Frustration - Wife sabotages herself - women listen up

Options

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm sorry but you kind of reinforce her lack of self confidence by how you treat her. Viewing somebody with self confidence issues as selfish because it means she's not as available to you sexually is frightening.

Yeah, this too!

The whole thing was just weird. I don't even know where to start.

Quoting this because it needs to be seen by the, "Omg, Edward Cullen is a great boyfriend" responses.

See, and I was thinking he sounded like a dead ringer for Christian Grey. Haven't read it, but preeeeetty sure I picked up what they were putting down. :sick:
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    So, you want your wife to have more self-confidence, but you rip her apart when she puts her hair in a ponytail and go into details about her lack of confidence on a public message board?

I'm so glad that I found an amazing man who doesn't love me less when I decide to wear my hair in a ponytail.
    This.

Also, sweatpants. Lurve sweatpants.

Agreed!
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    OP, I totally understand since I'm a similar age and went through some super low self esteem recently. Like some others said, just keep being nice. My bf would keep saying nice things and it took me a long time to believe him. I felt so bad too because I didn't want him near me and I kept comparing myself to others. Eventually, I got rid of anything that would make me feel bad, including social networking, mirrors, baggy clothes, and bad food. One day I just told him that I was so sick of myself. I think she needs that moment. And she is lucky to have you there to listen to her.

Plus, you can always make a long list of why you love her and give it to her on a date night or something. <3

I hope things work out!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm sorry but you kind of reinforce her lack of self confidence by how you treat her. Viewing somebody with self confidence issues as selfish because it means she's not as available to you sexually is frightening.

Yeah, this too!

Quoting this because it needs to be seen by the, "Omg, Edward Cullen is a great boyfriend" responses.

See, and I was thinking he sounded like a dead ringer for Christian Grey. Haven't read it, but preeeeetty sure I picked up what they were putting down. :sick:

Seeing as how ONE IS THE OTHER *coughplagiarismcough*
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Also: One day your wife is going to be an old lady. Saggy boobs and all. And you're going to be an old man with saggy...well, you get the point. If your marriage stands the test of time, you had better be in love with the inner person. Youth and beauty fade far quicker than young people realize. Life goes by in a flash. You'll wake up one day, look in the mirror, and be SHOCKED at the old person looking back at you. You still feel like you. You still feel YOUNG. But you won't be. Wild, passionate, crazy sex will end eventually too. Or else you'll break a hip.

So, you better be prepared to love her in any condition.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thank you, for posting this. I don't know what the sacred importance to hairbands is about (maybe because I hacked all my hair off!) so I actually read the entire post.

First off, she could just really really REALLY like baggy shirts and sweats because they are convenient! That aside...

You seem to be genuinely concerned about your wife. I don't know what the entire journey has been like for you two, but it seems like she can't see herself beyond whatever started transformation. I think a lot of her rejection to your compliments and support is partially because of that. If she can't see her own beauty without all the fancy get-ups and makeup, then what you say can seem false whether she's dressed up or not. Have you tried sitting down with her to explain how her denial acutally hurts YOU? Maybe, if she sees that you really do support her sincerely, she will be able to start accepting your praise.

A less direct approach might be to find a photo (or ask to take one) of her when she has put the extra effort in. Not evening gown and movie makeup, mind you. Something like Sunday-morning-brunch. Get it sized up. Put it on the wall in the livingroom. Tell her you want it for your office desk. Let her know how much that look means to you. It might not help too much with the self esteem issue, but if she gets enough feedback about looking nicer, she might not turn immediately for her comfort clothes.

Finally...just keep showing her you love her. That will be that absolute best thing you can do for her. :)

This is the best possible answer here. Kudos to you, OP. If all men were like you, the world would be a much better place.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

As long as you call it fan fiction, apparently it's totally fine! :laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for you, OP. I am a wife with a healthy, positive self-image. I love my body and I'm very comfortable sharing it whole-heartedly with my husband. I KNOW that my good attitude towards myself makes my husband feel really great about himself (I think it helps a guy feel content and happy when he knows his woman is happy) and it helps set the tone for our relationship. Plus, if I show respect for myself, it almost seems to command respect from others. My husband is proud of his wife - and vice versa - and that's a great feeling for both of us.

We both make an effort to keep ourselves attractive for one another and the thought and care we put into ourselves really helps keep the marriage feeling vibrant and alive. As you said, it's not about being perfect - athough it's nice to do your best - it's more about the attitude and spirit you bring to your relationship.

