Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Zumba

miqisha
miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
For those of you who do Zumba and use a HRM (heart rate monitor).....How many calories do you really burn?

They claim you can burn between 500-1000 calories per hour...I wanted to see if that was accurate based on what my fellow MFPs have accomplished

Thanks

Replies

• packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    I am a Zumba *instructor* with a hrm. I burn at least 500 calories per 50 minute class. It is usually around 650. In Zumba Gold, I usually burn 500 calories in 50 minutes.

I have a list at http://rencsi.com/b/2010/05/calories-burned-during-zumba/ if you want see more of a breakdown.

Zumba hugs!
  • ladysw357
    ladysw357 Posts: 43
    I usually burn anywhere from 350-650, depending on how hard I actually work.
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    I typically burn between 450-600 calories. I burn more with a slower instructor because I can keep up and do more of the whole class instead of stopping to figure out the moves.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    I burn 400/hour during a lower/slower class and 450/hour if it's more upbeat. To compare, I only burn 325/45 minutes on the elliptical where my HR is between 160 and 17 for the majority of the time. I feel like it takes me longer/higher intensity to burn more calories than average. I do love Zumba though, and I'd rather do that for an hour than run and burn the same number of calories.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    I burn between 450 to 500 cals for a 55 min class. There are 30 people in my class so she takes it kind of easy on us right now since the class is only 1 week old. She promises to make it more challenging this week.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Thanks for the responce guys.....
  • katthomas
    katthomas Posts: 22 Member
    Did Zumba tonight. 50 minute class - burned 895 calories. The instructors are really intense. I LOVE IT!
  • 274650.png
    274650.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I used to do Zumba every Saturday for an hour and then when I tore a ligament in my left knee I had to stop the Zumba. I am walking and doing pilates now. Our instructor said we could burn 1000 calories in an hour.
  • Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Hi there. Zumba instructor here as well. I burn approximately 850 calories an hour when I teach an hour class. In a 90 minute one I'm up to about 1100 :)
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    I do an hour 3 times a week and I'll burn a minimum of 650 every time. The most I've burned is 750.

ZumbaZumba
  • The most accurate method will always be a HRM but for a quick and easy to use tool based on metabolic rate averages using your weight & workout intensity take a look at http://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt
  • lds7573
    lds7573 Posts: 1
    I found this zumba calorie counter here, http://www.zumbacalories.com/. I believe it's fairly accurate absed on my results and what I feel like in class. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.