The Zumba Crew w/o 6-14

Options
Hi everyone!
If you were a part of our original thread, welcome back!
If you are new and LOVE zumba, or want to know more about it, join in!

Since we all know that we have one thing in common... why don't we get to know each other a little better? Tell us what you do and a little about yourself!

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I am Emily, I am 28, married, and I have twins, a son and a daughter.
    I am a graphic designer, and worked at a newspaper until the babies came, and now I do freelance work from home. I usually design magazines and books, and I love it!
    I have had dreadlocks for 8 years, and they reach my butt, but I am finally thinking about cutting them!
  • Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    HI Emily :)

I'm Allie, 38, married with a 12 year old son. I'm a Zumba instructor and work at a gym. I love my job and it keeps me feeling energetic.

Don't cut your dreads!!! :) They're awesome.
  • joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am Joy. I am 36 married and the mom of 5. My oldest is 18 and my youngest will be 5 in July. I work full-time as a Veterinary Technician.

I love Zumba and am just getting back to my Beto DVDs after joining Team Beachbody. I also work one of the Beachbody programs every other day.

I am looking forward to meeting more Zumba lovers.

Blessings,
    Joy
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Michele and 57 yrs. young. Just started Zumba and borrowed a friends dvds. Now I either have to buy my own or join a class. Love doing it. Have the summer off and my new job is mom's taxi. How do you log in Zumba? I have been using dancing from the datadbase..:flowerforyou:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys :)

I'm Cilla--32, married and stepmum to a 13-year-old. I work full-time as a geologist. I find that fitting in exercise and all the things that go with managing the day-to-day needs of a family is challenging, and I've had to reassess my priorities and how I balance my time. Let's just say I don't vaccuum as often as I'd like (!) Nor do I watch as much TV anymore, so it's all good.

I attend Zumba classes with my husband at least twice a week, and hit the gym otherwise (the weather is heading towards miserable and wintery now, so we can't get out and walk or jog like in summer).

You all have the coolest jobs!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I'm Heather, 31, 2 kids (one 10 year old, one 9 week old). I'm an accountant. I'm trying Zumba for the first time this Saturday, I found a class near my house and found a friend to come with me. It looks like fun and I think it will be nice to get out of the house (still on maternity leave for another week and a half) and do something different....outside my comfort zone. Might meet some cool people in the meantime.

Yeah...how DO you log in Zumba?? I don't have a HRM yet. :smile:
  • Allieballie
    Options
    I"ve been logging it in as general aerobics. My hrm says I burn 800 calories during my 60 minute zumba class when I teach :)
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My names Kathy, I'm the mom of an 11 year old boy and 4 year old girl. I'm on my second marriage and we have been together for almost 5 years. I've worked in the medical field in the Nuclear Medicine Department for 18 years. I became the manager of my department 2 years ago, I was struggling with my weight before taking this position but sitting behind a desk for the last 2 years and the added stress has increased my weight by yet another 30 pounds. I figured if I can start moving more and eating better it will help my stress plus if I feel better I will have more energy to deal with mean ol doctors...

I went to Zumba a few months back and LOVED it, but the times just weren't working out with my evenings. Which is why I started (today) exercising in the mornings. I would like to get some DVD's any suggestions for some good ones that I can do in my basement at 5 AM :happy:
  • Allieballie
    Options
    I believe there are a set of cardio zumba dvd's that Beto has put out. I will double check and let you know :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 39 yr old American living in Toronto getting my PhD. Since that's super stressful, I'm happy to be surrounded by zumba classes, and I just ordered the DVD set on days I can't get to a class. I currently Zumba between three and four times a week, getting my other cardio from boxing, walking or other forms of dance.

I'm also thinking of getting certified to teach.

You can order the Zumba workouts on the zumba website, Kathy. I have been warned that since Zumba is so popular, there are lots of counterfeits around, so I was told to order direct, just FYI.