Someone who isn't happy with him/herself isn't going to send out the best vibes. Don't blame yourself when your wife is down on herself. It's not necessarily a reflection of your spousal performance. As a supportive spouse, continue to find ways to show her that she is attractive to you and be sure to acknowledge the things that SHE does/says that make you feel good about yourself. Just don't get controlling or pushy (like throwing her stuff away). That kind of thing usually backfires.

Another poster mentioned that she could be depressed or feeling overwhelmed. Did she always have this negative attitude or is it something that has kind of come on over time? Maybe you could suggest a visit with a therapist to see what's up...

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Honest opinion....you're blind to her needs. Get off your own desires of the physicality. Love is not that for which you see
  • ladydockins
    ladydockins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I wear my baggy clothes and t-shirt and my hair is a mess it doesn't mean that I don't value myself. Every person has some sort of image issue of one kind or another and I know for me it had nothing to do with me being selfish just more of being young and unsure of myself and still sort of believing those romantic kind of fairytale marriage things that are eventually outgrown. I've been married a little while now and my husband has always been amazing and the best part about it is that he always make me feel sexy even when I know I look like a hot mess and that is what gives me the confidence boost I need. The fact that he finds me attractive when im covered in whatever my day involved with the house and the kids makes me feel awesome. I know that if he threw away my hair bands and told me I needed to invest more time in my appearance, it would make me feel like there was something wrong with me and even more insecure about myself. Let her be her, hair bands and baggy clothes and all of that if thats what she's comfortable with you shouldn't make her uncomfortable just because you don't like it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time reading as you tore your wife to shreds about her lack of confidence. This was a uniquely painful experience, thank you for subjecting me to this brand new kind of discomfort.
    With love,
    Burt

This was how I felt also.

Really? Have you ever been with someone who is insecure? They need constant reassurance. The OP explained this in great detail. It is absolutely exhausting to have to constantly reassure someone of their worth. And it is not fair to the person who has to do the reassuring because no matter what they do or say, no matter what tactics they try, the insecure person does not listen to them and their self-image is not improved. It's highly frustrating to have to maintain someone else's self-esteem while trying to maintain your own.

I've been with my husband for 15 years (and we were friends for another two years before that). I have my own history that had a very damaging impact on how I view myself and on how I saw my worth as being completely intertwined with my sexual attractiveness. My husband knows this and understands this, so he knows what I have been through. And when he sees me struggling he can help remind me that this is the damage from my past, and he reminds me of the healthy ways I have coped and been able to overcome that. I have, at many times in my life, struggled with a distorted sense of how I looked. My husband is amazing. He has always adored me and helped me to see myself through his eyes. I know that how he sees me does matter. When I feel down about myself, I know that I could spiral into a bad place, so I remind myself of how my husband sees me and that I value him and our relationship. I have a lot of feelings about myself, but I deal with them in my own mind because I know my husband does not see me the way I see myself, so I don't need to always share those thoughts and feelings with him, I can manage them for myself. I also know that the way I feel about myself is how I feel about myself and not how my husband feels about me. I am completely comfortable and uninhibited around my husband because I know how much he is attracted to me and he also says that my comfort with my body and sexuality is one of the things he likes about me.

Also, I know that I can trust him because when I ask him questions about what I need to work on for my fitness, he is honest with me. He doesn't claim that I don't need to work on something that I know full well that I do need to (if I want to be my best fitness).

So, I'm just saying that a woman can have these issues and not have it impact her relationship. But, I do need support from my husband. If my husband behaved and thought in some of the ways as this OP, it would not improve the issues at all. I also find it odd that he felt the need to detail it out in order to try and teach all us women something.
  • dorothyfromtlon
    Options
    If only YOU could fix this...but you can't. It's called SELF-esteem for a reason. >,<

I do think that your writing about how sexy self-esteem is, and how very much more important it is to a person's attractiveness than any external factor, is awesome and good for people to hear -- thanks for that!

I struggled with self-esteem for many years -- including being obsessed about my looks and my body, and finally reaching a place where I can "technically" look half as good but feel (and come across!) twice as sexy -- and I wrote some articles about it that maybe someone will find helpful, too. Best of luck to us all -- women and men alike -- because appreciating and respecting yourself really IS the single biggest factor in your happiness IMO.

Article: http://www.puredoxyk.com/index.php/2012/01/31/self-esteem-for-smart-people-part-one/

Thanks!
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    ditto.

Maybe she likes to be comfortable some days. Because guess what?...dressing up isn't that comfortable. She should be able to dress however she wants around you. Hopefully you married her for more than her looks. If she is like me, it takes more than an hour for her to really get ready and do her hair. Would you spend over an hour on your looks each day, if it was just so she thinks you look presentable?

