Low carb cod topping?

366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
I adore cod in batter and breadcrumbs, but now I am following Keto I cannot have wheat.

Is there anything I can put on cod which tastes exactly like breadcrumbs or batter?

I just bought some coconut flour, but I imagine that would make my cod taste like coconut?

Replies

• mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Soya flour and parmesan?
  • j_masher
    j_masher Posts: 18 Member
    I am Celiac so I use brown rice flour for hot wings and other battered items. Honestly, if you are low carb the wheat substitutes are going to be tricky. Not sure how many carbs you are trying to hit. :) I sort of follow Atkins because it is easier to follow as a Celiac. I have 2 cupboards with my gluten free items and none of them are low carb. :( It can be frustrating having to decide whether 2 tbs of rice flour is worth not overshooting my net carbs for the day. I grill most of my fish basting with lemon juice, olive oil and herbs. I also make the Greek tsatsiki sauce or a dill sauce which are low in carbs. Rice flour is my go to though if I want to carb cycle and my husband now prefers it on certain dishes when we fry. I may have to try the coconut flour. Tons of luck!

I found this recipe with the coconut flour. http://lusciouslowcarb.blogspot.com/2011/01/low-carb-batter-fried-fish.html and it looks good and the blogger says they do not taste the flavor of coconut.
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    a little mayo and crushed almonds : spread a thin layer of mayo and then sprinkle the crushed almonds on top before baking -- gives the same crunch as toasted breadcrumbs.

PS Trader Joe's sells "Just Almond Meal" for all your breading needs :)
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Maybe try pulsing some pork rinds in a food processor and combine with some Parmesan cheese?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Macadamias, walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc can all be ground up and used on fish. Not just "low carb" but healthy. Not sure using any other grain flour would be "low carb". Coconut flour is a good suggestion though.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    asparagus and butter. butter is salty like breadcrumbs. asparagus has some chew and can be crisp cooked slightly.

ETA: and pan fry or sautee your fish so it gets a nice crusty sear on one side. plate it with that side up. might give you all the elements you want. (nuts are a great idea above too, but when i was low carbing it they were not allowed on my version so if you can have them by all means try that.)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Many people put pork rinds in a food processor with some of their favorite spices and enjoy it lots.

Alternatively, of course, drown it in butter. ;)
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Egg wash, dip the fish in crushed seasoned Pork Rinds.. bake it versus frying (keeps the coating on better) THE BEST!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Many people put pork rinds in a food processor with some of their favorite spices and enjoy it lots.

Alternatively, of course, drown it in butter. ;)

This would be my first choice too, if I had access to bacon rinds! lol
  • 366to266
    WOW... THANKS, everyone. ... so many replies and ideas.... wow!

PS Believe it or not, there is no such thing as Trader Joe in the UK. I wish there was, as I see its produce listed on everyone's food diaries! Also we have a different kind of pork rind in the UK, I tried processing a pack and it turned into lard not powder :-(
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    I used to use this topping ALL THE TIME when low carbing. It is fantastic for coating fish, or making 'breaded' chicken/pork/turkey schnitzels and oven baked chicken nuggets:

Also in the UK- got most of these items from Holland & Barrett. Sorry there are no exact measurements, I never measure stuff!

- Handful unsweetened dessicated coconut.
    - Handful macadamia nuts

You can add whatever seasonings to the above ie: fresh rosemary if making a crust for lamb, grated horseradish for beef, thyme for pork, or parmesan cheese, or dill for fish. Season well with salt & pepper for flavour.

Blitz the above in a whizzer, coat your meat/fish in beaten egg and then sprinkle the nut crumbs onto the food (or toss in crumbs) and oven bake.
  • 366to266

- Handful macadamia nuts

Hi Laura... thanks... I just searched Asda, who bring all my food, and they don't sell macadamias :-( But I ordered the desiccated coconut.

What does "Blitz the above in a whizzer" mean? The blender? food processor? Stick blender, or can I do it by hand and save the washing up?
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    it sounds awful but....pork rinds seasoned with italian seasoning and parmesan cheese all crushed up work quite nicely.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member

- Handful macadamia nuts

Hi Laura... thanks... I just searched Asda, who bring all my food, and they don't sell macadamias :-( But I ordered the desiccated coconut.

What does "Blitz the above in a whizzer" mean? The blender? food processor? Stick blender, or can I do it by hand and save the washing up?

I use my mini-food processor but you can cover the nuts with baking paper/ or put in a sealed sandwich bag and whack with a rolling pin and it would do just the same job! Or use a pestle & mortar, or pulse in a food processor. You're looking for a coarse 'breadcrumb' texture.

P.S- you can spray the fish/nuggets with spray oil or drizzle with oil for a nice golden finish.

You can make a nice low carb tartare sauce which will go nicely with the fish:

2 heaped tbsp full fat mayo
    4 mini cornichons (mini gherkins) or 1/2 a large gherkin/dill pickle spear.
    a tsp capers
    a tsp fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped.
    a pinch of splenda
    Black pepper
    squeeze of lemon.

or a mixed herb mayo using ff mayo, fresh parsley, lemon thyme & dill.
  • boohe65p
    boohe65p Posts: 14 Member
    spread with a mild prepared mustard then dip into dukka and bake.
  • boohe65p
    boohe65p Posts: 14 Member
    spread with a mild prepared mustard then dip into dukka and bake.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    I use 'Maggi So Crispy - Herb and garlic' it comes in a little packet - loads of different flavours, all you will need is around 20g - you could even get away with less. It has 81.3 calories for 20g and 15.1g of carbs. I'm not sure if that's low carb though lol