ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Troll alert!
    i was thinking the same thing...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    Dear OP:

I am glad you posted this. I have been meaning to ask some questions for a few days, this may be my opportunity.

What is a macro and a micronutrient and how do we measure them or rather know how many of each we need?
    Macronutrient in fitness/diet terms are defined as your carbs, proteins, fats and water. Micronutrient in fitness/diet are defined as vitamins, minerals and other trace elements for essential health.
    If my TDEE is 2400 and MFP says to eat 1200 and I want to lose 25 lbs do you recommend eating 2400 calories and then burning off 1200 in exercise to get to 1200 by day's end?
    Actually I'd have you just eat 1920 since that's 20% of your TDEE. Your exercise is already figured in.
    If so then what do I do when I take a day off from exercise? Just eat 1200 calories? (actually, this doesn't sound right). Naturally, all my body wants to consume is about 1400 - 1700.
    Figure out your TDEE for that day and subtract 20% of the calories.
    There is probably no way I could eat more, I would blow up.
    Unless your intake was more calorie dense.
    I do cardio only now, but am starting lifting in ten days. I should wait til I lift to up my calories or I will never work all that off via cardio unless I do Zumba plus something else. daily
    Say what?
    Also how do I figure protein grams for my daily intake. I want to weigh about 120 lbs. Is it 120 grams that I need or is it another calculation to mean a percentage of my calories should be protein. Given all the numbers I gave you, how do I figure my protein.

Thanks in advance.
    Depends on what you're physically doing to attain whatever goal you're shooting for. Ratio of macronutrients can be divided into your total daily calories, then take those percentages in calories and divide them by grams according to the macronutrient to figure out how many grams of each you should be eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Dear OP:

I am glad you posted this. I have been meaning to ask some questions for a few days, this may be my opportunity.

What is a macro and a micronutrient and how do we measure them or rather know how many of each we need?

If my TDEE is 2400 and MFP says to eat 1200 and I want to lose 25 lbs do you recommend eating 2400 calories and then burning off 1200 in exercise to get to 1200 by day's end? If so then what do I do when I take a day off from exercise? Just eat 1200 calories? (actually, this doesn't sound right). Naturally, all my body wants to consume is about 1400 - 1700. There is probably no way I could eat more, I would blow up. I do cardio only now, but am starting lifting in ten days. I should wait til I lift to up my calories or I will never work all that off via cardio unless I do Zumba plus something else. daily

Also how do I figure protein grams for my daily intake. I want to weigh about 120 lbs. Is it 120 grams that I need or is it another calculation to mean a percentage of my calories should be protein. Given all the numbers I gave you, how do I figure my protein.

Thanks in advance.

danger will robinson! bahahahahhahahaha ...she is trying to blow up your thread bro!
    I do not fear Smith.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Dear OP:

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE HELP. I copied it for future reference.
    YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What I call cardio, some people call everyday life. LOL. I'm working my way up to lifting. In fact, I am waiting on a couple of weightlifting books for beginners from Amazon. Then.....watch out! The goddess in me is coming out guys.

Redladywitch! you said it girl!! my cardio consists of walking, and then some faster walking. lol havent gotten to the "jogging" without my ankle or some joint hurting lol
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    What if the basics aren't really working for someone?
  • WannaBeFitJean
    WannaBeFitJean Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    People on here seem to prefer complicated!!

Not all !!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What if the basics aren't really working for someone?
    Then either information being input is incorrect or there's something hormonally going on in the body. These are the usual culprits. It's rare that if someone actually is CONSISTENT with the basics that desired weight loss isn't met.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    applause-o.gif

can I request more of this? There has been far too much magic and woo on here lately.

Eat food, but not too much
    Get moving
    Pick up some heavy things and put them down again
    repeat
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    yayyyy
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great post Niner.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Common Sense FTW. yay niner!
    Octavia_Clapping.gif
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    it's so funny that it can be that simple. have been lifting weights since the baby was born, but wasn't tracking food. started tracking 10 days ago, and will be down 4lbs when I do my next weight entry. I eat back my exercise, and don't feel horribly deprived at all.

but see, the trick is, this is all active. it's all stuff you gotta practice. but that's good, because it works, and it gets easier the longer you practice. despite the crazy overload of crazy stuff i see on these forums (i'm used to fitocracy, this stuff doesn't fly so much there), i'm happy there are some sane folks around.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    it's so funny that it can be that simple. have been lifting weights since the baby was born, but wasn't tracking food. started tracking 10 days ago, and will be down 4lbs when I do my next weight entry. I eat back my exercise, and don't feel horribly deprived at all.

but see, the trick is, this is all active. it's all stuff you gotta practice. but that's good, because it works, and it gets easier the longer you practice. despite the crazy overload of crazy stuff i see on these forums (i'm used to fitocracy, this stuff doesn't fly so much there), i'm happy there are some sane folks around.
    I always tell my clients the method is simple. But it ain't gonna be easy especially if you're starting in the obese category. But anything worth fighting for (regardless of what it is one desires) will come with difficulty and obstacles.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Dear OP:

If my TDEE is 2400 and MFP says to eat 1200 and I want to lose 25 lbs do you recommend eating 2400 calories and then burning off 1200 in exercise to get to 1200 by day's end? If so then what do I do when I take a day off from exercise? Just eat 1200 calories? (actually, this doesn't sound right). Naturally, all my body wants to consume is about 1400 - 1700. There is probably no way I could eat more, I would blow up. I do cardio only now, but am starting lifting in ten days. I should wait til I lift to up my calories or I will never work all that off via cardio unless I do Zumba plus something else. daily

Thanks in advance.

If you thought the original post was helpful, you may want to continue with these

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

very helpful and informative.
  • Tanstar76
    Tanstar76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    - Stop complicating it. Unless you have a medical condition that indicates otherwise, you do not have to eat ‘clean’, restrict a food group, restrict a macro, cleanse, detox, time your meals, or anything else to lose weight. Eat a diet that comprises nutrient dense foods and enjoy treats as long as they fit into your macros (see also http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym ).

Thanks for this post - this is SO me. I fall off the wagon, start reading up again, try to get motivated but confuse myself thinking I need to cut carbs/grains/sugar completely instead of realising I can just eat well and in moderation rather than thinking I need to fit into a paleo/sugar free model that feels so unrealistic for me.

Thanks for the kick I needed - will begin tracking again tomorrow and will shift this 7kgs (15 lbs). I know it's not a huge amount in the whole scheme of things but I am 5ft1 and haven't been able to shift it for a while.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *nods*
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    *phew* I was just about to shove a tube up my butt and give myself a coffee enema.

Glad you saved me....
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Bump for the awesome.