I can't believe you are happy she is working out. I bet she really disgusts you when she is sweaty.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    therapy?
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    OP, you sound like a great guy. Here's my feedback for what it's worth:

The hairband thing:

Your remarks about my appearance would hurt me. I would feel that you are being critical of me. Nothing has been sexier than a boyfriend that sees me scrubbing the toliet and he says something about liking the way my *kitten* looks bent over. A woman wants to hear that you love her...all of her...in any state. Ever. Unconditionally. She's sexy when she's a mess. She's a goddess when she's fixed up. Part of your wife's lack of self-esteem could be, unintentionally, partly your fault. Ease up on her, man. Be there for her all the time, and be proud of your beautiful wife in public no matter how dumpy she looks. At 22 years old, she's not even grown into herself yet.

Try these words at a moment she isn't expecting it. When she's cleaning or cooking, catch her in your arms, kiss her face all over with a playful attitude, then be serious a moment...look her lovingly in the eyes and say softly, "Marrying you... was the best decision I've ever made. I'm so proud of you. I really hope you know just how much I love you."

Instead of focusing your compliments on her outward appearance, focus on all that you love about her inside. Self-esteem is an inward problem. So start there. Build her up from the inside out. Show her that you love her at the very core.

Because let me tell you. I'm a big girl. 282 lbs. at my biggest. 239 lbs. now. And my weight hasn't stopped me from buying sexy lingerie and having wild, passionate sex every way possible. Yes, I know you didn't want that visual. :laugh: My point is, I'm able to do that because I'm accepting of who I am, and my boyfriends and past lovers wanted ME....just exactly the way I am.

Do that for your girl, and you'll have her hanging off the chandelier. :drinker:

I couldn't have said it better. But, here's what's left of my contribution.... Pointing out how she's "hiding herself" will only create resentment & a communication gap in your marriage. Personally, I love my hair in a ponytail & being in sweats or jeans & no make-up but I get what you're saying... That's not her. But maybe, just maybe, some days it is. Don't pressure her. Provide small frequent doses of unconditional love. Give her space & freedom to grow as an individual. Love her for who she is, even her insecurities. Make light of it & eventually she will too. Focus & nurture the positive. Everything else will take care of itself.
  • marymechling
    Options
    Thank you; It was definitely meant to be that I read this tonight.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a blog lately by a young lady with similar self worth issues. Your wife might enjoy reading it. It is both inspiring and funny.

http://thewunderyear.wordpress.com/
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I applaud you. You and my husband are cut from the same cloth.
    My husband thinks I'm beautiful no matter if I'm a size 8 or a size 12 (God love him) but with the compliments being so natural, there is nothing spontaneous about them. Most of the time I feel like the compliments are just part of what he feels he should say as a husband trying to be a good husband.
    Occasionally when I get dressed up, if he says "DAMN!" I know I hit the nail on the head.
    Many women feel if they could also turn other people's heads, they are still hot.
    For me, unfortunately, this is me too.
    His opinion matters a lot to me and the same will be with your wife, but try to be spontaneous with your compliments. :D
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Thank you, for posting this. I don't know what the sacred importance to hairbands is about (maybe because I hacked all my hair off!) so I actually read the entire post.

First off, she could just really really REALLY like baggy shirts and sweats because they are convenient! That aside...

You seem to be genuinely concerned about your wife. I don't know what the entire journey has been like for you two, but it seems like she can't see herself beyond whatever started transformation. I think a lot of her rejection to your compliments and support is partially because of that. If she can't see her own beauty without all the fancy get-ups and makeup, then what you say can seem false whether she's dressed up or not. Have you tried sitting down with her to explain how her denial acutally hurts YOU? Maybe, if she sees that you really do support her sincerely, she will be able to start accepting your praise.

A less direct approach might be to find a photo (or ask to take one) of her when she has put the extra effort in. Not evening gown and movie makeup, mind you. Something like Sunday-morning-brunch. Get it sized up. Put it on the wall in the livingroom. Tell her you want it for your office desk. Let her know how much that look means to you. It might not help too much with the self esteem issue, but if she gets enough feedback about looking nicer, she might not turn immediately for her comfort clothes.

Finally...just keep showing her you love her. That will be that absolute best thing you can do for her. :)

This is the best possible answer here. Kudos to you, OP. If all men were like you, the world would be a much better place.

Seriously? I mean really?

I give up. I must not get women at all! Because to me that sounds twisted.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Yeah, this too!

Absolutely!