Replies

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Use eggs that are a couple of weeks old so they peel easier. Place the eggs in water, heat it to boiling on the stove top. Let it boil for about two minutes. Turn the heat off but let the pan hang out for 15 minutes. Move the eggs to cold water for another 15 minutes. Peel, they are usually spot on for me.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Put your eggs in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes. Turn the burner off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.

That's how I do mine, and they turn out great every time.

I do basically the same thing, but I usually only let them boil until I notice they are boiling! I also add a little white vinegar to the water as it aids in peeling.

Also, transfer to an ice bath after 10 minutes. :) They always come out perfecto! :wink:
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I also buy 2.5 dozen fresh eggs from the farmers market most Sunday's and hard boil about a half a dozen right away. I don't really think freshness makes a difference (in regards to suggestions of using old eggs), but I do think better quality, farm fresh eggs might be easier to peel. :)
  • keegalie
    keegalie Posts: 82
    Options
    bump
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    LOL! Never knew there were so many ways to do this.:smile:

fwiw - Jacques Pepin's method. Saw it on "Cooking with Claudine" series. I do it like this when I'm just making 2-3 eggs at a time.

1) Bring a pot of water to a boil.
    2) Gently prick a pin-hole in the top of the egg. (I use a corn-cob holder to do it)
    3) Lower egg slowly into boiling water with a slotted spoon until air bubbles stop coming out of the egg; about 5 seconds. (ETA: if you drop them in too quickly the white will expand out of the hole)
    4) Boil exactly 10 minutes.
    5) Remove egg(s) to ice cold water bath.

The yolk will be a deep yellow color, no green rings, and the middle will be soft-ish but not runny.
  • AllisonConnell1301
    Options
    BAKE THEM.
    that's right. In the oven.
    Put them in muffin pans to keep them from rolling around. Oven should be set to 325 Bake about 30-35 minutes. (I did 32, mine turned out perfect!)
    Then out in ice water for 10 minutes.
    That's it!! They peel perfectly!
  • My sisters tips for perfect boiled eggs.

Put eggs in saucepan of cold water.
    Turn stove on
    Forget about eggs
    Remember eggs after about 20 minutes when someone mentions the stove is on
    Take saucepan of heat and put under running cold water.

Put your eggs in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes. Turn the burner off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.

That's how I do mine, and they turn out great every time.

This is my preferred method.
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We use the eggies at our house. Love them! Spray with pam, fill up, put in pan, time for 20 minutes, check it out- if whites are finished were done, if not extend for 2 minutes. They slide right out- no peeling.
  • kitty_764
    kitty_764 Posts: 64
    Options
    I set timer for 20mn, put eggs in boiling water, bring water back to a boil then turn down and let simmer.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do to cook the yolk but not have that black ring around it:

Only use enough water to cover the eggs, use cold water.
    Put pot on high heat, put eggs in, wait for hard (very bubbly) boil to start.
    Turn heat down to med-high or medium to maintain boil, time for 9 minutes.
    If you don't put the eggs in until the hard boil then I'd set the time to 11-12 minutes.

Remove eggs when time is up and put in ice bath.

This! Always perfect everytime!
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    Bake them in the oven @ 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes (I baking mine for 30 minutes). The egg has more flavor, the yoke isn't dry, and it's easier to peel.

This is the move. I put mine in a muffin pan. Then into a pot of ice water right away to stop the cooking. Perfect every time. Not dry at all.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    boil kettle.
    Put the eggs in on high for 10 minuets.

Works every time for me!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Start eggs off in cold water and a teaspoon of salt on the stove. Bring to a full boil and shut the heat off but leave the pot on the hot burner. If the eggs are room temp leave for 10 minutes if they are straight from the refridge leave them for 13 minutes. After the time is up plop them into ice water until completely cooled.

^^This is exactly how I do it...Works every time. If you have a tough time peeling them, run them under cold water while you peel them. I've read you shouldn't boil the eggs for any amount of time as it makes the yolk tough and rubbery. Just shut the burner off as soon as you get a full boil.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I put them in water, boil them....go off and do something else....then when I hear gun shots and have a heart attack I return to the kitchen to find them boiled dry and exploded but most definintely hard boiled!
  • jenalbertson3
    Options
    Boil for 5 minutes and take them off the stove let sit about 2 minutes. If you put a tsp. of baking soda in the water while they are boiling the shell will come off without wrecking the eggs!! And then you will have the perfect egg!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I never thought of baking them what a great idea!! I will have to try that tonight. I always put the eggs into boiling water for 10 minutes and then they are done. Baking soda sounds like a good idea too. Who would have thought I could have learned more about a simple thing like a hard boiled egg. Although if you bake it, you will have to change the name lol
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    THis is the way I always do it...

Put eggs in the cold water to boil... once boiling, time for 15 minutes. cool down.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    Put the egg into cold water and bring to the boil. Once it does boil, cook for 10 minutes.