Head Lice...

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just got an email from my son's school that the lower grades have had several confirmed cases of head lice.

If my son comes home with lice, I'm putting him up for auction. That's where I draw the damn line.

*shudders*

I'll trade you 2 lice free teenage boys for your younger kid.
    Maybe I'll get it right with a different kid.

Also, I like the shaved head thing. Even if they never have lice, at least they'll be properly traumatized.

/snort

I like you.
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    Much easier to treat a boy than a daughter with thick long hair! Been there done that, was a nightmare!
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My niece has thick curly long hair.....my sister took about 3 days to try and get rid of her lice!

She tried to come give me a hug and I put some distance between us an gave her a fist bump instead. LOL
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    My sister got it a lot as a kid, she used to have to cover her hair with Mayo and wear a shower cap to bed! buahahahaha
  • wantingmeback
    Options
    tea tree shampoo! it repels them! Im a hairstylist and it does work!

Really? Sweet. No joke, he shall bathe with tea tree shampoo and essential oil tonight *LOL*

Thank you for the tip!

It doesn't work!! My ex-husbands kids had that crap for 4yrs.... I hated sending my daughter to see him!! I after 4yrs found that brown Listerine is the only thing that kills those little demons!!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My niece has thick curly long hair.....my sister took about 3 days to try and get rid of her lice!

dry-heave-o.gif
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I just got an email from my son's school that the lower grades have had several confirmed cases of head lice.

If my son comes home with lice, I'm putting him up for auction. That's where I draw the damn line.

*shudders*

Also, I like the shaved head thing. Even if they never have lice, at least they'll be properly traumatized.

it is traumatizing...trust me...

when I was in grade 5, lice was making it's rounds....I only say this because it forms part of the argument presented to my mother by the hairdresser after the fact.....

my mom, being a busy SAHM of 4 kids, dropped me, and my two brothers off at the hair dressers while she took my baby sister to the pharmacy to pick up some things...

as she breezes out she says to the hair dressers, "Give them all the same"

what she meant was "Give them all the same hair style they got LAST time."

what the hairstylists interpreted was give them all the same hairstyle....

and they knew the two boys were getting number 1 buzz cuts....

i screamed when the razor took off my hair and I realised what they were doing...

i cried until my mother came back....

which she promptly lost her ****....

she said "I told you to give them all the same as they had last time."

she didn't...not really....she didn't finish the sentence....

and the hairdressers said, no you told us to give them all the same.....and it's lice season...so we thought you meant buzz cuts for all...

we think it looks cute....

(trust me it doesn't look cute and no...i have no pictures...I burned them. ALL).

sighs....it really is traumatizing.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Put lots of conditioner on his hair, wait for half hour or so, then use a lice comb to remove eggs and lice. The conditioner softens the glue that holds the eggs and stuns the hatched lice. Then add teatree oil to his shampoo so that it keeps them out. Worked with my kids.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    grossest thing I ever dealt with .....best of luck
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i'm surprised you made it this far without having to deal with lice.
  • odusgolp
    Options

*shudders*

it is traumatizing...trust me...

when I was in grade 5, lice was making it's rounds....I only say this because it forms part of the argument presented to my mother by the hairdresser after the fact.....

my mom, being a busy SAHM of 4 kids, dropped me, and my two brothers off at the hair dressers while she took my baby sister to the pharmacy to pick up some things...

as she breezes out she says to the hair dressers, "Give them all the same"

what she meant was "Give them all the same hair style they got LAST time."

what the hairstylists interpreted was give them all the same hairstyle....

and they knew the two boys were getting number 1 buzz cuts....

i screamed when the razor took off my hair and I realised what they were doing...

i cried until my mother came back....

which she promptly lost her ****....

she said "I told you to give them all the same as they had last time."

she didn't...not really....she didn't finish the sentence....

and the hairdressers said, no you told us to give them all the same.....and it's lice season...so we thought you meant buzz cuts for all...

we think it looks cute....

(trust me it doesn't look cute and no...i have no pictures...I burned them. ALL).

sighs....it really is traumatizing.

OMG! You poor thing!! That would totally be traumatic as a little girl! Not really the intentional GI Jane Bad *kitten* Buzz cut!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    i'm surprised you made it this far without having to deal with lice.

I feel quite lucky.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I got it once as a teen. And my older sister (8 yrs older) said she knew the perfect solution...Kerosene (a friend of a friend told her to do it). OMG. It burns. It blisters. It did, however, kill the bugs...but I will never EVER let her "help" with a problem like that again. My hair was extremely shiny and soft for weeks though. But the blisters on my scalp were a bother.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    Where do you get tea tree oil? My daughter has battled lice for the last few years. It finally took cutting her hair short (like a pixi cut) and combing thru her hair every 7-10 days. We did this for about a month.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nasty unhygienic creatures! Children I mean, not lice.

Shave their heads AND then paint their heads purple. Children I mean, not the lice, that would be very fiddly.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Where do you get tea tree oil? My daughter has battled lice for the last few years. It finally took cutting her hair short (like a pixi cut) and combing thru her hair every 7-10 days. We did this for about a month.

I have a bottle from Aveda & a bottle from Walgreens (by the vitamins, Nature's Miracle or something).
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My head just got itchy reading this, thanks for the dose of getting creeped out today

^ this
  • GreenTerry
    Options
    Get Greenbug. Greenbug is the greatest stuff ever as it kills lice plus those damn nits or eggs. Our kindergarten class had an outbreak last year that kept making the rounds and nothing was working. One of the Moms had a sister in SC who told her about Greenbug so several of us bought some and WOW - one miracle treatment wiped them out. And it happens to be safe, green, harmless, etc. which is a lot better than any of those smelly, poisonous over-the-counter medicines. I understand it also works to repel mosquitoes and ticks as well. But for head lice, I would use nothing but Greenbug - it is fabulous! www.greenbugallnatural.com
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i am itching like hell here remembering all the times I got them as a kid and having to sit in the hall way with the back door open coz the stuff to get rid of them smelt so bad it made everyones eyes watert lol
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Little boys don't often get head lice. Boys hair is usually very short and they're not like little girls who like to try on each others hats/coats/hairbows/hairbands, and little boys aren't hugging up to their buddies like little girls do..so little boys have the advantage in head lice wars, lol. Just keep his hair real short, so it would be easy to get rid of head lice just in case he does get it some day. Little girls would be a nightmare to comb through to get lice and eggs out.

My son has never had head lice, but his cousins who are girls have had it numerous times. They can't keep other peoples hats off their little heads, lol.