when and what should I eat before a workout?

Options
I'm finding it hard to get my timing down for when and what to eat before kickboxing class.

I eat dinner every night at 5pm, but my classes are at 645 on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Last time I felt too full from my regular dinner (chicken pesto pasta salad, totaling 450 cal.), so tonight I decided to have a protein bar at 5 and a banana at 6.

By the end of the class I felt dizzy and like I might be sick.

So when an what should I eat next time?

Replies

• Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too am having this same issue with my zumba class that starts at 6pm. Nonzumba days-I eat arounf 5pm, if I do that on zumba days I feel way to stuffed to get into it. Tried eating after-was too weak and not in the mood to eat afterwards. Last week I tried eating about 1/2 of dinner around 4:30 and then forcing myself to finish the rest afterwards...it worked but seemed odd timing wise.

Looking forward to hearing how others are handling this. Great question :)
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options
    Do you wear a heart rate monitor during kickboxing class? I'm not sure what your energy expenditure is to give you a decent opinion.

If it was me, and kickboxing burn a good 500some cal: I would have my lean 20g protein mix with water (approx. 93 cal) and eat both a banana and an apple30-45 min. prior to my work out. But even more important, I would make sure I am well hydrated, and consuming enough potassium throughout the day. That way I have enough energy for my workout, and can guiltlessly eat dinner following class.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym in the afternoon most days

As I'm and older gym junkie nowadays I have had a similar problem if I exercise to close to having had a meal

I discussed this at length with my nutritionist/trainer who explained the following for me......

My metabolism does not run at the same pace as when i was a young man therefore it takes longer for my food to pass throught my stomach and into the system
    Over a period of time i have learnt not to exercise until 90minutes after I have eaten lunch
    If i wait too long I also get very tired, so i generally time lunch for 1-1:30 and head to the gym between 2;30 and 3 every day
    I also have a black espresso just before I train ( apparently it helps get my heart rate up) and I seem to manage ok

For me it was a case of trial an error to find the right balance food- training time

I hope you find a solution that works for you
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Do you wear a heart rate monitor during kickboxing class? I'm not sure what your energy expenditure is to give you a decent opinion.

If it was me, and kickboxing burn a good 500some cal: I would have my lean 20g protein mix with water (approx. 93 cal) and eat both a banana and an apple30-45 min. prior to my work out. But even more important, I would make sure I am well hydrated, and consuming enough potassium throughout the day. That way I have enough energy for my workout, and can guiltlessly eat dinner following class.

I haven't used an HMR, but I feel like I'm the only one sweating! LOL

I'll definitely try the lean protein, banana and Apple.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    As soon as I got home, I had a protein shake with one cup of coconut almond milk and I felt much better. That was at 8 and then I ate my dinner at 930 after I put my son to bed. On the plus, I have no urges for night snacking.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I go to the Y after work. Stop by home to change and have a protein bar or shake. That carries me through 4km+ swim and 30 to 60 minutes in the weight room.
    The only drawback of sorts is that I often have to eat over 1200 calories after the workout. :bigsmile:
  • MizuumiJ
    MizuumiJ Posts: 11
    Options
    I would like to know too actually 2 questions

1. how do I start a topic on here?

and

2. I do zumba for 22 min a day 2x a day 5 days a week but what exactly should I eat afterwards?
    I have campbells chunky soup and A LOT of fiber one protein bars:tongue: