way of asking for help and navigating the mines of weight loss. More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum that come just shy of cybering and overuse this emote : :drinker:

Aw, hon, I was with ya until ya called out the old people. Seeing as I'm one of em (and I'm on your friends list lol!)
    I probably do use the :drinker: emoticon too much. It's my version of a "thumbs up" for stuff I like, sometimes.

As for the rest of your post, I agree.
    Lol maybe I should have phrased it differently! I just used it as a catch-all for the 'single or not, flirt with the poster above you' thing..makes me think of my dad hitting on women on their facebook photos :grumble:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Some of us like one-on-one human interaction and at least the illusion that someone cares.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Even though this was phrased as a question it's mostly rhetorical in the sense it was a vehicle to express frustration.