struggling with measuring properly on here?

Options
I know seems like a simple question but i'm just wondering how everyone else is finding it, again and again with weight loss i hear one of the major problems/obstacles is not measuring properly...i find when i go to log my foods i can't get accurate measurments like sometimes its either 1g of something or 100g and nowhere inbetween...

Also vegetable quantities i'm finding its hard to get exact...sometimes i have half a carrot, or one and a half that sort of thing

Should i be measuring everything on a scale?...i have been loosing so i feel i have a pretty good idea how much calories are going in but at the same time i'm worried perhaps im not being strict enough, what does everyone else do?..perhaps if i open my diary someone could get an idea of how i'm doing it...need some advice!

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I tend to measure everything. I like to know exactly what is going in my body. Sometimes guestimations can be way out. Ax
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything - then the 1g, 100g entries are no big deal because i know that i ate 63 grams of carrots.
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Same here, I weigh everything. If I am some where and have to use measuring cups I will but weighing is more accurate.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you ate 50 g of something and the entries only have 1g or 100g, list it as 50 servings of 1g or 0.50 of 100. I don't see where the problem is?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If the measurement is 1g and you ate 5g's just put 5 as the quantity. If the measurement is 100g and you ate 75g's put .75 as the quantity.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies gosh i feel silly have been doing it that way with the 1g but not with the 100 making it out to be more complicated than it is, also need to invest in a weighing scales pronto!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Look through the listings. Sometime the item may be measured differently in another listing. Sometimes I'm looking for cup measurements instead of weight (I know it's not as accurate but it's what I've got) and I will look to see if it is listed that way too.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Look through the listings. Sometime the item may be measured differently in another listing. Sometimes I'm looking for cup measurements instead of weight (I know it's not as accurate but it's what I've got) and I will look to see if it is listed that way too.

Yes! Also, the app is easier to do amounts on for me than the online program for some reason. Often you can do Tablespoon, or choose 1 unit and then choose the number you ate. (I just can't utilize the forums with the app. Strengths and weaknesses of both, I suppose.)
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    also when you start out double check the nutrient info against the packaging of packaged food until you have your recent and most used categories started. sometimes they can be inaccurate. and keep at it after awhile it really does become like second nature to weigh and measure. good luck!