tuna- how long does it last in the fridge?

Options
I will never buy the family size can again, don't worry.

Anyway, I had some last Friday and it was fine (after a bit more than 2 weeks). Do you think it's still good, now, at 3 weeks? It's been in the fridge in an airtight container this whole time.

It smells "fine." I think. I mean, it's tuna. So it smells anyway. What the hell does rotten tuna smell like? Could it smell more fishy/ worse? haha

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Blegh. Eat veggies, not tuna!

In reality, if it smells OK then it almost certainly is OK. The vast majority of the time, food smells and tastes foul before it's genuinely dangerous in any way.

I still wouldn't eat it.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I might eat it if you don't.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    From a tuna company's website...

After opening, any remaining product should be placed in a sealed container (not the can, pouch or cup) and immediately refrigerated. The product should be used within 3-4 days.
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't like to waste food either, but tuna is dirt cheap. I wouldn't risk it.
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I manage a Subway, the shelf life on our prepped tuna prepared with mayo is 3 days.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    id eat it if it doesnt smell funky. you could always take a little taste as well and see if the flavor is off.
    lots of times people say to toss things after a week, but i never have. if its not fuzzy and doesnt smell funky, i eat it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread made me dry heave...
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Tuna? Three weeks? No way in hell. Throw that puppy out. I don't like to keep it more than 2-3 days. Take it from someone who has had food poisoning-- it is not worth the 2 bucks.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Dude. I totally ate the tuna. I feel sick now.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Also I'm kidding.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    discard it!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is bad before you reach for the can opener....:laugh:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    what's leftover tuna??? I've never heard of it...
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    id eat it if it doesnt smell funky. you could always take a little taste as well and see if the flavor is off.
    lots of times people say to toss things after a week, but i never have. if its not fuzzy and doesnt smell funky, i eat it.

The presence of Clostridium botulinum or Salmonella, to my knowledge, produces no noticeable odor or flavor.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Run a small family restaurant and tuna salad, we put a 6 day expire date on it. After that it gets tossed, luckily ours usually sells out before the date.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

The presence of Clostridium botulinum or Salmonella, to my knowledge, produces no noticeable odor or flavor.
    *shrug* maybe im just a special snowflake then, because ive never had food poisoning or anything of the sort
  • phampamela8
    phampamela8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To the person who said " if it smells good then its probably good" excuse my french but that is complete horse shxxt!!! When i was pregnant with my 4th child, i was at my mother in laws house for 4th of July and i went to the fridge before the food was all done on the grill being 7 + 1/2 months pregnant i was hungry!!! So i seen a bowl of potatoe salad. I got myself a large heaping helping of it and chowed down and it was sooooo good! My mother in law just so happened to be a 67 year old black woman from the south so as she called it she put her foot in that potatoe salad! Anyway, she came in from cooking on the grill and said. To me "whered u get that?" I said in the fridge im just soo hungry the baby is hungry and i couldnt help it! She took the plate and said that potatoe salad has been in there since we left on vacation for 3 months now! Omg! But let me tell u it tasted AMAZING!!!! AI GOT FOOD POISONING BAAAADLY! almost 8 months pregnant with terrible food poisoning it was AWFUL!!! And i ate almost the whole thing thinking it was great too ....ugh!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty sure the rule of thumb is 3-4 days. It’s certainly not worth the risk.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Don't risk it. Especially for something as readily available and cheap as tuna.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Run a small family restaurant and tuna salad, we put a 6 day expire date on it. After that it gets tossed, luckily ours usually sells out before the date.

From a food safety perspective 6 days seems like stretching it, especially for something like a restaurant where potentially the pool of effected people could be quite high if your tuna salad is contaminated with bacteria! I’d not risk 6 days at home, I would generally go with 3 days. To me, after that, even in a sealed container it’s looking a bit darker, dry and smelling a bit stronger than when it left the can! However, I do use Tuna canned in spring water or brine. Maybe canned in oil it lasts a bit better?