Staying Disciplined When You Start to See Results

Options
Yesterday for the first time in months, I looked in the mirror and was pretty happy with what I saw. Here's my problem: rather than stay motivated to keep going, I usually take this as a license to slack off a bit. So I'll say to myself, "Oh ok, I'm doing pretty well, so I'll allow myself x, y, and z." Or I'll eat a meal until I'm WAY full (feeling like I'm about to burst instead of stopping when I'm about 80 percent full). I might snack a little more than I should or grab too many tortilla chips with my burrito at lunch. Stuff like that messes me up. For me, you can see, it's mostly about food. I work out because I love working out, and because I'm grouchy when I don't.

So how do you stay with it when you begin to see results? How do you keep going when you're on track to looking as fit as you want?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Interested to see some advice :smile:
  • vwalczak
    vwalczak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Same here!
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way today!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I user those results to double up my resolve: if I want to keep seeing results, I need to keep up the good habits!

When you see the results, sit down and write out five choices that got you where you are. Did you skip the chips entirely with your burrito? Have an apple, instead of dessert?
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was join a 12 week challenge. This way I am accountable to someone other than myself as well as I'm working towards winning a trip and money at the end.

I recommend looking for a goal to work towards so you have a constant focus and when you feel weak you say "pizza or my prize...what's more important"
  • sarahsunshine1217
    sarahsunshine1217 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think it is just determination.. After so many times of doing the same thing and then realizing I have gained all the weight back and then some. When I start looking and feeling good a continue to shoot for little goals. That is just me though
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same affliction! What sometimes works is, I make a promise to stay on track for one more week and then allow a treat. Of course, this was back when I was actually dedicated to losing weight and looking after myself!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just think about the past. When I've been feeling great about my body fat percentage, weight, and appearance, and I start blowing things off....and the scale and the clothes show it in a short amount of time! Then it takes SO much effort to get back where I was and I feel like I've wasted time and effort. I just keep reminding myself of that.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I think it's alright to indulge yourself occasionally - in fact, i think its necessary to not burn out while dieting. As long as you're not going wreckless abandon (like eating 10,000 calories worth of carbs over the course of several days), and keeping your splurge within reason, you'll be ok. Just my 2 cents.
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    Im so guilty of this! Im so in the zone right now, tired of going back and forth! I have a little treat ready for when I reach my goal... Im so excited and this is keeping me focused!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably something a lot of us experience (including myself) who aren't drastically out of shape/over weight, but aren't competing or anything either. The closer we get to our goals, the happier we becomes with ourselves on a day to day basis and the harder it is to keep up the same level of discipline and intensity.

I find that changing my goals helps some... drop another 2% body fat or shave 5 minutes of my last race time, those kinds of things. If my goals are "flat" (I just want to look good in the mirror), then it's a really slippery slope that never leaves me anywhere good. Continuing to push myself is the only thing that I've found to work.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This was a major point in my weight loss. Christmas 2011 I reached a UK 16, which at 5 ft 10" looked pretty good. I had also slimmed into my target clothes (a favourite old suit) and I considered stopping there.

I took the decision to push on and get to my target weight, and to help with that, I became more active on MFP and sought out active friends to keep me on track and I stepped up my work outs adding strength training and swimming. It took me a further 10 months to hit my goal, but I am so glad that I continued.

Keep pushing through, yes you are looking and feeling good now, but imagine how you would feel at your target weight?

Good luck.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If you aren't in the true mindset that you've changed your lifestyle, the best thing to do is join in a challenge group that will keep you motivated (if that will do it for you-some people join but don't really feel a sense of commitment so it really doesn't help them!) I joined one just to see what it would be like and if it would help (and I am new to my journey).. it helps me make the decisions that I might normally not give a thought to..like have a cookie or icecream and have to work it off, or just not have it. I am in one that gives weekly exercise goals ... this also has added exercises to my routine that I may never have been interested in ( and a few I know I don't ever want to do again..:laugh: ).

Good Luck to you! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I too am guilty of this!!!

For me, there is NOTHING that motivates me to step back from the cheesecake and step toward the barbells more than looking at my "before" pictures. I know for a fact that this does NOT come easily to me, it does NOT come naturally...I have to work, work, and continue to work. There is no finish line, so just keep running...because if you don't, you'll end up going backwards.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I did this until I relaxed too much and put all but 14lbs back on again - my biggest size was 311lbs and I got down to 238 and I just relaxed and starting missing workouts and instead of treats being treats they became the norm again - so I am very aware of that.

I was so nervous when I got to the 238lbs again as it stayed there for ages and I thought it was the knife point of going back up again - but I pushed through it and this morning I am showing as 205lbs, so I know I will keep going.

I know that last time I never used MFP and my eating was so unhealthy - starving myself, not fueling myself for my exercise and over-exercising ( and it came off much quicker) - and this time it is very different - but that reminder of how it did almost all creep back on is enough to make me vigilant of one too many indulgences or too much slacking off - I get so twitchy now if I go a day or two without exercise and am much happier when I get back to healthier eating but mfp and my uber geeky health and fitness spreadsheet keeps me on track lol
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started out on MFP. I now have to regularly set new fitness goals as my appearance has proven to not be a lasting motivator for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A little splurge from time to time is no biggie...just pick your spots. I see my friends who are naturally lean and intuitive eaters, and they splurge...they just don't splurge all of the time.

Generally, when I see results and achieve certain goals, it pushes me towards achieving even greater results and achieving greater goals. If I feel myself stagnate, I know it's time to re-evaluate my goals.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Non-food rewards help me a lot. If there's something I want that's not a necessity, I set some goal to reach before getting or doing it. The added bonus is that the reward is a reminder of the accompishment. I'm starting to keep my eyes open for a 100 lb reward.

Most of mine have been smaller items, but they're treasures to me.
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably something a lot of us experience (including myself) who aren't drastically out of shape/over weight, but aren't competing or anything either. The closer we get to our goals, the happier we becomes with ourselves on a day to day basis and the harder it is to keep up the same level of discipline and intensity.

I find that changing my goals helps some... drop another 2% body fat or shave 5 minutes of my last race time, those kinds of things. If my goals are "flat" (I just want to look good in the mirror), then it's a really slippery slope that never leaves me anywhere good. Continuing to push myself is the only thing that I've found to work.

Yes! I think this is the case for me. My goal weight is 5-10 pounds lighter. That last little bit takes the most dedication.
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I was so nervous when I got to the 238lbs again as it stayed there for ages and I thought it was the knife point of going back up again - but I pushed through it and this morning I am showing as 205lbs, so I know I will keep going.

Yay! That's great!