Steak ! Help ?

Options
2»

Replies

• morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate our sirloins in soy, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, a little rice wine vinegar, garlic, and anise. Let them marinate overnight (or longer). Toss them on the grill and grub.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    A little sea salt and on the grill and it must be well done no pink....yeah yeah I know!!

Not sure on your reasoning for this. It's been well-established scientifically that overcooking red meat produces carcinogens... as does cooking over charcoal, for that matter. I prefer to eat undercooked meat and risk poisoning myself that way. Hell, I love raw beef. I know that's bad, but I love it.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    A little sea salt and on the grill and it must be well done no pink....yeah yeah I know!!

Not sure on your reasoning for this. It's been well-established scientifically that overcooking red meat produces carcinogens... as does cooking over charcoal, for that matter. I prefer to eat undercooked meat and risk poisoning myself that way. Hell, I love raw beef. I know that's bad, but I love it.

Because thats how I like it, no other reason :)
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Try fillet or rib eye xxx softer meat as the muscle is not used so much x
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It was brown - dark brown on the outside, and pink on the inside.

sounds like you did a nice job cooking it. i'm quite impressed, especially since you haven't eaten it , much less cooked it, in years and years

Haha, I read a link someone put up here that suggested 4 minutes each side on a medium heat, so I did that, but left it in a cajun spice rub for an hour before cooking it as well to add some extra flavour. I was actually really wary about cooking it, I hate getting things wrong.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Just bought a pack of 6 Sirloin steaks. Not the totally grass fed I wanted which I would have to order online at great cost(in the Uk) but fed on a mixture of grass and cereal, from a high quality Uk shop. I have not had red meat since I was 12

No red meat since you were 12??? You mean, since 12 noon?

Lol, no, 12 years old. Became Vegetarian at 13, then Pescetarian at about 22.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I use sea salt, pepper, and rosemary. Pan sear in a hot cast iron skillet with some kerrygold grassfed butter and then oven finish. I like mine medium rare.

I need to invest in a cast iron skillet, I think. Something I don't yet have.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Well, it tasted amazing... to someone who didn't eat meat for 25 odd years anyway, lol.
    But I think I did something wrong as it was pretty chewy and tough.
    I cooked up some olive oil and butter in a pan, then did each side of the steak for about 4 minutes.
    It was brown - dark brown on the outside, and pink on the inside.
    Maybe it is the kind of steak I bought? Apparently ribeye and some others are better than sirloin ?

It might have been the temperature you were using, olive oil and butter both have low smoke points, you mentioned coconut oil earlier that would be a better option imo. The simplest possible way to cook steak is to pat it dry with kitchen paper, then salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil for as long as needed (meaning that if you have an electric hob it will take much longer) until the oil has that shimmy effect. Alternatively for less calories you can use a cooking spray, but either way it needs to be hot and sizzle a lot when the steak goes in.

Cast iron skillets are nice to look at and all but heavy and expensive, not necessary imo.

Also to the person above who said they leave marinade on, you want to pat the meat dry so you can brown it, if you leave liquid on the meat when it goes in the pan it will not brown properly.

One more thing I almost forgot, from the sounds of things you probably got the steaks at m&s, if they are the pack I'm thinking of they are fine but nothing too exciting. For me the most important thing when buying steak is that its been dry aged.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the other posts.

A little salt and pepper on each side. Toss on the BBQ 2-3 minutes on each side. Plate, eat. SIMPLE
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Overcooked means blackened. "browning" is not a lighter shade of that, it's a different chemical process. It's those black sausages off the bbq you should avoid!!