Replies

• SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Stop murdering good Guinness just drink it :sad:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I got this off a website, and I've made it before. It's soo good...especially if you like Pistachio like I do. The "crust" is from oreos, which is also another one of my favorites :) I posted the nutritional information below for anyone that wants that information.

Pistachio_Bar_Dessert.jpg

Pistachio Bar Dessert

Time Prep:
    20 minutes
    Total Time:
    4 hr 20 min

Servings Total:
    32 servings

What You Need:
    36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
    6 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
    2pkg. (3.4 oz. each) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding
    2cups cold milk
    1tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
    1/2cup toffee bits

Directions:
    MIX cookie crumbs and butter until blended; press onto bottom of 13x9-inch pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.

BEAT pudding mixes and milk in large bowl with whisk 2 min.; spread 1-1/2 cups onto crust. Stir half the COOL WHIP into remaining pudding; spread over pudding layer in pan. Cover with remaining COOL WHIP.

REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until firm. Sprinkle with toffee bits just before serving.

Nutrional Information (per servings)-
    Calories 150
    Total fat 7 g
    Saturated fat 4 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
    Sodium 180 mg
    Carbohydrate 19 g
    Dietary fiber 0 g
    Sugars 13 g
    Protein 1 g
  • coliema
    Options
    I've never made Corned Beef and Cabbage, I leave that to my parents and I go to their house for St. Patricks Day dinner, but this year I'm going to try to make it myself in the crock pot with this recipe, looks easy enough! (But I'm still going to their house to have it too :) heheh)

Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage with Herbed Butter Potatoes

Total Time: 8 hr 10 minutes
    Makes 4 servings

Ingredients-
    Corned Beef:
    3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
    2 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 small head green cabbage, cored, roughly chopped
    2 cups apple juice
    1 cup water

Potatoes:
    1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, sliced in 1/2
    1/2 stick butter, softened
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions-

For Corned Beef:

Put the carrots and onions on the bottom of slow cooker, and put the corned beef on top. Arrange the chopped cabbage around the beef. Add the apple juice and 1 cup of water along with the contents of the spice packet. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours until the beef is tender. Remove the beef and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.

For potatoes:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return them to the pot.

Add the butter, garlic, parsley, and salt, and pepper, to taste. Gently combine so that all the potatoes are evenly coated. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with corn beef and vegetables from the slow cooker.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I feckin HATE cabbage.
  • newlife0425
    newlife0425 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the calorie count is in the receipe did you figure that part out. Thanks
  • coliema
    Options
    I wonder what the calorie count is in the receipe did you figure that part out. Thanks
    Are you talking about one of the recipes I posted? I posted the calorie count for the first recipe, but not for the second one I posted. If you want the calorie count, I can do that when I get out of work.

The numbers are going to vary depending on the brand of food you use...so I don't know if you still want me to count it with what I use?
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you want trad Irish you need to be eating boiled bacon with the cabbage not corned beef !!

Boil the bacon .. then boil the cabbage in the bacon water and if you're brave enough drink the water afterwards like we had to as kids !

Don't forget the spuds .. boiled of course !

This is how we had it at home every week and my parents and family are from Galway.

I wouldn't say bacon is more traditional. Corned beef was just a delicacy that the British sucked out of Ireland.

Yep well that would account for why most Irish families would likely not be eating corned beef !!

I have never yet met anyone within my family and friends who would eat anything other than bacon with cabbage ... so start boiling and don't forget to drink the water :laugh:

Look, my mother is from Ireland and wouldn't have her family recipe any other way. It's your use of the word "traditional" that is troubling. Just because something at one time wasn't plentiful where you family was from and they subbed something else, doesn't mean that roast beef wouldn't be traditional elsewhere. That's like saying in America thin crust pizza is traditional and Chicago style isn't. It would be an inaccurate statement because different regions have vastly different traditional cuisine. I didn't say no one does it with bacon--I said corned beef is also traditional and actually has significantly deeper historic roots--then I actually provided evidence of that.

Other poster--no, it wasn't cheep (as demonstrated by the problem with supply and demand).
  • coliema
    Options
    Here is a recipe for a Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup, the sodium for this says 782 mg. Here is the link for that recipe, it's from that SkinnyTaste website, the soup looks soo good!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/corned-beef-and-cabbage-soup.html

Then I also found this recipe, but it says it has 819.4 mg of sodium, but it's actually cornbeef and cabbage and it isn't a soup. It says that this recipe is one of the lower sodium recipes for cornbeef and cabbage:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=256319
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All I know is the cabbage is nasty! So don't add any to my corned beef, please!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I feckin HATE cabbage.

:drinker:
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Add chopped onion, garlic, frozen spinach, mustard, and ground beef to a pot.
    Apply potatoes.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    If you want trad Irish you need to be eating boiled bacon with the cabbage not corned beef !!

Boil the bacon .. then boil the cabbage in the bacon water and if you're brave enough drink the water afterwards like we had to as kids !

Don't forget the spuds .. boiled of course !

This is how we had it at home every week and my parents and family are from Galway.

I wouldn't say bacon is more traditional. Corned beef was just a delicacy that the British sucked out of Ireland.

Yep well that would account for why most Irish families would likely not be eating corned beef !!

I have never yet met anyone within my family and friends who would eat anything other than bacon with cabbage ... so start boiling and don't forget to drink the water :laugh:

Look, my mother is from Ireland and wouldn't have her family recipe any other way. It's your use of the word "traditional" that is troubling. Just because something at one time wasn't plentiful where you family was from and they subbed something else, doesn't mean that roast beef wouldn't be traditional elsewhere. That's like saying in America thin crust pizza is traditional and Chicago style isn't. It would be an inaccurate statement because different regions have vastly different traditional cuisine. I didn't say no one does it with bacon--I said corned beef is also traditional and actually has significantly deeper historic roots--then I actually provided evidence of that.

Other poster--no, it wasn't cheep (as demonstrated by the problem with supply and demand).

Keep your hair on all I said was I never met anyone who ate corned beef :noway:

I have no idea what part of Ireland you mum comes from but outside of Galway I have family in Mayo, Roscommon, Dublin and Cavan none of who I have ever heard of eating the kind of corned beef are talking about (not the junk out of tins), maybe we are just piggy munching people in our family !

If that's your family tradition then enjoy it :drinker:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Don't argue over the authenticity of the recipes... I just said festive, it could be anything lol I love to eat and drink so I will be sure to try a lot of these in the upcoming days :) Thanks everyone!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    We don't generally eat much on St Patrick's day, apart from sweets and crisps and chocolate for those who are off them for lent. At about nine at night whoever needs to goes for a bag of chips and then comes back to the pub. The only traditional food I know of on the day is a full fry in the morning. A good breakfast is vital because unless you are a cheater, that's the one and only meal.

Irish stew in the Northwest only had balls of minced beef, carrots, onions and full peeled potatoes, simmer it up and once it's cooked add bisto. Very very simple.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    And aye, bacon goes with cabbage. Or turnips. It's many people's favourite meal here. I have never in my life met anyone who ate corned beef with cabbage though, the last time I seen corned beef was one from a tin 18 years ago in Co. Meath, it was eaten cold, in a sandwich. Interesting story though. I never knew that about this place, my Dad is 70, he didn't know but he said "ah'd well believe it". (translation for those who need it: I believe that)
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    ***taking notes*** a lot of the recipes seemed simple and sound good!

Although I doubt I'll eat as much as I drink, lol, since it's my birthday :)
  • tyhorveathsr
    Options
    tradition for a lot of ppl is corned beef brisket. Cook LOW N SLOW little bit of liquid smoke and covered fat side up at 250 for a couple hours and then 225 until it falls apart. Since its beef not the best low fat meal. Cabbage on the side steamed with a little butter. Potatoes boiled with parsley and a little butter as well. Butter just enough to taste no more. Salt and pepper to your taste.