Eating before or after workout?

Options
Hi. so im just curious..is it better to eat a small meal or snack before a workout? or to workout on a (relatively) empty stomach and then eat a small meal/snack after a workout?

Replies

• Carygalloway
    Options
    I'm new at this also but i was told to try and eat an hour before your work out and than eat something protein or fruit and hour into your workout.. i hope it helps
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hit up a protein shake before my workout. Afterward, eating is the last thing I want to do.
  • brentalanrhodes
    brentalanrhodes Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can tell a HUGE difference between a workout after a meal and a workout on an empty stomach. I have to have something on my stomach or I have no gas in the tank.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter...individual preference. I can't really have much before a workout...maybe a bit of fruit or something 1/2 hour before. I have my whey protein after I lift...if I've had some fruit before the lift, I'll just have the whey after. If not, I'll have some fruit and the whey after.

I do cardio on my lunch hour, so I at lunch right after I run. I lift in the evenings and have my little whey snack (and sometimes fruit) to aid in recovery, but also because I won't be having dinner for another 1.5 to 2 hrs or so.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whatever is going to allow you to work the hardest for the duration of your workout. Some people do better on an empty stomach, some people need some food. It's all personal preference.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a snack before a workout, I've just had waffles with peanut butter and jam + an apple and when I get back I will have my dinner, everyone has their own way of doing things, listen to your body it's clever at letting you know what works for you ????
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to eat before I workout. No matter if it is a run or I am lifting. Usually about 45 mins - 1 hr before. I also eat AFTER I workout, usually within 30 mins.
  • sarahmarieb36
    sarahmarieb36 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Definitely helps =)
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat my dinner, work out, and then load up on protein afterwards :drinker:
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I go for some food about an hour before I work out. I can't stomach anything for several hours after my workouts though-- kills my appetite.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i will eat something sometimes before my workout just something small but after my workout i eat dinner
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat before or after. Or both. Whatever gives you the most effective workout and is within your macronutrient guidelines.
  • evinjean
    evinjean Posts: 2
    Options
    I find when I've had a good carb before a workout it helps my performance more, but mostly I make sure to eat a good post workout meal.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, I cannot workout after eating - I want to vomit all over the place, and have actually had to stop a work out because I did actually throw up. After that episode I started working out on an empty stomach.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I can tell a HUGE difference between a workout after a meal and a workout on an empty stomach. I have to have something on my stomach or I have no gas in the tank.

my problem is if i eat before a workout i have too much gas in the tank and doing squats or ham extensions im worried about not having as much gas in the ol tank

i split my meals up as follows

breakfast - generally around 6:20-6:30am
    mid morning snack - pretzels - 9-30ish
    Lunch - 12:30
    Mid afternoon snack - granola bar - 2:30ish
    another snack - granola bar 4:30ish

home from work - protein shake - 5:15
    go to gym and workout - 5:30
    leave gym with a peanutbutter fantasy shake - either 7 or 7:30pm

tues and thurs i also play basketball from 8-10 so when i get home i have some popcorn
  • mmyers1129
    mmyers1129 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You should most def eat a something such a fruit light that will break down fast or pre work out supplement whey protein is also good as a pre work out it will give you energy to help you through your workout and eating high protein foods is not rec before working out because it take several hours for your body to break that down after you work out it is the most cruical time to eat regardless if you feel like it or not high protein then is essential because as soon as you are done your body starts to recover and rebuild itself and it will need that protein for the next 24 hours
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I eat before, nothing to heavy.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I workout after I get up for the day. I usually have not had anything to eat since dinner the the day before. I need food before my workout. I have breakfast, catch up on the news and then ready for my workout. Plus the coffee at breakfast, gives me some extra energy.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Both, but she needs to shower after the workout.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I can only work out well if I do it between 1-2 hours after eating. Then I have a shake after.