Im 260 lbs how much cardio?

Options
Hi,i am currently 260 lbs down from 340lbs. How much cardio do i need to do in a 24 hr period to burn weight but not gain too much muscle? i really wanna lose another 60 as soon as possible. currently on 1000 cals a day, does that need adjusting too?

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    lol - 1000 cals a day! You wouldn't have the energy to do cardio.
  • charleigh_gee
    Options
    i do. so far done 45 mins today. when i was at my fattest i ate less than this.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You need more calories...then do enough cardio tu burn FAT...usually more than 20 minutes.:drinker:
  • charleigh_gee
    Options
    but surely if your eating more then how do you lose?
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do you want to drop the 60 pounds ASAP or safely? Your calorie intake is dangerously low at 1,000 for your weight!
    Muscle burns more calories on a daily basis - more muscle means a higher calorie burn while you are sleeping.

Exercise as much as you can as often as you can. Cardio, Strength Training, Flexibility Exercises, and Balance Exercises for an overall fitness.

I'm curious. what is your average meal and snacks for a day???
  • charleigh_gee
    Options
    send me a frends request and you can have a look, ill change it to friends only
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    u wont gain muscle in a deficit
  • Anewcrys
    Anewcrys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to be 263 and I would just do about 20-30 a day...but my starting weight was 263, and I would feel like I ran a marathon after that 20 min...
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Do you want to drop the 60 pounds ASAP or safely? Your calorie intake is dangerously low at 1,000 for your weight!
    Muscle burns more calories on a daily basis - more muscle means a higher calorie burn while you are sleeping.

Exercise as much as you can as often as you can. Cardio, Strength Training, Flexibility Exercises, and Balance Exercises for an overall fitness.

I'm curious. what is your average meal and snacks for a day???

Sue is right on!
  • charleigh_gee
    Options
    i dont wanna be muscley, just a bmi of 35. in order to fit nhs guidelines:grumble:
  • jeffies
    jeffies Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with Anewcrys... 30 minutes a day is a good bare minimum... as long as your heart rate is constantly up you should be good at 30 minutes! but you need strength training!! It will tone your body and create more physical changes in your body shape. 5 pounds of muscle is way smaller and firmer than 5 pounds of fat! The number on a scale is just a number!!!! I dropped 30% body fat and went down 4 dress sizes but only lost like 8 pounds but put on a ton of muscle and it was a noticeable difference in my frame.... when you have more muscle your metabolism is higher and will continue burning off fat throughout the day...

1000 calories isnt enough and surely you will be hungry. you need to make this a lifestyle change because once you go back to eating a normal diet again with higher calories the weight will come back on. check the internet for a TDEE online calculator to figure out how many calories your body needs on a daily basis to just maintain your current weight. you can then decide to remove 500 calories a day from that number or make sure you burn off 500 calories a day with exercise.

another thing.. you need to make sure your protein is high to feed your muscles. your body will use almost everything with protein and leave nothing for waste to store as fat.

food for thought :)
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to accidentally get "muscley." Women who have defined, muscular looks work HARD to get that way. You also aren't going to build muscle at an extreme calorie deficit. You are not eating enough. You need to fuel your body properly and focus on exercise as being good for your health. Strength training and cardio both have many benefits besides weight loss.
  • jeffies
    jeffies Posts: 2
    Options
    i dont wanna be muscley, just a bmi of 35. in order to fit nhs guidelines:grumble:

you can tone out the muscles to not look muscley... but you dont want the extra skin to just hang there either. you need to tone.. you need muscle... i was skeptical at first too but im so glad im doing strength training!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb if you are eating 1000cals you need to burn 1000 cals that should be about 180 mins on a treadmill or elliptical
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    try scoobysworkshop.com that should help you access the calories you need to eat. I would reccomend on the body fat reccomendation to aim for 20%. that is how I found my calories. it goes by age, height, work out level . they also have fat2fitradio.com

you are welcome to friend me and I will look to see what your doing and see if I can help you.
  • __RANDY__
    Options
    There are lot of people here on MFP it just don't know how easy it is for a woman to put on muscle keep doing your cardio and everything will be fine
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    At 1000 cals you are going to get a lot of flack. I suggest eating the amount of calories you need to maintain the weight you want to be. When you get there, no change.

When it comes to cardio, 3 hours a week is plenty, but if you can do 6, that's healthy. Remember this is a lifestyle not a diet.
  • __RANDY__
    Options
    I'm sure you already have very muscular calves you definitely don't need to do any weights to bulk those up anymore
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Surely if you can only lose on 1000 calories a day, you would want to build more muscle to be able to eat more to fuel cardio workouts?
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I do anywhere from 60-90 minutes of cardio a day.