Chest exercises with bum shoulder/collarbone?

Options
I am trying to work on strengthening my chest and shoulder muscles, but a bad injury to my left shoulder has left me with a floating collarbone, and arthritis and ligament damage in that shoulder. I have been doing some modified pushups and low rows using a strap system that goes over the doorway, and it is helping, but it also aggravates the left shoulder, so I tend to favor it over the right.
I don't want to end up lopsided, but also don't want to stop altogether.

I can't seem to find any exercises that I can do to strengthen those muscles without causing pain. I am trying to go light and strengthen slowly, but don't know if I am really doing any good.

I realize that a PT would probably be the answer, but I don't really want to get back into that insurance/medical circus again. Hard to find someone who is really highly trained in rehab, more so than in milking as money as possible, and end up causing more damage to my body again.

Just thought perhaps there were some PTs or trainers on here that might have some suggestions for exercises I haven't already tried.

I have at my disposal, the over the door straps by Reebok, (I think they are similar to the TRX system)
I also have 5, 15, and 20 lb dumbbells, and resistance rubber tubing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm interested too since I have a tear in my rotator cuff and in pain all day and night.
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Without going to see a PT and having to deal with insurance issues, do you have one of those medical hotlines that you can call? Just a thought.
  • katoriyukai
    Options
    I went through the same thing when I broke both ankles and sprained my back and knee. They wanted me to do three separate sessions, one for each body part, once a week at over $200 a session. And that's with really good insurance! First thing to know is that everyone's a little "lopsided." Everyone's dominant side is stronger simply because they use that side the most, so a little lopsidedness isn't awful as long as it's not horribly visible. What I was told to do by my primary care doctor *who can be very helpful with this for free* is to start with resistance band training. You don't want to overwork it at first as it will only cause more damage. You should build up with increasing resistance until you are able to do so completely without pain for a good half hour. Then you can move onto other exercises. It's a pain in the neck and takes forever, but it's a lot better than ending up in the hospital again.