Shake what your momma gave ya! :flowerforyou:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm Sara and I'm kind of a rocket scientist... hehe. I'm 23 and just graduated from Cornell in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Spacecraft. I just moved to Northern VA in February to start my job at a company that designs and manufactures satellites. I work on the satellite structure as a mechanical systems engineer. I've been eating better and working out since Feb. with good results, my coworker LOVES Zumba and she's gotten me into it. I have my first class of the summer in precisely 30 minutes, and it's every Monday. I like to mix up my workouts with swimming, Couch 2 5K that I just started last week, and the 30 Day Shred. I'm excited for a summer full of zumba, I can shake my... um.... bum right off! Hehehe
  • henke
    henke Posts: 2
    Options
    You can add in exercises on this site. Just click on add exercise type in zumba, the time you spend doing it and calories burnt. You can adjust this for each class if you burn different amounts.

as you have saved it it will always be saved in your own exercises.
  • katthomas
    katthomas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    HI EVERYBODY! My name is Katrina. I'm 47, have 4 kids from 18 to 28 and 7 grandkids. I absolutely LOVE Zumba. Tonight I burned 850 calories in a 50 minute class
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm MaryAnn. I'm 42, with three kids ages 19, 16 and 13. I go to Zumba at the Y every Tuesday and every other Friday. I tried the DVD's but I just loved the class so much, I sent them back. (Plus they weren't cooperating w/ my DVD player.) Looking forward to Zumbaing with all of you.
  • KarenL30
    KarenL30 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have heard alot of people talking about Zumba...so what is it?? Let me know always looking for something new.
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    So happy to read all of your responses!
    I am happy because I think I figured out a non-rude way to try to get my teacher to do a little more variety. I mentioned a song that I really loved in my old class (the boxer) and offered to show her the routine to it. I am hoping that will give her a couple of more moves in her set, instead of doing cumbia moves when you are supposed to be doing merengue!
    I have to just say that she doesn't even use a simple salsa move!! I am DYING to get a little shake in my step, but the class does have several folks who need a zumba gold class (not hatin, just sayin)
    SO when I get certified, I am going to take it up a notch with the routines, AND start a zumba gold group in our area!
  • Allieballie
    Options
    I can give you a list of songs that I use for my class if you want any suggestions for songs. I try to change 'em up every week since I teach so many classes. i usually do a couple salsa, a merengue, a samba, a couple of hip hop, a reggaeton, a bollywood, bhangra, belly dance, a cumbia, and a quebredita...whew! :) On my 90 minute classes, I throw in some toning, with 2, 5, and 8 lb weights for resistance...
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Mallory. I'm 30 years old, married and a mother of two boys 8 and 5. I'm been a nurse for 10 years and I'm currently an A.D.O.N at the long term care facility I work at. I've struggled with my weigh since my husband and I started dating at 17. When I turned 29 I knew I didn't want to turn 30 and still be 288 pounds and I didn't. I've been doing the Zumba dvd's for a year and a half and the live classes for about 3 weeks now. I can tell a huge differnce with the live classes and love them. I find myself looking foward to it (until we're in the middle of a legs song and I've been doing squats/lunges for 2 minutes straight.

Nice to meet y'all.
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Karen, Zumba is basically a dance aerobics class that consists of latin beats and rhythms that you shake your booty to! It is high energy and very very fun! If you do a search for Zumba on youtube you can get a good idea of what a class might be like!

Mallory, what is A.D.O.N. ??

Allie, you probably burn SO many calories per week zumba-ing! When I filled in for my old teacher, I had trouble getting enough calories on those days!

So do any of you guys have a favorite song to Zumba to? I really love the bollywood inspired ones, and obviously reggaeton :)
  • yasjon
    yasjon Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello! My name is Yasmin and I am 30, married with two children (7 y/o daughter and 2 y/o son). I work in HR and also am working on my masters. I also did not want to turn 30 and continue to be overweight so I've started to make healthier choices. I've lost over 20lbs since March. I started taking Zumba classes in the last month and love them. I will probably get the dvd's... I look forward to getting to know you all! :bigsmile: