Craving Carbs After Salad Dinner, Suggestions?

Options
I've been trying to incorporate a salad with grilled chicken and veggies as a dinner option once or twice a week. It doesn't quite fill me up, and more specifically, I crave carbs afterwards. I usually give in and end up eating a bowl of cereal before bed. Any suggestions for a healthy card to pair with my chicken salads?

Replies

• jilrsch
    jilrsch Posts: 7
    Options
    Add in more fat. Could you add avocado and some nuts or seeds to your salad? And maybe hardboiled eggs.
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A couple of baby potatoes :0)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    baked or mashed yam, or butternut squash
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    That sounds more like habit than physiology. As someone else mentioned, I would try adding healthy fats before I added carbs.

But since you asked, you could add a slice of whole grain bread or make your own whole grain croutons. Do they make whole grain crispy noodles?
  • danceaway100
    danceaway100 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try mashed cauliflower -
    cook and drain the cauliflower, use mixer on low (or mash with a fork) and slowly add skim milk to get it to the consistency you want. Add salt and pepper and even a small dab or two squirts of butter.

I found that if I had a bite right after a bite of meat or even with the meat it was like eating mashed potatoes and I felt satisfied.
  • Davis911
    Davis911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a salad (Mon - Thurs) with 4 to 7 oz of whatever meat (fish, chicken, turkey) my wife decides to cook that night. I add 1 to 2 servings of homemade guacamole and a serving of low sodium spinach/artichoke dip along with 1 to 2 servings of Raspberry vinaigrette dressing. If I ate right during the day, this curbs my carb cravings just fine. If I still want carbs, I grab a slice of Eziekel bread with a little sunflower/almond butter spread as dessert or a couple ounces of blackberries or blueberries. Also, make sure you are drinking your water during the day.