Kiss Pork chops good bye?

Options
I made these really yummy bone in pork loin pork chops. Dredged them in flour and cayenne pepper and seasoned with a bunch of spices and fried them up with some oil and topped them off with fresh thyme and oregano. They were oh, so good. My side dish was eggplant parm (baked, not fried). So my husband and I are sitting down for our meals and pull up MFP to log in our food when WHAM(!) we see that each chop is close to 600 calories each! Not to mention the eggplant parm (which I expected). SO, kiss pork chops good bye or hope that some one out there has a good recipe that won't break the calorie bank?

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    600 cals? Are you sure? I had 90 grams of pork chops (2 thin fast fry chops) tonight for only 100 and something cals (120-something, I think). I even fried them in olive oil. Was your's just really big? If not, perhaps you need to find a more accurate entry (a lot of entries, even for specific brands are inaccurate on here).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You could just rub on the spices, sear each side, then cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, depending on thickness.
  • ordnaj3la1
    ordnaj3la1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey, as long as it fits your macros and you don't go over your daily calories, then go for it (y)
  • taelardinois
    taelardinois Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the flour and frying is probably what did you in. Pork chops themselves, are not a bad meat source.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I agree, it was probably the oil and flour. Last time I had a bone-in loin chop, my whole dinner was only about 600 calories. 7-ounce loin chop, marinade, side of baked beans, salad with blue cheese dressing.

Just season the chop, don't flour it, and use cooking spray instead of oil. You'll get that pork yumminess with fewer calories.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Try them with the same spices and without the flour. Boneless center cut might be a better choice also. I would do some research on the calories outside of mfp. Pork is the other white meat :)
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Drop the flour. Nothing wrong with Pork....mmmmm Pork....
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the flower if it's really a big deal.. also agree about the boneless suggestion. Personally, if you are looking for lean sources of protein that are meat, go with chicken, fish or turkey. Pork is better than ground beef, I think
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Shake n Bake for Pork is awesome. Discovered it several years ago and have never fried a pork chop since!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yep it is not the pork it is how you chose to cook it. Knowledge is Power and now you know.
    But you do not have to throw the baby (pork) out with the bath water (flour, oil).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    those must've been some big-*kitten* pork chops.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Pork=good. Flour=bad.
    I have a recipe for pork chops smothered in freaking sour cream and cheese that aren't even 600 calories. And they're BIG.
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if the entry was right. I used the Generic - Pork Chop, Bone-In, Pan Fried, 6 oz, entry. And even that does not know that I used flour. (I did not use that much flour, it's dredging, after all, not breaded.) Anyways, I still have leftovers, so I'll just enjoy it tomorrow, minus the eggplant parm.

Oh, and they were just your run of the mill sized chops. Not behemoth sized.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I try not to fry anything...too many calories. I like my pork chops cooked in the crock pot. They always come out juicy and full of flavor that way.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. Maybe try center cut pork loin chops and bread them in panko to get a crunch and bake them in the oven. You can still use cayenne and whatever seasonings you like.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You should have baked the pork chops instead of frying them. I have pork chops often. They are a good source of protein.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try baking:

Flatten/tenderize pork until about 1/4 inch.

Dunk in egg wash.

Dredge in bread crumbs or panko seasoned with your herbs of choice.

Place in a sprayed baking pan or sheet.

Bake @ 400F for 15-20 mins until cooked through.
  • JuliexAnne
    Options
    Sprinkle with meat tenderizer, pepper, a bit of garlic and bake, when they are almost done....Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. OH SO GOOD! Ohh, and majoram too!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    We eat Pork chops quite often but I season them with salt. pepper and garlic and sear them off and then bake them in the oven.... They are no way near 600+ calories. Lose the flour and oil........ I have also done them in the slow cooker as well and they turn out great. Best of Luck
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    skip the flour, skip the frying

dredge in spices like chili powder, cumin, pepper, sage, etc. & grill them