Can a trucker get some help

Options
I will be back on the road soon, 5th of April, after taking the winter off, and I lost almost 100lbs, but now need to go back to work.

I am scared of going back out there and being alone again, driving truck got me this way, but it is what I do, so please help me overcome this and help me to keep losing when I go out on the road.

Only issue I have, is I hate Veggies, always have, been working on it, and will contiue to do so, but keep this in mind , please.

Support is needed, and welcomed, as I have proof I can not do it alone, tried and failed too often.

thank you if you can help or offer advice here

patrick

Replies

• Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I am on every day and I love to encourage and support people!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Friend request coming! Great job on the weight you have lost!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself one of those food kits that people that compete use when traveling . Precook chicken, sweet potatoes and what ever veggies you can stand, almonds , apples, are a great snack if you can prepare your food before you leave the house this should help out a lot.. Buy a jumprope so at stops you can do some cardio right by your truck..:flowerforyou:
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I work for recycling company and I see truck drivers all day long. I know the reasons you are stressing out. Many drivers have lunch out of my vending machines. You know it will be hard. But losing 100 pounds is just as hard, and you did that! I know we have a break room that we allow drivers to use, that has a microwave in it. Not sure if you are an overnight driver or just day trips. But maybe pack something healthy that can be reheated? Do you have a good protein powder that you like? Keep that in the truck with bottles of water, and a shaker bottle to keep from snacking. Always remember that you have come too far to stop now. You can do this! And after a few weeks of being back on the road, you will get in to a good routine! Good Luck! Jill

**edited for spelling!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I generally dislike veggies as well. I try to make up the difference in fruit. You could try something like that!
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My dad was a trucker and he took a lot of apples, wheat sandwiches, carrots, and a lot of water w/him. He would never eat at any of the gas stations unless he had too and if he did it would be something small and healthy. Keep occupied w/books, sleep, and do some walking so your not always thinking about food. Good luck.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice for eating while traveling.

Here is just one link I found Googling it.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/6-tips-for-eating-healthy-on-the-road
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My partner is a truck driver, she always keeps Atkins advantage protein shakes on hand and eats pink salmon w/ mayo twice a day ( you can buy the individual packages of salmon at Walmart. She parks at the back of where ever she is and walks every chance she gets. Also, when she has the opportunity to eat out she stays away from junk food and tries to stick to Subway. Add me if you would like to, I am on here all the time. She also said to tell you tuna and chicken breast, both come in a pop top can at Walmart.
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was a trucker for a few years about 15 years ago and understand where you are coming from. Do you have a fridge in your truck? Do you have a microwave in your truck? If you at least have a fridge you can keep milk, juice, yogurt, and other things in there. Eating two meals a day out of your fridge, whether it be cereal, yogurt, slim fast, protein shakes, etc and maybe cold cuts for lunch that should help you out. I always had to eat at least one meal a day out of the truck and that is tough with all the truck stop food but it IS possible to eat well on the road. If you have got this far, you can make it on the road. Oh, not sure what you load, or if you do drop and hook, I always walked around the parking lot when they were loading the truck. I will send you a friend request, I am active daily :) And good luck and congrats on your journey so far.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 100 lb loss. I run a small trucking company and things are hard for drivers for sure. I recommend walking around the truckstop at night and try to bring as much of your own food as possible. Also look up overnight oats. You can make them in the truck because they don't need cooked. When I travel I do subway 6 inch with double meat and skip the chips and soda. Pretty cheap and fits my macros. Most Pilots have subway as you probably know. Also Kyle from www.gainsthroughloss.com is a trucker and here on mfp. Look him up and friend him.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome success so far. I think you could use that as motivation!!!! Not sure if you are on the road overnight or what you have access to.

If you don't have some sort of mini fridge in the truck ( sorry, clueless here) I would buy a large cooler that you could pack with water & snacks / sandwiches / salads etc. Buy a rotisserrie chicken & break it up into containers you can put some on a salad or make wraps etc..

Feel free to add me if you would like.

Good luck.
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love this post and am loving the replies. I hope they are helpful! I really have no advice that would be better than what others have provided, but just wanted to give a BIG congrats on the 100 pound loss. If you have before and after pictures bring them with you... hopefully it will remind you of the hard work you have done and why you have done it. Good luck!
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm a road warrior too- not quite to your level but I average 700 miles a week (home every night). Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends and I always eat lunch and my snacks in my car, maybe my diary can give you ideas. I quit the drive-thru~!
  • heiditorres9
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss, I'm on here every day and will offer you support when you need it. Just sent you a friend request :)
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can do it !! NUMBER 1.. STAY WITH MFP!! LOG IT AS YOU LOG YOUR LOGBOOKS for your trips..Its as important..You log you books you get paid..You log MFP you get the paid the benifits of losing and staying healthy.If there is a veggie you like eat that..What about salads? You can eat salads and change it up..My husband was a truck driver for only 5 years..But in those 5 yrs. he gained 30 lbs. He has since lost it and is a runner...I know the eating can be hard out there...but we are here to help you each step of the way..I wish you the best...
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    BTW...Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not a truck driver so can't say that I understand what it would be like, but am guessing one of the biggest problems with eating healthy while driving a truck would include eating due to boredom and decreased activity which hasn't been addressed. My only advice would be to make a habit of not eating while you are driving, only drink water while you are driving and drink lots of water. Prepare your meals from home as others have already mentioned and get out of the truck, walk around and eat your meal enjoying the environment as much as possible. If you feel lonely journal or if you have internet access go online and come on the map boards. Give and get support.
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Youv'e done great,when you start back on the road,have your lap top and start conecting with your fitnesspals!:flowerforyou:
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    Great job on what you have done already.. We are here to support you ... Add away :)
  • HoneyPie99
    Options
    Hi, great job on your loss, congrats
    Did you ever see the stallon movie Over the top, well he had some weight lifting contraction set up in his tactor cab that he used while he was driving, pretty cool. Make sure you carry lots of water and make good healthy food choices. Better to carry your own food instead of stoping at fast food or truck stop food. Best of luck, I know you can do it cause you have already lost 100!!!:happy: